ABS or PVC?

I found out some new information on PVC and ABS in terms of uses and durability:

First of all, this link explains the differences in ABS and PVC for plumbing usage: http://www.diffen.com/difference/ABS_vs_PVC
ABS is coated with a UV protectant to keep from being degraded by the sun.  ABS is used for a lot of impact-resistant lightweight plastics, such as protective helmets and car bumpers.  It will crack when pushed past its limits, but the fact that it's the chosen affordable plastic (versus PVC) for those applications tells me something about its long term durability.  ABS is also used to make Legos, which surprised me.

I did some additional research on PVC online and learned a lot about it that I did not know.  PVC is a polymer resin that is filled with liquid Plasticizers.  These plasticizers are what you smell in a "new car" because they rise to the surface and evaporate into a gas, while clustering in confined areas.  The plasticizer is what gives PVC it's flexibility and durability.  Plasticizers evaporate with exposure to the heat and UV rays, and they wash off surfaces when washed.  As the plasticizers evaporate, it leaves the PVC less flexible, more brittle, and more prone to impact damage.

PVC becomes soft/flexible from the increased use of Plasticizers. Plasticizers tend to evaporate with exposure to heat, rain, and UV rays. This leaves the PVC less flexible, more brittle, and more prone to damage from impact. In essence, PVC is a brittle resin that is filled with liquid plasticizers, which improves flexibility and durability.

It is very easy to cut through PVC pipes.. I accidently broke one in half when using a weedwhacker on medium speed against my sprinkler pipe... whoops!  It cut a portion of th epipe, but most of it was snapped off very rough.  When I was cutting some pipe out with my saw, it wanted to chip and leave jagged edges when the saw entered and exited, rather than cut smoothly like it should.

Here is another mention of ABS and PVC durability in plumbing applications:  https://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/t31607/

I'm not badmouthing PVC at all, just explaining properties and experience with it, in terms of durability.  Sounds like both will be fine as long as they're kept out of UV rays for extended periods of time.

Both ABS and PVC deteriorate with UV exposure.  Water based Latex paint is considered one of the best UV protectants for both plastics.

Hope this helps someone else like it did me.  Does anyone have information on how quickly ABS ages and deteriorates from the UV rays?

When it comes to durability, both should last a long time if taken care of.  If you troop a LOT in the middle of the day in heavy UV ray areas (closer to the equator), you may want to consider this factor.  White PVC and ABS both discolor due to UV, ABS deforms when exposed but maintains it's flex.  PVC doesn't deform, but it becomes more brittle.

I also posted this on RPF, since there's so many original prop builders there.  They had this to say:  http://www.therpf.com/f9/pvc-v-s-abs-material-prop-making-196465/#post3066927

Edited by Kilryth

• 2 years later...
  • 9 months later...

I have read this thread with a lot of interest, and like other threads on here it is full of useful information, I too am looking at RS ABS or PVC. I'm small, so I will need to cut the armour to size, I mean really small 5' 5" so I guess I'm going to have to resize the butt, kidney and chest plates. I have looked at interest at Crickets build of an RS ABS costume which is very detailed and informative and I have a couple of questions regarding ABS and PVC, hence me asking them on this thread....<br><br>

I know an iron can be used to put the return edges back onto ABS, but will this work with PVC?<br><br>

Whilst you can use ABS paste to fill in any imperfections what can you use on PVC? <br><br>

Apologies if these questions are answered somewhere else, sorry I haven't been able to find them

• 4 years later...

Is there an equivalent PVC here in the States?  I really need to get my arms and legs started and finished.  Hard to find anything in mm and I think RS PVC is 1.5mm?  Just need to make my cover strips.  I got sent ABS by accident.

I'd still suggest contacting RS again, your email may have been missed, the issue getting any old plastic is there are very big differences in the color between suppliers 

Email reply from Andrea today.  She replied saying they will be shipped this week.  I'll start the learning process when received and doing the limb parts.  I think they are going to be the hardest of all the armor because of measuring arm and leg parts and adjusting.  It'd still be handy to have a local supplier but I don't know how often extra sheeting comes in handy for repairs and alterations later on.  Apparently I boxed myself in with PVC rather than commonly available ABS.

Once you have added cover strips that should be it, unless of course you put on weight ;) 

Great to hear RS responded

• 1 year later...

Love this thread! I have had an RS ABS suit for over 6 years. It has many many stress crack on chest plate, back and but plate. It also has yellowed. I bought armor whitening gel from trooper bay and it worked great getting it white again! But I have always looked off in pictures standing next to a non RS TK. I have been thinking about getting a new TK. I will be going with PVC this time around! Thanks for all the great info.