Supporting the Empire - What is some good answers you've given..

SmilesLikeJoker

I was just curious about something, and thought I would ask the general question here. The things you think about when you can't sleep lol.

There is a Sandie here that seems to be great at answering questions from kids and adults alike. Just straight off the cuff, he's great about always answering questions and always tying it to the Empire or Lord Vader or just something Star Wars related. Me? I'm not that great of a bs'er and have never been good at coming up with anything on the fly. I envy people that have the talent of the tongue so to speak.

So I was thinking. I wonder what other troopers say. What are some of the on-the-fly answers you've given to questions? The most rememberable answers normally bring the biggest smiles, laughs, or shocks by the people/kids around.

Let's see what you got....

Patrick

EDIT: Forgive the bad english in the subject title. I'm better at speaking 'red neck'. :P

Edited by SmilesLikeJoker

I remember being like you at the start.

I was quiet and listened and learnt from the troopers around you.

The UKG ethos is as follows,

We don't just dress up as a stormtrooper,

We become a stormtrooper.

We have to get into character and act as if we have just come from the Death Star.

Here are some examples that you may be after.

Q. Wow, that's a fantastic suit, where did you get it from?

A. It's standard imperial issue from the Death Star.

Q. Is that a real gun?

A. Yes sir, this is a real blaster.

Q. Can I hold your gun?

A, no sir, we are not permitted to hand over live weapons to the public.

Q. Where's Darth Vader?

A. He's on the Death Star. We are an advance scout party that have been sent on ahead.

Q. What's your name?

A. TK3796 sir

Q. Is it hot in there?

A. No sir, this is a fully air conditioned suit.

With a bit of experience behind you, you will turn this around from reactive questions and answers to you starting the questions.

Checking ID

Carrying out stop and search

Arresting people

Etc.

Have fun, stay in character :)

If I get stuck I just say, "you are not the droid I am looking for" or just "move along" :D

Edited by gmrhodes13

I always refer to people as Citizen. Noone in plain clothes is my superior. The best fun is when some cosplayer starts at a con, I lean in and say "That's not a weapon citizen [brandish E-11]... THIS is a weapon".

But seriously, I didnt speak much, what I did was start speaking to those that approached me, as I got comfortable with that, I felt better about approching them.

Some of the most common questions I get from the kids are the "Is that a real gun, or can I hold your gun?" I usually answer, yes this is a real Imperial issued blaster, and on the other I say either "It is against Imperial regulations to hand off or allow others to handle my weapon", or "No, children should not play with guns".

One of the best lines I have used at least once at every troop is when I'm taking pictures with someone and I say after the photo "Oops (or Wait), I forgot to smile." Always gets a laugh.

One of the best lines I have used at least once at every troop is when I'm taking pictures with someone and I say after the photo "Oops (or Wait), I forgot to smile." Always gets a laugh.

I like this, sometimes I use "Ooops I blinked, take another..."

I have a HUGE problem staying in character. Especially around the little ones. If I see a kid that looks scared or unsure of us, the stormtrooper in me goes right out the window and I become, goofy trooper. It's just how I roll....prolly get Force-choked pretty soon, but..lol

I almost always hand over my blaster to kids. Of course, it's at lower profile events, and I have a Hyperdyne Labs upgrade kit in my Hasbro...they love playing with that. Makes their smile get huge for photos.

I like this, sometimes I use "Ooops I blinked, take another..."

lmao

Some of the most common questions I get from the kids are the "Is that a real gun, or can I hold your gun?" I usually answer, yes this is a real Imperial issued blaster, and on the other I say either "It is against Imperial regulations to hand off or allow others to handle my weapon", or "No, children should not play with guns".

I was trooping today and I got asked if my gun was real, so "yes", then "if it's real, fire it"... so, "not indoors" and then "Ok, shoot the windows out, then the laser goes outside".

Kids can be inventive.

But I never, ever, ever hand my gun to a child. We are for show, we don't need to give ideas. Besides my gun is nearly all hand tooled metal, it probably weighs more than most kids.

If I see a kid who is scared, I step backwards, simple. I don't break character, but I do enough to alleviate the situation.

I don't feel that high-fives and waving and being a generally happy, friendly trooper is out of character. I've never known a soldier or police officer or fireman to not light up when a kid says hi, so why would a TK? So if a kid's a little intimidated, and a hi-five or wave will help them out (usually so Dad can get his photo op with the screaming child) it's totally within the bounds of being a representative of the Empire's positive image. Essentially we are PR TKs. (Public Relations)

That said, I have plenty of backstory, answers, and things ready to say. But I'm also always taken for surprise. The other day a kid came up to me and wanted to rock-paper-scissors me out of the room. When he lost, he came back a little later and insisted on a rematch, and I just said, No. Now move along.

There are also times when I'm a little goofy. I'm not against some YMCA action at a con, or reasonable things that make "citizens" enjoy us all the more. Nothing too crazy, and never on serious troops.

And one time someone asked where we were all from and I don't know what overcame my vocal cords... so I just pointed up at the sky.

One of things that I've seen them do here is when a kid is scared, they will turn their heads away from the them and put their hand up to cover their mask. I always laugh when they do it lol. Of course, there is always that one kid that just stands there and stares relentlessly. It doesn't matter what anyone does or says. The kid doesn't move lol.

I'm learning a lot from the troopers here. It's always nice to hear about other trooper experiences though. I don't think I'll have too much of an issue staying in character. I'm just not that quick on my feet.

Q: Are you hot in there?

A: Well the ladies think so...

Q: Aren't you a little short.....

A: I'm the one with the blaster, Wanna ask that again? Or, pin against wall with arms/legs spread in arrest type scenario. After a couple of troops you will soon get to "read" which members of the public re willing to play along and go with such a scenario.

Q: Where did you get your armour?

A: Standard Imperial Issue.

If question is pushed with genuine interest then individual is pointed towards one of our "spotters" ( some call them squires) for more info.

Q: How do you pee?

A: weenie head...pause.... "Like that Sir/Madam"

Q: Can I hold your blaster?

A: "Sorry Sir/Madam. If you blast someone its a forest of paperwork. Health and Safety you see." ( Europeans will get this . ;) )

Q: Can you see in that helmet?

A: Look questioner up and down disdainfully...." Sadly Sir/Madam, yes".

ie, Have fun, be a git but do it with tongue in cheek.

We were at an Autism bike ride fundraiser last night at the Microsoft store. While "posing" outside for pictures, one of the girls asked if I was able to pick any one up in costume. I told her it depended on the amount of alcohol she'd had. Of course she wanted to know if I was able to "lift" anyone up for pictures. Good times....

Usual responses...Vader's in traffic, I forgot to smile, Move along....

Your reaction with the crowd and comments you make are clearly determined by the reason for/situation of the troop and the people involved. I'm usually pretty "serious" when need be, but around the kids I usually play it by ear. If I need to be goofy to help a kid not be so timid or scared, so be it. At the St. Paddy's Day parade here, a very nice looking (and slightly inebriated lady) wanted her picture taken with me. She leaned in a said, "Wow, you look awesome!" and I said, "So do you!" Along the parade route, we were helping collect money people were handing to us for the Children's Hospital. I reached out for some money and the girl pulled it back and said, "No, you have to dance for it." Of course I obliged by shaking my groove thing. People cheered and got a good laugh. When indoors, I have kids ask if my gun was real and I would say yes. Then they would ask me to shoot it, and I would say No, someone might get hurt, or I don't have the money to replace the ceiling/windows. And of course, if I had a dollar for EVERY TIME someone said "Aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?" I could starting building a few more kits. ;)

I'm a bit tall for a stormtrooper, so when I get asked about being taller then the others I give them the "no I'm really Darth Vader doing the whole "Undercover Boss" thing"! That has gotten a laugh or two so far.

I love some of the other responses on this tread! I'm using a few for sure :)