Ibnzbass4 Stunt Build (ATA)

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While the idea scared me half to death, I decided to not only paint my tube stripes, but to do them in the hand-painted style. Naturally I used Trooperbay's template! Let me know if these will pass muster. A few of them are a little rough along the edges, and a few corners rounded off a little. The glare makes it look like there are white spots, but there are none, The stripes are solid. Just a few glitches in the edges. What do you guys think? I will start shrinking my pics before posting after this.

Ā 

20131204_005438_zpsed968f00.jpg

20131204_005410_zps870ecbc8.jpg

20131204_005352_zps52bc220b.jpg

Ā 

Ā 

You will need the screw tips in order to mount the flat lenses (Unless you plan to make individual lenseĀ  ;)Ā ).

Ā 

First off, I really appreciate your feedback as you are always here to help out on my thread.Ā  :salute:

Ā 

I have looked through Panda and Trooperbay's posts/videos on putting in the lens. I am wondering whether that will work for me as I aligned my ear screws a little off in order to get them to sit right. I plan on using 1 lens, but I have considered putting a few (i.e. 3 or 4) wooden posts along the eye line and screwing the lens into them for mounting. Similar to what Alexey did in this post, but as a single lens.

Ā 

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/24950-ales-anh-stunt-ata-helmet-assembly/page-2

Edited by DroidHunter

Looking at the position of your ears i'm almost sure you'll be able to use them to set the lense in place ;)

Ā 

You can also do like Alexey did, it's a nice way to do it but it's less accurate (if you care about it). Also if you do that way the lenses will be tight against the whole eye opening, whereas with the original way to do it, the lense isn't flat against the bottom corners of the eye opening which help with the air circulation and preventing fogging.Ā 

Edited by The5thHorseman

• 2 weeks later...

Life gets crazy this time of year so I haven't had much to post recently. I did start to work on the lenses as a singe piece, but ran into a prblem due to the location of the screw holding the cap and faceplate together. So I decided to hold off until all of the painting is done so that I can rivet the two parts together. That should help. So in the meantime, I started painting. All I have left are the grill marks on the cheeks and rear traps. All hand painted so far. Sorry about the blurry cell pics.

Ā 

20131217_152435_zps22206521.jpg20131217_152455_zps5d3c4651.jpg

20131217_152507_zps27281783.jpg

When i told you to use the screws, i was referencing to the ones holding the ears, not the ones locking the faceplate into position. On the films it wasn't screws but rivets which locked the Faceplate and the Back so they couldn't use them to affix the lense ;)

I understood what you meant. It just didn't occur to me at the time that the anchor screws would get in the way. So once I'm done painting, I am going to use pop rivets to lock the cap and face together, then go back and mount the lens on the ear screws.Ā  :duim:

While the idea scared me half to death, I decided to not only paint my tube stripes, but to do them in the hand-painted style. Naturally I used Trooperbay's template! Let me know if these will pass muster. A few of them are a little rough along the edges, and a few corners rounded off a little. The glare makes it look like there are white spots, but there are none, The stripes are solid. Just a few glitches in the edges. What do you guys think? I will start shrinking my pics before posting after this.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

I can only hope that my tube stripes look as good as yours when I paint them. Ā  :)

Ā 

Also, those little glitches on the stripes can be fixed by scraping them away with a toothpick. Ā Practice on some spare ABS to see how the paint reacts when you scrape it, and then you can try it on your helmet.

Edited by maxsteele

Ā 

Ā 

can only hope that my tube stripes look as good as yours when I paint them. Ā Ā  :)

Ā 

Ā 

You are doing great.Ā  I'd be proud to wear that helmet.Ā  It really is nice work.

Thanks guys! Your comments are greatly appreciated. Keith, I'll be hitting you up soon after the holidays to get started on the armor!Ā  :smiley-sw013:

Well, my bucket is finally done! More or less anyway. I still have to attach the mesh and add some padding inside. I'm not happy with the ear gaps, but I know they are better than some of the ANH movie buckets so they will suffice for now. But otherwise its finished. Most guys get their entire suits done in the time it took my, but I do what I can. Now on to the armor!

Ā 

20140105_162516_zpszf1r7qh_edit_13889576

Ā 

20140106_063834_zps8jjiqeoa.jpg20140106_063808_zpsgnoat2x1.jpg

Ā 

20140105_162706_zpswnir8ule.jpg20140105_162614_zpsgc383h0i.jpg

Edited by DroidHunter

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This thread has gotten long, so as I actually start my armor build, I am going to start a brand new, less cluttered thread. This post will conclude my helmet build -- although I end with a question. (BTW Germain, I painted the darned screws!) I spent some time messing with some foam I grabbed at the hobby store and found a configuration that works well for my kit and my head. The pieces are just taped in right now. I was going to use velcro, but I'm not sure how to attach the velcro to the foam. Any suggestions. Can't find any good posts on this.

Ā 

20140119_164807_zpsbzutkwgb.jpg

20140119_164741_zpsmd3ubq1_edit_13901880

IMG_20140119_045858_zpsip5onk5b.jpg

Edited by DroidHunter