Help Out A New Member Who is Yet to Own Armour!

Hi All

I'm fairly new on here and I am yet to own my own trooper armour. However, I have been doing my research and have some ideas, but I thought I would run it through with you guys first. I have read many of the pinned posts on the "Getting Started" forum as well and have used this to help me find the right armour for myself. Living in the UK, I have tried to find things that are in the UK as to minimize shipping costs.

I was looking at getting myself some RS Armour and Helmet with the Fully Loaded Accessory Pack. Is this a wise choice for a new trooper? I was wondering if it would also be better if I pay the extra £200 to get them to assemble it for me or is it worth trying it myself? I am a little hesitant in actually building it myself due to my lack of experience. I know that there are a lot of useful tutorials on here that would help me out, but I was wondering if it is worth getting myself measured up for them to do it for me. I also saw that there are 2 options for the armour, ABS or PVC. Which is the better of the 2?

I also saw the SDS Battle Spec Armour. I know how much you guys hate SDS and I can also agree with you there. But I haven't actually seen any pictures of the Battle Spec Armour or read anything on it other than on his site. This would probably be a last resort option for me.

E11 Blasters is another thing that I've been researching on. I am thinking of going with a DoopyDoo kit. Do any of you have any tutorials on this kit? Are there any other blasters for myself to consider as well or should I try and find one on Ebay? I was also thinking of doing the Hasbro E11 Mod. Is this easy to do?

As I am not quite 18, and therefore cannot apply to join the legion, I have plenty of time to start saving my pennies to afford some armour. Any other help would be appreciated.

Thanks A Lot :salute:

I'll address the easy one first: The E-11. A great project to work on while you wait for your armor. I did the hasbro doopy doo mod for myself - at the time it was a money issue. The full doopydoo kit is fairly straight forward. Just looking at a picture can make it pretty easy to see how it goes together, but they are several progress threads in the weapons portion of the forums on people assembling them so you could use those as a step-by-step.

As for the armor, I can't personally attest to the ABS vs. PVC. As far as assembling goes though, I wouldn't let fear of assembling deter you. I had never assembled anything like this before in my life and I feel like I made my ATA kit pretty well. However, the pictures I've seen of fully assembled kits have been beautiful. Regardless, even with your measurements it is likely that you would have to do some tweaking here and there in order for the armor to fit you the way you want it to. Basically the trimming and initial assembly would be taken care of and there would probably be a few small changes that you might need to do. In addition, you've got a great garrison over there in the UK that would probably be willing to help you if you went the route of self-assembly.

There are also a couple of Attaches in your area that might be good to get in touch with as well who might have some advice on the local armorers.

UK: carbonitekid (UK Garrison/Vectis Remnant Squad www.ukgarrison.co.uk); FunkyTrigger (UK Garrison)

Good luck!

I would have them assemble it according to your measures.

It's priceless to have experts do the hard work for you!

it's worth every penny!

I would go PVC. it's stronger!

RS props are masters at making assembled armor.

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

Welcome I found the droids im new also so do me a favor? When rs responds to your email can you let me know I emailed them yesterday and am a little impatient for the reply...also if no else has said it yet get on youtube and look up Dave's garage I just watched them excellent tutorial videos on assembly.

I used the doopydoo's full resin kit and the final product came out well. The only thing you'd have to fabricate would be a scope and counter bracket which wasn't too terrifying.

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/4697-howto-make-a-metal-scope-rail-counter-bracket/page__hl__%20scope%20%20bracket

My armour is the PVC kit from RS Props and I couldn't be happier with it. I went with PVC primarily for its shiny quality, not to mention it's very flexible and I found it easy to work with for assembly. As for having them assemble it, do you live near their shop? I think they've had folks stop in to get measured in the past, can't get much more accurate than that.

I am new to all of this and after a little research I ordered a shadow stormtrooper complete armor suit from Jedi Robe there site looked and sounded very professional I am currently waiting, I just received a shipment email today they took all my measurements for sizing. While I've been waiting I have been doing more research which led me here. After reading the do's and don'ts and who not to buy from my stomach dropped, I spent a lot of money on the armor a little over $1600 US with shipping and thought I was getting the best I could get, now I'm not sure where I should go from here please help I want to join the 501st and want the best or as close to the best as I can get.

Scott, if you can cancel your order and get a refund, do so. If you can't, you can try to resell it on ebay (just don't say that it is a 501st costume or any of that stuff - it would be lies - just sell it as a "halloween costume.") And last resort, you'll have to do the hard work to get it up to spec.

A shadow stormtrooper (TX) is also a Spec Ops (http://www.501stspecopsdet.net/) costume. While assembly is pretty much the same and we're certainly happy to help you along here at FISD, you'll want to get more details and specifics about the shadow stormtrooper from the Spec Ops detachment.

Really? $1600? I am shocked, wow, sorry :(

Hi Boomstick, welcome to the FISD.

If you need any help, please ask.

My advice to you,

If your not in a rush....

Is to get the full Doopydoos resin E11 blaster kit.

It's about £40 only.

It's an easy build and there are many reference pics and tutorials to follow.

You will learn loads of skills during the build and pickup loads of info along the was about stormtroopers.

The finished blaster could be worth more than double what you paid for it once complete.

Once you've built this relatively cheap blaster, you will know if you have the construction skills and confidence to tackle a full suit.

The RS suit is a good choice.

Good luck.

Hi Ruck,

You probably can't send it back now from the US to UK.

If you can, then great, if not then let's move on.

JR constructed armour won't be form fitted to your frame. It's a generic build.

Try it on at some point, after your return negotiations are finished and see how well it fits you.

With black armour and a black undersuit, you will get away with more than a poor fitting white TK.

Be prepared to undo some of their construction and to re do it where required.

I'm sure you will get there in the end.

Good luck also.

Thanks all for your kind words and advice. I think I'll consider a DoopyDoos Blaster as I've heard everyone praise it. I haven't had chance to shoot up an email to the guys at RS, but they have their prices on their website, thankfully.

Time to start saving :salute:

Thank you for your feed back I don't think I can cancel the order cause its already been shipped, I'm gonna send an email and see if they'll take the return I work for UPS and I know if I don't open the box and refuse delivery they'll send it back without charge but I don't know if stormtrooper costumes will except it back ill see. I was just looking at there site again and they advertised that is is made out of 2.5 mm plastic that will not crack and also says that their proud that many costume groups including members of the 501st have bought there armor, that was the final reason I decided to purchase the armor from them that and the fact everything was included boots, gloves, blaster, helmet, undersuit, and blaster holster, they also said it was a true Shepperton replica. The big plus also was they put it altogether for you, and me not having any idea where to start this sounded like the right way to go. If I'm able to send it back, where should I look to get the highest quality suit? And will it be a kit or can I have a professional assemble it for me? I want it done right and be up to 501st code

Ruck, try RS. They make really good armour and offer an assembly for it (at an extra £200). You can also buy loads of kits as well and assemble them yourself if you want. There is a post an FISD that should help you out.

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/11538-the-various-types-of-armor-and-where-to-find-them/

Thanks to all that have helped me out with this matter as it turns out I was able to sent tha armor back they were actually really cool about it they have some sort of distribution center in Georgia so I am able to send it there with a full refund minus the shopping and handling fee which were like $105 bucks but live and learn at lease I'm not stuck with a subpar armor suit.

• 4 weeks later...

Heya, if you're looking for a fun project, I will have a very nice DVH E-11 pipe build kit I could put you on the list for. I should be shipping it within 2 weeks. It is 100 Euros, including shipping.