AP armor build Jan. 10 2008[*AP]

OK, here goes. I have spent weeks reviewing and soaking up info from you guys. I recieved my AP armor yesterday and took right after it. I have rough cut the plastic completely and am starting on sanding and prepp.

The helmet was tedious but I think I have it cut. Please guys let me know what you think of the eyes and teeth. I went off of many of your recommendations and checked out the Starwars helmets site and trimmed, sanded, trimmed some more, and sanded. I have ordered a #3 green shade face shield from a local weld shop which I am going to cut and use for eyes.

I also looked at a pic on the starwars site, that the green film is on an original showing thru the teeth as TE said in another thread. I am not sure what to do there yet. I did cut them square as many of you said to do. I am a gunsmith so I have many small files, and a dremel is a life save.

OK Let me have it. Let me know if the eyes are enough or if I need more.

I will update pics as I have them. I did have questions that Mark from AP graciously answered. Excellent dealing with him, he returns questions promptly.

I am still cutting and getting ready to go after paint.

Should I use the decals on the helmet or paint many of the items??

Looks like you did a great job on the face. Eyes look absolutely fabulous. Im a fan of frown holes a little more rounded but what you have going on there is great. For trooping armor I'd recommend decals for the traps, tears and tubestripes. Paint the vocoder, frown and ear ranks. For a collectable go hand paint for everything. For mesh behind the frown I put in a veil of 1/8" foam sheeting with some velcro in my bucket and it looks great inside and out.

Looks like you did a great job on the face. Eyes look absolutely fabulous. Im a fan of frown holes a little more rounded but what you have going on there is great. For trooping armor I'd recommend decals for the traps, tears and tubestripes. Paint the vocoder, frown and ear ranks. For a collectable go hand paint for everything. For mesh behind the frown I put in a veil of 1/8" foam sheeting with some velcro in my bucket and it looks great inside and out.

Ā 

Smitty,

Hey I know I seen it somewhere on these forums but I cannot seem to find it again. What colors do I need to get to be accurate. Color of gray and blue??

Thanks for the info

That left eye could be cut a bit closer around the hump and on the inside a bit, but otherwise it looks good.

Ā 

Humbrol Ad Grey 5 but you can also use Testors grey #1138

Ā 

Ok on the eye, can do. I kind of thought that myself but didnt want to go to much and ruin it.

Just the bottom part? and thanks for the number on the paint?

I found that the Testor's 1138 paint is lighter in color than the grey in the stickers. I don't know if this matters or not. I used their spray version which I think has a number 2138. I prepainted my frown and ears using the fusion flat white paint as a primer on the plastic.

HEY MAJOR QUESTION??

When looking at putting the helmet together why doesnt the two pieces match up well, and how do I solve the separation issue The lower portion doesnt come together

HEY MAJOR QUESTION??

When looking at putting the helmet together why doesnt the two pieces match up well, and how do I solve the separation issue The lower portion doesnt come together

Ā 

Once you pop rivet the helmet together the parts will be a little bit tighter. The ears also take up the slack in this area too. trim the front of the ears pretty much by following the lines. Test fit as you go. The back of the ears are a different story. They need to be rounded off a bit more. Check out the tutorial I did and look at the back of the ears.

Ā 

As far as the left eye goes.... The inner part needs to be closer cut I think... Thew bottom a bit too. Mostly I noticed that the inner part needs a bit of meat taken off... Just a LITTLE.

Ā 

I could put it together for you for a small fee :)

Like it was said before, I'd take out a little more around the eye, just to remove that lip we see in the pictures.

Ā 

Your frown holes look great, after a little sanding to make them smoother, they'll come a little more rounded and that will be just perfect IMO.

Ā 

As for the ears, that's the way it is on my AP, one you will fit the first inner screws, and then the bottom screw and the ear screws, that join will disappear under the ear and the fit will be seemless. Just take your time on the ear, and don't worry about what you won't see :)

I used testors grey 1138 and Rustoleum Satin black spray paint for the black. I couldnt find satin black in testors brush so I sprayed into a a cup and brushed from that. Dont talk to me about ears. I hate ears. I bondo-ed my ears so I have no gaps. Check out TK-4510's helmet build thread. Its a TE2 but will be very similar to the AP. Mikes a pro at helmet building. Theres a link to his build in my signature.

Once you pop rivet the helmet together the parts will be a little bit tighter. The ears also take up the slack in this area too. trim the front of the ears pretty much by following the lines. Test fit as you go. The back of the ears are a different story. They need to be rounded off a bit more. Check out the tutorial I did and look at the back of the ears.

Ā 

As far as the left eye goes.... The inner part needs to be closer cut I think... Thew bottom a bit too. Mostly I noticed that the inner part needs a bit of meat taken off... Just a LITTLE.

Ā 

I could put it together for you for a small fee :)

Ā 

Hey Mike, I took your advise and cut the right eye some more. It looks much better. As for the other part, I watched your tutorial. and it helps. I am still having problems. holding the helmet together to line up and drill hole also the helmet still acts like the back part is warped a lot which doesnt let the whole thing come together. I will advise what I come up with. I am headed to Walley World to get paints, and such for the rest of the helmet.

Jay

Hey what color of blue is used for the buttons???

Ā 

I think its Humbrol midnight blue, but I havent touched it in a while.... I will look when I get home tonight.

Ā 

And Just so everyone is aware... I figured out that there is no testors satin black in the bottle anywhere.... What I used in the tutorial was basically any satin black ENAMEL. No water based stuff either. I will take a pic of what I used when I get home.

I think its Humbrol midnight blue, but I havent touched it in a while.... I will look when I get home tonight.

Ā 

And Just so everyone is aware... I figured out that there is no testors satin black in the bottle anywhere.... What I used in the tutorial was basically any satin black ENAMEL. No water based stuff either. I will take a pic of what I used when I get home.

Ā 

Ā 

Mike,

Hey I got the first holes drilled and rivets installed. That did help with the ear problem a little. Hey I did notice something that I am not sure about. The helmet fits really tight getting it on my big mellon, little guy big mellon, who thunk it. Well is there something I can do to make it a little bit easier to get on. I dont know if I can trim it, redrill it, or what. Also is there a distance that the forhead should come down to be correctly positioned for a stunt. 1/4" / 3/16 or just guess. I mean I can eyeball it from your pics but was just wondering.

Jay

That pic looks about right for a stunt brow. Also try turning your head sideways to get it in the bucket.

Ā 

Ok, thanks Smitty. I wasnt totally sure and didnt want to make the final drill holes until someone else looked at it. Sideways does work getting in the helmet just hits my ears a little. I got the ears looking pretty good. I will probably finish up on Monday. Waiting on #3 green welding hood to come in so I can cut it up and make eyes. I got paint today, and will paint on Monday to.

Thanks

Yeah, that looks good from this angle. Nice job on the eye too. By the way its Humbrol midnight blue 15...Finally got a chance to look!!!

Ā 

Ahhh, where do I find Humbrol midnight blue??? I did find the gray at Crafts 2000, last bottle they had.

Ok, here is the helmet almost finished, still have some painting to do and add the hovis

I painted the inside with the fusion flat black. used a #3 faceshield and cut out the lenses my self, used 5 min. epoxy to hold them in. Mixed it, set for 3 min. quickly added glue, pushed and held lens for another 3 min. till solid.

A trick to clean up epoxy, paint, and anything else on APS or polycarb. I used Birchwood Casey gun scrubber Synthetic safe cleaner, purchased at any Walmart. Will not harm plastic but quickly removes the glue I used, paint, ink, pencil.

Let me know what you all think.

Fantastic. :) Nice job, everything fits nicely.

Ā 

Thanks Mike,

had a few good instructors..... I really appreciate all the help.

I am now in the process of painting the black.

I penciling it out now.

I purchased a batting helmet yesterday and I am trying to modify it to fit. It is a challenge though. Cut a little move a little.

I will let put up pics as soon as I am complete.

What type of helmet did you purchase? I spent two hours at a Sports Authority a few weeks ago and could not find a single helmet where the liner was removable. I then looked to see if I could even make something work, and had no luck. If you are willing to share your finds (you have been awesome at sharing your great work so far, so this might be an unneeded request), I would really like to do the same. I am working on my next bucket for my TD, and I would really like to do something more than the hardhat liner.