Need help with straps, webbing, and Cover Strip Method.

Sorry, I am at a bit of a loss. I just got my RT-Mod and would love to head all the way up to Centurion. BUT, I cannot find comprehensive information on the new standards.

First off, what is the "Cover Strip Method"?

Is there a good guide on creating the straps and stuff that hold up the suit? I went to a troop yesterday and the methods two troopers used to hold up their leg armor was completely different. The look was the same once on, but when getting dressed, they were opposites.

Problem is that the how-tos might be out of date with the new standards. Not sure.

Thanks

Hopefully this will help you some: ------

This one has a couple of good drawings that show the difference between the 2 very clearly---------------

Are you going for ANH, ESB or ROTJ? Because I think that might make a difference for which method you're going to need to do if you go for Centurion.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

Sorry, I am at a bit of a loss. I just got my RT-Mod and would love to head all the way up to Centurion. BUT, I cannot find comprehensive information on the new standards.

First off, what is the "Cover Strip Method"?

Is there a good guide on creating the straps and stuff that hold up the suit? I went to a troop yesterday and the methods two troopers used to hold up their leg armor was completely different. The look was the same once on, but when getting dressed, they were opposites.

Problem is that the how-tos might be out of date with the new standards. Not sure.

Thanks

Hi Ron,

Congrat's on selecting the RT-Mod kit, Rob makes awesome gear. I've just finished my 501st approval build and I'm finishing off the last couple of things to submit for EIB approval, so my comments relate to ANH specifically. Late last year there were changes to the Centurion requirments, although you can't access the threads because you're not an approved TK yet. The threads are in the detachment only section of the forum.

The whole list is as follows:

• Side and crotch rivets must be split rivets. No brads. Head size: 8 mm.
  • Must use movie correct assembly method, Cover strips for ANH & ESB, overlap for ROTJ.
  • Ab plate button plates must be a 1-part pieces, no separate buttons.
  • No FX armour.
  • Thigh ammo belt must be attached to thigh with cap rivet or split rivet in the upper corner.
  • Sniper knee plate must be correctly aligned with the ridges on the shin.
  • Sniper knee plate must not have visible rivets.
  • Boots must either be worn or not and match condition of armour. Do not mix battle worn boots with pristine armour or the reverse.
  • Any battle wear must be light. No TD-style weathering.
  • Drop boxes are vertically aligned with the end of the ammo belt without gap between belt and box.
  • Drop boxes must have inner drop boxes. No flat covers.
  • Thermal detonator belt clips must be positioned near the end caps (roughly 1/8" apart).
  • No more than 1 black stripe on each ear (ANH). 2-3 stripes per ear (ESB & ROTJ).
  • Require AM chest and back armour to be replaced with a screen accurate version.
  • Require AM shoulder bells to be replaced with a screen accurate version.
  • Remove the word ideally completely from existing wording

Basically you need to decide now if you're going to head for Centurion, and if so assemble using the Cover Strip method as per the suits in the original movie. To be honest it really doesn't cost you any more to build to Centurion level from the start, and it's much easier to do it as you go along, than to come back at the end and update it.

Here is the link to my build thread to give you an idea of what the RT-Mod looks like when assembled using this method :- http://www.whitearmo...-thread-rt-mod/

As far as your choice of strapping goes my recommendation would be to check out TK's in your Garrison to see how they've done it. As you've already mentioned you've already seen 2 different setup's in only 2 suits, and you'll see more. I wrangled for awhile & it's a great way to get an idea of why people set up their suits in a certain way. I asked heaps of questions and took on the ideas I liked the most and incorporated them into my build.

Good luck with your build, and most importantly have fun.

Cheers

Craig

Edited by BIDS

I've just finished my 501st approval build and I'm finishing off the last couple of things to submit for EIB approval, so my comments relate to ANH specifically. Late last year there were changes to the Centurion requirments, although you can't access the threads because you're not an approved TK yet. The threads are in the detachment only section of the forum.

I have been following both your build thread and, of course, Darth Aloha. Are you going for Centurion? Is there anything in your build thread that is currently not allowed for a Centurion? I know I have to first become a TK, then EIB, the Centurion...but I want to build the suit once and the right way!

Just a note here, i don't believe the new Centurion requirements are in effect yet. In fact, good note to check on the status of those.

Second, it's awesome that you're going for Centurion - we love a great looking shiny! - but focus first on the EI build. The one exception is the sniper plate, make sure this is glued not riveted.

Cover strips are easy. There's a chart on like page 7 or something of my build document (see link below my sig).

Good luck!

Just a note here, i don't believe the new Centurion requirements are in effect yet. In fact, good note to check on the status of those.

True they are not in effect as yet but they may be by time Ron goes to apply, I would still build to those requirements just in case, and really there is not that much extra to do.

I know I have to first become a TK, then EIB, the Centurion...but I want to build the suit once and the right way!

That is the way to go, so much easier aiming high from the start, just keep an eye on the small details and you will be right. Even though the new CRL's are not in effect I did build to them and it was not that much extra work. If any new changes are made to the CRL's in the future I would still modify my armor to match, I think once you reach that level you should try to do what you can to stay at it. Good luck with the build and if you need help just give one of us a shout :D

Hey ron look no further i can help you go EIB then Centurion i helped TFdarside and i am just getting the last of the stuff i need to finish mine. I would love for the DSg to have three centurions.

Hey ron look no further i can help you go EIB then Centurion i helped TFdarside and i am just getting the last of the stuff i need to finish mine. I would love for the DSg to have three centurions.

Troopers helping Troopers :jc_doublethumbup:

Yes sir!! I will keep you posted too! I am still buying the mats and tools. Should be ready to start in 2-3 weeks once I have time to read all the above links!

I have been following both your build thread and, of course, Darth Aloha. Are you going for Centurion? Is there anything in your build thread that is currently not allowed for a Centurion? I know I have to first become a TK, then EIB, the Centurion...but I want to build the suit once and the right way!

Yeah mate, Centurion is the Plan. I've built to allow for this from the start as it's much easier to do it as you go.

Looks like you've got plenty of Local Help mate, which is awesome. Good luck with your build.