which armor set?

I'm looking at which set of armor to purchase this summer. I currently have a set of SDS armor and I've received ordering information on AP armor, but I'm wondering ( as I can't find the link) which armor is the most screen accurate. I'd like to put my own set together. Primarily because I think it would be fun and also to support those who contribute to this hobby. I already own two helms and two blasters, but as many of you already know, one is never enough.

i have an AP and i love it!!! one of the most screen accurate. If your in UK talk to Troopmaster his is awesome, all personal preference though. like i said before i love my AP, but keep in mind if you go for screen acurate you are going to be looking at armor that fit people 5'11 and skinny, but somepoeple have an AP and are 6'6 (moded i suppose). no real one answer.

It depends on your definition of screen accurate. If you mean closest to a screen used suit that would be TE2. If you mean most faithful representation of what was seen on screen (ANH/ESB), arguably the closest out there is TM.

It depends on your definition of screen accurate. If you mean closest to a screen used suit that would be TE2. If you mean most faithful representation of what was seen on screen (ANH/ESB), arguably the closest out there is TM.

Ā 

I just received my TE2 full suit and I like it! And I am hoping to get a TM as well. And IMO both are just as great. But I do not understand the logic of the comment, if the TE2 is closest to a screen used suit than why is it not the most faithful representation of what was seen on screen (ANH/ESB)?? Just curious and try to learn more for TK armors. :)

agreed :rolleyes: Another point that needs to be made is that the TE2 armor is styrene and the AP is ABS. Styrene will require painting and is a bit weaker than ABS as far as flexibility goes. The AP is nice but not as accurate as I would like. MY personal preference will always be TE2. Guns being pretty cool is a big plus too. :)

Ā 

The TM is a fan sculpt that has captured alot of the nuances of ANH that the TE2, AP, Gino, and other recasts of the ROTJ original armor used lacks. You see the the ROTJ armor is all that we have, and is as close as we can get to the ANH armor. It was recast about 10 years ago and reworked to resemble ANH, but it really lacks a few minute details that need to be added back into it. So far the TE2 is as close as anyone has gotten to getting it right.

TE2 hands down best bucket out there. But as mentioned TE2 is made out of styrene. A styrene helmet isnt so bad because unless youre as clumsy as the one TK on the deathstar you shouldn't be banging your head onto stuff, the rest of the armor can see quite a bit of abuse so I'd recommend ABS from the neck down. I'm going FX from the neck down unless anyone want to cut me a smokin' hot deal on some AP....

Well that about clears it all up :P

Ā 

So how is it that after the success of ANH, no one held onto an ESB set of armor? How could they all just disapear or get thrown away? I realize this is the wrong thread for this but what the hell its Friday.

Ā 

So how is it that after the success of ANH, no one held onto an ESB set of armor? How could they all just disapear or get thrown away? I realize this is the wrong thread for this but what the hell its Friday.

Ā 

Thank the good Lord it's Friday!!! I've had a crap week and my wife won't let me get more armor.... :lol::lol::lol::blink: Actually that's not funny. I reckon they still did not really understand the pop culture impact SW was having...Besides there was what 5 troopers playing different roles????

Ā 

Ā 

I believe ESB suits were reconditioned ANH suits. Amazing what new hand plates, and a paint job can do.

But I do not understand the logic of the comment, if the TE2 is closest to a screen used suit than why is it not the most faithful representation of what was seen on screen (ANH/ESB)?? Just curious and try to learn more for TK armors. :)

Ā 

I believe what Paul means is that we know the lineage of the TE, which is cast from a ROTJ suit, and then adjustments made for the ANH (like reversing the AB buttons and such). The TE2 came from TE. (I believe this is all PC and I have not stepped on any toes) :huh:

Ā 

Now, TM has worked to get his closest to what is seen on screen in ANH. I have no idea what methods were used, so I cannot speculate.

Ā 

I think the biggest thing to keep in mind is the evolution of the suits between ANH and ROTJ. Considering the number of changes for the suit in ROTJ, reverse engineering it to represent what we saw in ANH would be a task.

Ā 

I totally think both sets are much, much better than anything I can do, so I give props to both.

agreed :rolleyes: Another point that needs to be made is that the TE2 armor is styrene and the AP is ABS. Styrene will require painting and is a bit weaker than ABS as far as flexibility goes. The AP is nice but not as accurate as I would like. MY personal preference will always be TE2. Guns being pretty cool is a big plus too. :)

Ā 

The TM is a fan sculpt that has captured alot of the nuances of ANH that the TE2, AP, Gino, and other recasts of the ROTJ original armor used lacks. You see the the ROTJ armor is all that we have, and is as close as we can get to the ANH armor. It was recast about 10 years ago and reworked to resemble ANH, but it really lacks a few minute details that need to be added back into it. So far the TE2 is as close as anyone has gotten to getting it right.

Ā 

I see, thanks! I was confused and forgotten the ROTJ factor. :)

I believe what Paul means is that we know the lineage of the TE, which is cast from a ROTJ suit, and then adjustments made for the ANH (like reversing the AB buttons and such). The TE2 came from TE. (I believe this is all PC and I have not stepped on any toes) :huh:

Ā 

Now, TM has worked to get his closest to what is seen on screen in ANH. I have no idea what methods were used, so I cannot speculate.

Ā 

I think the biggest thing to keep in mind is the evolution of the suits between ANH and ROTJ. Considering the number of changes for the suit in ROTJ, reverse engineering it to represent what we saw in ANH would be a task.

Ā 

I totally think both sets are much, much better than anything I can do, so I give props to both.

Ā 

Ā 

Thanks! B)

Another point that needs to be made is that the TE2 armor is styrene and the AP is ABS. Styrene will require painting and is a bit weaker than ABS as far as flexibility goes.

Ā 

The TE2 is HIPS, which is nearly the same resilience as ABS, while being lighter and easier to work. And as seen in the TE2 helmet tutorial, Rustoleum makes a spray enamel that gives a finish identical to polished ABS. So to me, that's no concern. :)

Ā 

--Jonah

The TE2 is HIPS, which is nearly the same resilience as ABS, while being lighter and easier to work. And as seen in the TE2 helmet tutorial, Rustoleum makes a spray enamel that gives a finish identical to polished ABS. So to me, that's no concern. :)

Ā 

--Jonah

Ā 

HIPS (High Impact Poly Styrene) lacks the amounts of Butadiene that ABS (Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene) has making it more brittle than ABS. HIPS also known as "Styrene" is a hobbyist friend and is easily formed with great detail on most home vac forming set ups (shop vac, table and the wifes oven). ABS requires a vacuum pump and a decent set up to get a good pull on the platen. They both have their advantages, but as far as strength goes ABS is stronger.

Ā 

That being said, I still prefer the TE2 armor because of its detail and accuracy. I will give up a little strength for better lineage. Now if Guns ever offers the TE2 in ABS??? Whoa!

HIPS (High Impact Poly Styrene) lacks the amounts of Butadiene that ABS (Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene) has making it more brittle than ABS. HIPS also known as "Styrene" is a hobbyist friend and is easily formed with great detail on most home vac forming set ups (shop vac, table and the wifes oven). ABS requires a vacuum pump and a decent set up to get a good pull on the platen. They both have their advantages, but as far as strength goes ABS is stronger.

Ā 

That being said, I still prefer the TE2 armor because of its detail and accuracy. I will give up a little strength for better lineage. Now if Guns ever offers the TE2 in ABS??? Whoa!

Ā 

I'd pay top dollar for that! Even if it was $1500 just for the suit.

Data points for clarity, for those who know what to make of them. :)ABS versus HIPS. And note that there are optional additives that can give HIPS better impact resilience, but it costs more.

Ā 

Also, I scare myself with what I'm going to be doing with my armour. It'll be a foundation to build on, rather than "simply" trimming it and hanging it on me. So HIPS is more appealing to me in this instance than ABS.

Ā 

--Jonah

Considering that FX is the lowest level of accuracy that the 501st accepts, and the fact that the helmets are steadily being phased out completely, I'd say FX is your best bet if:

Ā 

1) You simply can't fit into any other armor, e.g. you're over 6'2" 220lbs

2) You're on an extremely tight budget

Ā 

RT is ABS, pre-trimmed, and much more accurate looking than FX for only a little more money. IMHO, RT is really the "new FX".