Need help with thin area in a AP helmet

Help. Newbie with a problem.

I was working on my AP helmet and got a crack in one of the dimples for the mic tips. The plastic was thin in this area to begin with, now this. I am worried about supporting the mic tip. I am afraid if I drill the hole and add the mic tip that it will just tear. Is there anyway to repair and strengthen this area?

NiHLoWH.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photos updated gmrhodes13 2021

Hmmm...

Could use superglue to firm up the back, let it dry and then drill. Or Glue on a small piece of ABS, to the back, then drill from the front.

If you are useing a dremel, High speed man... less chance of grabbing. I start a hole by useing an Icepick to make a center. Then the drill wont wonder.

Tips arent all that heavy, and there pretty shielded from being bumped by the helmet design anyway.

I hpe that helped a little...

Hey dude,

I just recieved my AP armor today and it is thin also. I emailed AP today and got a reply that this is normal, thin that is, I dont have a crack but there is a weak divet.

I rough cut all of my armor out in about 4 hours and have went ahead and did the two part epoxy thing and put a thin coat all over the back to reinforce it. It seems to have worked. I havent drilled it yet but it is much stronger.

Thanks for the ideas.

From what I have read around here AP helmets can be thin in some places, like the place I had a problem.

I think that I will try the epoxy and see if I can reinforce it. With the mic tips in place I don't think the crack will be noticeable and the epoxy should help with the strength.

Do not worry, I have thin area too on my bucket, and never even reinforced it myself.

Never caused me any problem with the helmet yet, and I've manipulated it more often then not!

Try this too possibly. I have taken a small 1x1 inch square of t-shirt material and soaked it good with super glue. Then just spread it over the back of the cracked area and work out the bubbles. In about 5 minutes it will be rock solid. I call it miniature fiberglass repair :) dont get that stuff on your fingers though!!!!

Try this too possibly. I have taken a small 1x1 inch square of t-shirt material and soaked it good with super glue. Then just spread it over the back of the cracked area and work out the bubbles. In about 5-10 minutes it will be rock solid. I call it miniature fiberglass repair :) dont get that stuff on your fingers though!!!!

Why rubber over metal washers?

Well, a rubber washer would give you some amount of 'play' if the mic tips were knocked and not crack the thin area.

The mic tip area is notorious for being thin due to the shape when the plastic is pulled into the cavitiy. You could try heating up a piece of scrap ABS and applying it over the crack on the inside. This should at least give you a bit more strength when glued in place.

Trooperbluecow said:
Thanks for the ideas.

From what I have read around here AP helmets can be thin in some places, like the place I had a problem.

I think that I will try the epoxy and see if I can reinforce it. With the mic tips in place I don't think the crack will be noticeable and the epoxy should help with the strength.

I tried strengthening that area with "abs goo", but it need some prior experience in using that stuff. If we use the wrong amount of acetone in the goo, bad news. It will also cause softening of the hovi tips area in the lid.

I would recommend super glue because it is colourless, as compared to a two part epoxy.

But be aware of the dust particles in the lid, if you happen to sand the dried super glue or epoxy. Some people are allegic to that type of dust.

I will post some pictures over the weekend on my build------------ pertaining to my attempt in strengthening that area. Well, I have not found the time to consolidate them as yet but here is some of them piece meal.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

• 3 months later...

I've had several guys tell me super glue plus baking soda = big time bonding to plastic. Never tried this but if it works you could glue a piece of your trim scraps in the inside of the bucket to reinforce it. You could use ABS glue for that as well.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
the best thing I have came up with to repair plastic cracks is fiberglass resin

take a small square of t-shirt material and soak it with super glue. Then just spread it over the back of the cracked area. In about 5 minutes it will be rock solid. It takes minutes and is really easy to do. I used it - see my AP build - and Great results - but don't use a drill on it - use a pointy scalpel blade or exacto knife.

• 4 weeks later...