Ibnzbass4 Stunt Build (ATA)

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it OK if the holes in the ear don't match up with the marks on the cap? I really trimmed down the ear (perhaps too much) and my left ear (right as you look at it) measures up a little forward and below the mold marks. I have seen some pics if movie buckets and that ear seems to sit a little low with a slight counter clockwise turn. Mine will as well. Will post pics shortly.

That's a relief. I attached it last night and will post pics later. Don't know how to do it from the phone. I put the top screw in and it wasn't sitting right so I took it out and drilled again. Everything is covered by the ear but if I had to start anew, it would be a bit swiss cheese like under there. I will post pics with the top 2 screws in a bit.

Now that you are to the final stages of the ear, I would recommend picking a final resting spot and marking it. This will make sure you are fitting the ear to the same spot on the helmet with each tweak.

I couldn't find anything thin and long enough to so through the hole in the ear to mark the cap. I should have just outlined the ear itself. I finally ended up using a toothpick that I dug into a crayon. I then used the small bit of crayon on the end to mark the second hole

20131117_084717_zps321deaab.jpg.

20131117_084816_zps17d92181.jpg20131117_084841_zps2ccf3cf5.jpg

Edited by DroidHunter

Is this correct as far as which set of templates goes on which side of the helmet?

20131118_171120_zps18cd9f19.jpg

I believe this template is set to go on the side they are when you look at your helmet, as you have it laid out in this pic.  So in this case, the template on the left goes to the "left" side of the helmet when looking at the helmet (which is the actual right side of the helmet), and the right template goes on the "right" side when looking at the helmet (which is the actual left side of the helmet).

Thanks my friend. I appreciate the advice.

I am having trouble with the second ear because the face plate and cap back don't fit together at all on that side. I don't want to rivet anything down right now but am considering putting a second screw about 2 inches below the first in order to pull the pieces together. Any reasons why that might be about bad idea?

The way you have the templates is the way they go on the helmet.  Trooperbay prints them out like that to make it easy. I don't know what method you are going to use for paint application (brush, airbrush) m=but make sure all the edges are smoothed out around the strip openings or you will have bleed under them.

I don't know what method you are going to use for paint application (brush, airbrush) m=but make sure all the edges are smoothed out around the strip openings or you will have bleed under them.

I plan on painting them by hand, so I will take care to make sure they are as flat as possible. I also saw a post that recommends painting the tube stripes white first in order to seal any possible bleed points in the template.

Pictures please!  You don't want anyone to visualize the issue and provide a solution, only to find out that their idea is different than your problem!

Here is the gap I mentioned. Just wondering if I should put another anchor point (that will still be under the ear) in order to help with the mounting process. I would trim the cap back more in order to get rid of the molding ridge, but then it won't overlap the faceplate.

20131120_063947_zpsf65f17a1.jpg20131120_064033_zpsb20aa747.jpg

Edited by DroidHunter

I mounted the top two screws after finishing about 90 percent of the ear trim. Overall, the ears are ok, but still need some work. On the left ear as you look at the helmet, I plan to trim more around the front of the upper section (red line) in order to close the gap at the cheek area just above the tube. Then I am going to bolt the face and cap along the edge of the tube under the ear in order to bring the two section together. Hopefully that will pull the front gap along the tube closer in. Eventually I plan to rivet the parts together and cut down the screws along the inside, but not until after the lenses and the painting is done.

20131122_085539_zps8e7c4bf1.jpgIMG_20131122_095519_zps654db171.jpg

Edited by DroidHunter

When painting the traps, do most people mask off the area (assuming templates are not purchased) or simply paint free hand? Seems like tape would be necessary in order to get those nice straight lines. If so, is there a recommendation for either blue painter's tape or sign vinyl? I have a large sheet of vinyl I am going to use to make my own templates for the trap stripes, and just wondering if that would be better to use than tape.

I finished up both ears and mounted them with 3 screws each. I also went ahead and used a second screw assembly to anchor the left side of the cap to the face. This made the ear fit better. So, the right ear has the gap in the front and the left ear has a gap in the back. The question is, will this pass approval? Let me know what you think.

1ced648d-2c55-4ff6-8556-69533826a1a0_zpsedb3c2e2-82f4-45ea-a0a9-dbadaa1b75d6_zps

806b45f5-39d0-46fa-aa44-c3f611bae44a_zps1ec04707-87b6-4e8c-8ae0-336710cbce99_zps

26335c34-07cc-4a37-8739-8a20476a1521_zpsa857b43e-a74e-4c23-b0e4-0cb3aca5f615_zps
Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Edited by DroidHunter