Helmet Painting - which Grey?

Echo

Hi,

Various threads and tutorials show that either the Humbrol No.5 or the Testors #1138 are the best color grey for the helmet. However I read in a recent thread that some feel the Testors gray is closer to the original color rather than the Humbrol because of a shift in the color of the Humbrol paint. I know photo's aren't a good way to evaluate due to how camera's shift colors, but the image below does show there is a difference between the two.

Here's a test:

hoSjMfG.jpg

Thoughts and opinions on which is best?

humbrol changed their color. The testors 1138 is the closest match to Trooperbay Decals.

trooperbay decals were color matched by using a screen used helmet for the color he took pantone tools

and matched them in 2007. that's 6 years ago.

I have lids painted with humbrol, and I plan to repaint them with the testors.

even your photo shows the major difference in color.

the humbrol color USED to be darker back in 2009.

ANH_HD_Hero01.jpghoSjMfG.jpg

Excellent Vern, just what I was looking for...

Painting tonight and tomorrow. That's the last to be done for my suit. Hopefully submitting photo's for member approval on Sunday :)

Oh I know this was talked about in other threads, but just looking at the original helmet posted above, the blue on the stripes looks kind of on the dark side like the Humbrol Midnight Blue (Testors #1511) instead of the recently conceived Humbrol French Blue (Testors #2715)..

Is that just due to it being a photo and in reality it was lighter?

I've actually held a screen used ANH helmet and the grey looks a lot lighter in real life than the testors and the hero pic you posted Vern.

The pic of the hero is not the correct white balance for a start. Even the white looks grey.

It's really down to personal choice.

I'd say the Humbrol is a bit lighter than it used to be but the testors is a bit too dark in my opinion.

so mark... you're saying that both colors of the paints have changed?

I have helmets painted with humbrol and they are FAR too tan.

I go with the testors 1138 as it matches the colors.

in person when you look at the difference it's really pretty clear.

0B6M4Ly.jpg

old school... heheh..

it's all testors. 1138 for anh.

here's a photo comparison between a set of decals and humbrol on my TKC helmet before I repainted it with Testors

OvyHlyR.jpg

The humbrol on the ear is what's wrong... and the frown... look at the difference between the TRAPS and the TEARS

My BF has some vintage humbrol tins (late 70ies/ early 80ies) somewhere in the cellar. I guess it's about time to dig them out...

That would be lovely of you if you could! I'm guessing most of their colours are still made so comparing an old tin to a new one should be possible regardless of which paints your BF has saved.

On 3/23/2013 at 6:10 PM, TK Bondservnt 2392 said:

so mark... you're saying that both colors of the paints have changed?

I have helmets painted with humbrol and they are FAR too tan.

I go with the testors 1138 as it matches the colors.

in person when you look at the difference it's really pretty clear.

old school... heheh..

it's all testors. 1138 for anh.

here's a photo comparison between a set of decals and humbrol on my TKC helmet before I repainted it with Testors

The humbrol on the ear is what's wrong... and the frown... look at the difference between the TRAPS and the TEARS

I agree that the colour does look a bit lighter but I was surprised the original ANH helmet I handled was not as dark as it looks in pictures.

I'll try!

His father was an avid model builder, there must be dozens of tins. Maybe our favorite gray and blue are included!

Lovely! :duim:

this photo shows the contrast using one photo. the darker grey was the screen matched grey that mike from trooperbay

used from the helmet he had in his hands. (testors)

the ear cap and frown clearly are lighter.(humbrol)

since it's the same photo with the same light values it CLEARLY shows the difference IN ONE PHOTO!

most photo comparisons use different cameras and situations of light but this one is different because it's all in the same camera at the same time!

like the photo here

one camera one same light

hoSjMfG.jpg

one camera same light

You can't determine any shade of any color by looking at pics.

this is not the case in this situation!

one camera one light.

not 2 cameras in different light.

if it were 2 different cameras then your quote would be correct.

• 4 weeks later...

G'day, I've been restoring old and vintage toys for nearly 20 years and colour matching is something I've had to learn in order to complete the restorations. Looking at the two greys the Testors appears to have a touch too much blue where-as the Humbrol looks like it needs a bit more blue. In my opinion and experience if you can get a grey between the two I'd say you'd be getting closer.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...
29 minutes ago, Agewills67 said:

Interesting! But just ordered hum no 5 admiral grey to re paint thermal detonator. Shall keep you posted if they match, as only touching up?

WOW you really dug up an old thread here ;) 

I've been using spray can primer then go over with a gloss clear, no brush strokes with gives a nice overall finish

You can also use Testors Semi-Gloss primer Spray enamel, I've painted a few TD's using this and it was a very close match to the frown and traps but also similar to some of the decal kits you can buy.

Comes in a 3oz spray pack (85grams).