Ibnzbass4 Stunt Build (ATA)

Just a suggestion. If this is something that doesn't concern you, then disregard this. Where you have the brow line cut to now, the brow trim will end up IN the trapezoid exposing the bottom paint line. I have always trimmed it to the end of the trap so the brow covers all the paint. The blue line is where it would end up now and the red is trimmed a little further.

That's really good advice. I wasn't sure on the angle of the trim so I wasn't sure how deep to make that cut. Like I said, easier to take off more than to take off too much. Thanks for the suggestion.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't be to concern about where your brow is ending, there is no canon position. Below you can see an original helmet with the brow ending in the trapezoid:

DaveMANH08.jpg

So it's really as you prefer!

Though, as Steve i personally prefer when all the trapezoide is covered :)

Good luck with your build

• 2 weeks later...

Small progress. I finished the second eye. I was really nervous about working on the helmet as it is such a visible piece, but so far I am happy with the results. The eyes came out better than I had hoped. Now on to the teeth. I started the first one. Before I continue, does this look right. I have examined a hundred screen shots, but it is still hard to decide when to stop on my own bucket! I tried to stay parallel with the frown lines. Let me know if I should trim it more. I picked up a 10-piece file set that worked really well.

20131102_110806_zps59bb5cee.jpg20131102_110832_zpsd49ae7da.jpg

20131103_182126_zps101bb291.jpg

20131103_182208_zpsb732067f.jpg20131103_182230_zps0c5c79f5.jpg

Darn phone took blurry pics....

I think they're looking good!  One bit of advice I received when I was carving my teeth is to have the top and bottom parts of the holes slant with the frown.  You could possibly take some more off the top and bottom of each tooth here and really make them match up with the direction the frown is curved.

I think they're looking good!  One bit of advice I received when I was carving my teeth is to have the top and bottom parts of the holes slant with the frown.  You could possibly take some more off the top and bottom of each tooth here and really make them match up with the direction the frown is curved.

I have followed your thread and took heed of that advice.  :) But maybe I should shave the teeth down more. Trying to decide where to stop isn't easy -- so all advice is welcome. Here is another perspective:

20131107_062608_LLS_zpsd4938323.jpg

Did a little more sanding and trimming on the cap and the faceplate. As recommended, I also brought the trim of the cap back to line up better with the temple trap. The I used a few clamps to see how things lined up. I have some magnets but they weren't strong enough to pull the sides together even though they are rare earth magnets. How is this looking so far?

20131108_154451_zpscb30c239.jpg20131108_154728_zps5291bbac.jpg

Clearly the right side pictured above (left as you wear it) fits together pretty well. However, ....

20131108_154517_zps915bcead.jpg20131108_154829_zps82369fd4.jpg

The left side pictured above (right as you wear it) does not sit together and requires quite a bit of force to hold them together. That will make drilling rather hard I suspect. Now I just need to decide where the hole in the faceplate will go to match up with the hole indicator on the cap.

Now you are at the stage where mistakes can happen. Not that any other stage they CAN'T........but anyway.   Find a nut and screw that is the same diameter of the rivet you will use to hold the two halves together. Separate the halves and drill your mounting holes IN THE CAP ONLY. Then pick a side to begin. Realign your cap against the face piece but  MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE ENTIRE BROW TRIM FITTING TIGHT AGAINST THE FACE FROM EAR TO EAR. This is the mistake that happens a lot. Once you pull it tight AND have that eye corner/trapezoid alignment confirmed on both sides, mark the face through the hole on one side only! Drill that out and insert your screw and nut and tighten it down. Once that screw is in place, you can be free to mark the other side at will without having to worry about anything moving or slipping out of place. Make sure to pull it tight to the face. Once you are happy, mark/drill the other side. With the screws, the two halves will still be allowed to pivot allowing you to further refine the placement of your brow line. It is STRONGLY recommended to place a rivet further down the line toward the bottom on each side.DSCN0901_zps62e1a55b.jpg

Edited by gazmosis

I really appreciate that advice! I realigned the brow again using four clamps just to make sure the faceplate was snug against the cap along the brow line. I also used some blue tape along the inside forehead line just to secure the whole thing. Since the left ear (again, right as you look at it) sits more flush, I aligned the indentation of the cheek tubes and taped that side down. With everything sitting as flush as possible and taped/clamped down, I used a pencil to mark the faceplate hole. I then disassembled and drilled the hole. Since the ATA kit comes with a screw assembly for the helmet, I attached the cap and faceplate with one of the assemblies and re-clamped the brow line. So far, so good. Now I just need to mark the other side the same way and I will post up some pics.

Ear question for you guys. First, let me point out as others already have, that the ears are unholy buggars forged in the fiery pits. Second, I started to work on the left ear (right as you face the helmet) last night. I believe this is the more troublesome of the two. Anyway, I am curious if I have trimmed this enough or if I should shave it down more. I am rather happy with the shape right now as it sits nearly flush without being secured in any way. Let me know what you guys think.

20131115_062103_zps36efdd95.jpg20131115_062120_zpscddb51c8.jpg

20131115_063709_zpsd3d4ab24.jpg

20131115_062304_zps03b58694.jpg