RainTrooper’s ATA Build

More Progress!!  I’ve been slowly chipping away at this build, and I’ve been slacking a little on taking pics as I go.  I’m in the home stretch, with just the strapping and snapping left to finish.
How does everything look so far?  SO excited to get this done and start trooping!!   :smiley-sw013:  

b490ceb3-0fff-4d81-983d-fa51d5f994e3_zps

IMG_3083_zps0ff95650.jpg

323a5ada-e910-4605-b928-8c8d347d311b_zps

IMG_3109_zps82716645.jpg

IMG_3110_zpsf5e684fd.jpg

Great work!

I've been following your progress on IG!

Thanks Ericia!  I see your kit is coming along nicely as well!  Yeah, I've been on IG quite a bit lately..  :P

Ugh! I've run into a snag..  After gluing the front and inner cover strips on my calves, the backs are way too wide open, causing a lot of tension keeping the closed .  I tried heavy duty velcro to close them, but they either popped open or tore the velcro off completely.  Looks like I need to heat bend them closed with boiling water or a heat gun.  I think I might try the hook and strap closure method once I've got them closing on their own.       

[quote name="RainTrooper"

Ugh! I've run into a snag.. After gluing the front and inner cover strips on my calves, the backs are way too wide open, causing a lot of tension keeping the closed . I tried heavy duty velcro to close them, but they either popped open or tore the velcro off completely. Looks like I need to heat bend them closed with boiling water or a heat gun. I think I might try the hook and strap closure method once I've got them closing on their own.

Avoid Velcro.. I had that setup on my previous armor and I'm so happy with the "bra hook" closure.. So much cleaner and easier to maintain

Avoid Velcro.. I had that setup on my previous armor and I'm so happy with the "bra hook" closure.. So much cleaner and easier to maintain

Yeah, I'll definitely be going with the bra hook closure.  But first, closing these calves!

IMG_3139_zps3d57bb99.jpg

Torso and thigh fitting!  Taped at the shoulders, now working on the white elastic at the shoulders.   How's it looking so far?  Is it common for the chin of the helmet to bump against the top of the chest quite a bit?   

IMG_3147_zps2bfdf78c.jpg

IMG_3148_zpsa7a964a4.jpg

It looks really great so far! Don't mess the arms strapping and you'll be perfect.

Your belt could sit a bit higher on your abdominale plate though, should be right under the ab buttons or slightly covering them;

med_gallery_12157_11_221217.jpg

and the drop boxe and your left seems not perfectly aligned with the end of the ammo belt:

med_gallery_12157_59_162657.jpg

Is it common for the chin of the helmet to bump against the top of the chest quite a bit?   

All the time! That's why you cannot bend the head down when in armor, you have to lean forward if you want to look down!

Thighs look great.. ;) never thought I'd be saying that to another man lol..my helmet bumps all the time so don't stress that

Lol just the other day manny told me my thighs were great too!

Your armor is coming along great cant wait to see you out on troops!

Yeah, I'll definitely be going with the bra hook closure.  But first, closing these calves!IMG_3139_zps3d57bb99.jpg

How did you go? I had the same problem. After glueing the fronts, I forced mine closed, taped them nice and tight, then gave them a boiling water bath in the kitchen sink for 20 minutes or so. Worked out great.

Thanks guys!  I'm in the home-stretch!  I finished all the arm straps & snaps, now all that's left are the shoulder bridges and the thigh ammo pack.  More photos coming soon!

How did you go? I had the same problem. After glueing the fronts, I forced mine closed, taped them nice and tight, then gave them a boiling water bath in the kitchen sink for 20 minutes or so. Worked out great.

I tried the boiling water method, but I don't think I left them in long enough.. I filled a 5 gallon bucket using big pots of boiling water, and tied the calves closed with webbing.  They closed up a little, but not all the way.  Also, I learned I was using the wrong velcro before, so I got the 'Industrial Strength' velcro and they now stay closed nicely!  

I take it the boiling water did not affect the glue from the front cover strips and sniper plate?

No, boiling water won't melt, soften, or affect E6000 at all.  I wondered the same thing at first, but no problems.  Cover strips and sniper plate in tact! 

I tried the boiling water method, but I don't think I left them in long enough.. I filled a 5 gallon bucket using big pots of boiling water, and tied the calves closed with webbing.  They closed up a little, but not all the way.  Also, I learned I was using the wrong velcro before, so I got the 'Industrial Strength' velcro and they now stay closed nicely!  

Ah excellent!  When I saw your shins on Saturday, I didn't think they had too much resistance to prevent closure with the industrial velcro.  Glad you were able to find the right velcro!

Thanks Ron!  I'm just a day or two away from approval pics!  Gluing shoulder bridges down and doing the elastic hold-downs in the back, then painting all the screws and rivets white... THEN DONE! :lol:    

So here it is!  My first full test fit!  I still need to paint the rivets, and attach the forearms to the biceps with elastic.  Not the best picture, but how does it look fit-wise?  Many more detailed, well lit photos coming soon!  First base approval pics, then EIB!!  
:duim:    :smiley-sw013:  

IMG_7427_zps6b823bef.jpg

So here it is!  My first full test fit!  I still need to paint the rivets, and attach the forearms to the biceps with elastic.  Not the best picture, but how does it look fit-wise?  Many more detailed, well lit photos coming soon!  First base approval pics, then EIB!!  

:duim:    :smiley-sw013:  

One word - Jealous!

Looking sharp man.  Looking forward to seeing the side and back shots!

One thing I'm noticing - the tops of your finishing strips for your thighs.  I believe they should be rounded off to follow the curve of the top of the thighs?

gallery_14191_18_365407.jpg

Edited by maxsteele

Shoulders look a bit off to me.. Other than that great fit!!

Thanks Caveman!  Yeah, the shoulders slipped back a little bit before the picture.  Need to figure a way to prevent them from falling toward the back of my shoulders.  Any easy fixes or is that just a common problem?

One word - Jealous!

Looking sharp man.  Looking forward to seeing the side and back shots!

One thing I'm noticing - the tops of your finishing strips for your thighs.  I believe they should be rounded off to follow the curve of the top of the thighs?

Ha!  Thanks Ron.  You'll get there soon!  I'm not sure about the top of the thigh cover strips.  I've seen them rounded and squared. I'll look more into it.  Just from walking around the house, I can tell I'm going to need to sand a few places here and there.

Awesome.  Thanks Germain!  I might trim the thigh back strips a bit then.  :duim:

Edited by RainTrooper