I heard the warnings, but.....

WhiskeyScroggins

Long time lurker, first post....

So I realize ebay is generally considered off limits, but (and I'm sure this is how every story starts) I think I found a deal too good to pass up.

Here's the listing (added description from auction below in case link doesn't work):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/501st-Stormtrooper-Armor-/111029294856?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&nma=true&si=%252F1JZtYtVoia8yb85t1CRqXSk%252FvM%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

501st Stormtrooper Armor

Specifics:

-Armour is of the FX brand.

-Helmet is ATA brand and is fitted out with trooper bay padding on the inside for a comfortable fit.

-Boots are size 12 however I can walk in them with my size 10 foot without difficulties.

-Blaster is a Hasbro that has been upgraded with the doopy-doos e-11 mod.

-icomm with amp included in sale (voice system including a static burst system)

Now I'm sure this isn't the biggest, baddest, most accurate armor available, but for the price ($600) fully assembled with blaster, boots, voice system, etc. it seemed like a pretty good way to "get my foot in the door"?

Love to hear your thoughts?

Thanks,

Scroggins

Well, it does "get your foot in the door".

But you won't be happy with FX armor in the long way and you'd want to replace it some day, and you have to mod the currentarmor to your sizes

And a hasbro blaster even with doopydoo's looks cheasy, so why not builder a more decent one?

And believe me, your feet will hurt on long troops with the wrong size of boots,even if they're larger.

Why not start from scratch with a new kit? It may be a little more expensive, but you'll be happy for a long time

Edited by Sonnenschein

My view on ebay armor is that you shouldn't buy from folks who are "armor vendors". Once and awhile you will find 501st members or other prop collectors (who know their stuff) who are selling quality items on ebay.

Looks like you found an FX. At this point, it is passable for 501st membership. BUt if you've been lurking around these forums I'm sure you've noticed that there are better alternatives to the FX armor.

My view on ebay armor is that you shouldn't buy from folks who are "armor vendors". Once and awhile you will find 501st members or other prop collectors (who know their stuff) who are selling quality items on ebay.

Looks like you found an FX. At this point, it is passable for 501st membership. BUt if you've been lurking around these forums I'm sure you've noticed that there are better alternatives to the FX armor.

Def understand there are better choices, but for $600 fully assembled with helmet and accessories it seemed like a "deal".

Welcome to the FISD Scroggings.

When your ready, please post up some pictures of you in your new Armour.

We will pass critique and offer suggestions of how to improve it if required.

You are correct that we try to discourage eBay Armour, you know that we promote a good looking accurate build, but at the end of the day, it looks like you want to be a Stormtrooper and that you want to help out on the 501st.

Def understand there are better choices, but for $600 fully assembled with helmet and accessories it seemed like a "deal".

It's how I started out mate....then you'll dip your toe in, next the foot.....& here I am 2 years later in my 3rd TK kit lol.

........I'll never forget the first time I put on that FX and walked into the public domain..10 FEET TALL!!

Do what you feel - it's all kit, it can be tampered with, sold on, etc.

Edited by TK9477

Just got an email from the seller confirming it is original FX (not recast) including instruction manual. In addition to the accessories mentioned above he said it also includes a neck seal from Troopermaster, and a body suit, so literally "ready to go". Was previously owned by a 501st member from the Indiana garrison. So all in all for $600 seems like a pretty good purchase all things considered.

If you're set on it, no one here is going to be able to convince you otherwise. You are right, the fact that it includes everything makes it alluring. It's a sight better then $1000 for a rubies that isn't even approvable.

remember CFO sells kits on e-bay ;) i think the don't buy from ebay brush is a bit too wide

Maybe a little too wide. But CFO and other vetted seller are available here too and every "newbie" gets all the correct information.

So CFO didn't lose any business if were warned anybody about the 'ebay as the were redirected :)

I've looked at the pictures and I have a bad feeling about this deal. Don't.

Yes I am writing this so you can't count me as one of those who failed to talk you out of it, there are assembly problems on that thing. It will not look like what you had expected and you will get tons of questions -after- that you couldn't see yourself ask -before- sealing the deal.

For example: who puts velcro on the front of the thighs?

And where are you gonna get the finishing strips with matching white color to fix that?

Why is the helmet incomplete and missing meshes on the frown and mic tips? (ATA sells complete kits if I'm well informed)

How could it be approved 1 year ago with a plastic belt?

Is that a kidney and butt plate together in one piece?

Where do I get a new canister/detonator?

Why won't my local garrison approve it?

See where I'm getting at? :) Also wait, the guy didn't write that it was 501st approved 1 year ago, so basically he just mentioned 501st there to put it in your mind, and my guess is: it didn't get approved and was given by the local garrison a list of modifications that were so extensive that he was given the advice of selling the thing and paying for a new kit.

That's what i think happened to the seller. And with the requirements evolving constantly, you will be given an even bigger list if you buy that kit and ask us how to get it up to 501st requirements.

Ok speaking in general: We help each other a lot by giving advices, warnings, how-to's but I think we should stop right there. Sure I love my fellow star wars fans but if they ask/read our advice and ignore it anyway (completely natural), it's their problem. If they can't sell their mistake on ebay because a guy like me jumps in and tells everyone interested how flawed it is, that's their problem. If consequently they can't afford a new kit because of guys like me, that's their problem. We give advice on how to get the best armor for your budget, if that hurts another 501st member trying to get rid of his kit, so be it.

Edited by Nicky

You will drop your money on something you think will be ok and regret later, save you money, save up a liitle more then buy an awesome armor and never look back :D

Yep. My first kit was FX. I didn't know about the FISD until later. I was just doing a TK for a cool Halloween costume. Then found out about FISD and got a little more educated. I ended up paying more than I thought to get it up to code. I sold it to garrison member after about a year and a half and now working an ATA.

You will regret getting that armor. So if you do get that be prepared to hear "Nope" and "We told you so."

Edited by DarthBrute

It looks to me like a legit FX kit from a 501st member, not that I'm an expert. It comes with lots of great accessories that make it convenient. And it already has "most of" a helmet upgrade. So for convenience it's not terrible.

But don't think you can ever buy a fully assembled kit and not have to take it apart and rebuild it in places! :) Even non-FX stuff. And I can't see the details but hopefully it's not held together with rivets. That someone said it's got velcro in the leg seams it makes me worry this was not built according to modern specs and will take more work than you think to UNbuild it.

If you (or whoever) bought it, here's what I recommend for starters. Not to make it EIB per se but to to get it looking much better.

All that said, someone did buy it. More power to them. Now we help that person along to get it shining and up to code :D

Thought I'd follow up and let everyone know how this has turned out (so far). I did make the purchase, and the armor/accessories showed up in 3 boxes. Everything the seller said would be included was, however the armor was slightly more used than the "only worn a couple times" mentioned in the listing. The seller was very good with communication and we settled on a partial refund. All in I got the entire thing including all the accessories (E-11, neck seal, ATA helmet, i-comm/aker unit, boots) for a total of $500. The strapping system appears pretty good for the most part, double snaps almost everywhere, etc. The armor is assembled using the "overlap" method with velcro, and the velcro has shifted in some places, etc and isn't the "cleanest" right now.

Here are the steps I am taking to "refurbish":

1) Bought some Novus and will work on getting all the scuffs out.

2) Think I'm going to remove all the velcro and glue the front joints and re-velcro the backs.

3) I have to replace the velcro front part of the belt, there was a crack that was repaired but has yellowed.

4) Going to try to firm up the helmet a little, screws seem loose, visor is just resting inside, etc.

5) Have followed LadyinWhite's adviceand purchased:

- New button kit from VaderDave

- New canvas belt from TKittell

- New gloves (and hand pieces) from Trooperbay

Will consider the cutting of the back/kidney, but makes me nervous.

Any other ideas?

I dry fit to a mannequin I purchased last night (as this is where it will likely spend the majority of its time) and am generally happy with it. Will try to upload a pic.

Back and kidney needs to be cut for A New Hope TK, yes.

The helmet needs to be finished. Meshes on mike tips, behind frown. Your own boots that fit you if you're gonna troop. Paint the ear screws white. Make the O2 Canister/detonator correct according to CRL, or replace if needed. Glue shoulder straps/bridges on front to chest, and let float in back with 2 small elastic bands. Affix thigh ammo pack to correct location on right thigh.

http://www.501st.com/databank/Costuming:FISD_CRL

The helmet needs to be finished. Meshes on mike tips, behind frown.

Sorry for nit-picking here Nicky. What you wrote above might give people the idea that mesh behind frown is mandatory. CRL says "Mesh may be used behind the frown to obscure the face of the wearer." For example balaclava does the same thing. I think it's up to the wearer to decide what to use.

Regards,

Osku

Ah, no it's not part of the CRL. Thanks for the correction. How I remember not even screen used had them. Haven't seen any have them actually. Just on our builds :)

Wearer shall then ignore. Like they so often do.