Funny question for you married guys!

Marvinrobot

At first my wife was puzzled why I would want to pay big money to dress in plastic but eventually realized that there are far worse vices I could adopt. We've been married nearly 20 years so I also belong to the 40+ crowd where enough time has passed for her to become familiar with my various pastimes. However with the kids' college tuition, a mortgage and retirement planning taking priority I am limited as to the number of costumes I may have. She rarely comes out to my troops but is heartened by the our efforts in charitable events.

Overall I think she's just happy to see the geek she married finally getting out, making new friends and socializing a bit more.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'm not married either, I turned 31 and have been with my girlfriend for a little more than 2 years. She kinda digs my Star Wars love and the TK stuff I've built (armor and gun) for the past year!

Ā 

I'm pretty sure she would actually wear a costume if I'd make her one .. she would actually love to own a Leia as Jabba's prisoner outfit! :)))

Ā 

I also got addicted to Master Replicas stuff, and that cost me much more than my TK armor in the past 6 months, and again, she digs that too even though a room of my place is now packed with Star Wars props!!!

Ā 

She loved watching me on halloween day, and she actually says that at least, she knows where I am at night : reading my SW forums (RPF, RS, FISD and cough cough BSN cough) :)

Gentlemen if I may intrude into this topic as a mom to a soon to be 501st member (and a wife)

Take your wife with you when you troop to the children's hospital (or any event with kids for that matter)

The look from those children as you walk into their room is priceless.

Ā 

here here i think this is great idea!!!

My wife is the best when it comes to my Star Wars addiction. For christmas, just about everything she got me was Star Wars related. I got an HDPE TE2 helmet, a custom Luke ANH (replica graflex with luxeon and sound) lightsaber and a Gentle Giant Jango bust.

Well my wife is the one that got me my first FX costume. So it's hard for her to say that I cannot buy all the supplies to improve my kit :D. She takes it in stride and love that I found a hobby.....even though sometimes it seems expensive. Which it really isn't compared to my other hobby....photography :). I've spent more money on my lenses then my costume. But she loves the fact that I will be joinning the 501st this year and I hope to troop soon.

Ā 

-That is all. Carry on. :salute:

Ok like many of you I'm married, while I'm new to life with the 501st I'm curious what tactics have you all developed over the years to get your significant other "Imperial Requisitions Officer" to understand why you need more than one armor, or why you won't stop touching it...armor that is. :lol:

Ā 

For me brother, if she sees another outfit, I just say "Oh that old thing, I have had that for ever. You didn't know I had that?" :lol: Plus I, obviously, also use Paul's "don't ask don't tell" policy. That seems to work till she finds it.

For me brother, if she sees another outfit, I just say "Oh that old thing, I have had that for ever. You didn't know I had that?" :lol: Plus I, obviously, also use Paul's "don't ask don't tell" policy. That seems to work till she finds it.

Ā 

Ā 

Where in the world do you hide big pieces of plastic???? :huh: Wouldn't that be like waking up one morning and finding out there are now 2 cats in the house? (by the way we do not own cats, but I know a guy who that happened to apperantly it looked alot like one of the other cats) :lol:

• 5 weeks later...

I too am blessed beyond belief with a wonderful wife who totally understands (and loves) my desire to costume. In fact, she is now getting into it herself and may, within the year, be joining the 501st as well!

My wife (of two years, together for 7) was with me as I just started with our local garrison, she was there for our first troop at a minor league baseball game. She likes to pretend she's too cool for school and that it's appaling, but she's seen how much the kids love it, especially the neighbor kids who bug her all year about whether or not I'll be dressed up on Halloween.

Ā 

The best bet fellas, is the quid pro quo. 1 kit of TE2 armor = 1 Louis Vuitton purse :)

Ā 

Phil

Yep, take her along with you trooping sometime. Not only can she get her "humph- men!" sentiments out with the other wives, she will see the delight in fans young and old as they come by and ask for pictures.

Ā 

My wife is an artist and finds the process of fabricating the costumes very interesting, so that'a point in my favor.

Ā 

I haven't been able to interest her in a uniform until she saw Juno Eclipse recently- she's found her character.

Ā 

She sometimes grumbles about the money, but not so much now that I have the TK I always wanted. I am very blessed to have such a cool wife.

Ā 

Good luck to you fellows whose wives are less-than-understanding. The tip about bringing her along for a children's event is probably the best you'll get as far as this subject goes.

I am gonna have to remember that one with my fiance

Ā 

Ā 

you know mat.. i was thinking of the same thing... actually there is this necklace my wife likes... hmmm... maybe it could work...

Ā 

in reality... my wife is pretty good about it all... she calls me a geek... which i am... thats ok... she tries to get in to my obsesion... (i have a walk-in closet-turned-into-office full of my star wars collection...) but it doesnt always work out... she will buy me a figure or two for my collection which in nice, but i dont have the heart to tell her i am only collection the figs with light sabers... (she bought me Biggs) oh well... she has grown in her knowlege of star wars movies though... she can hold her own pretty good in my star wars trivial pursuit... she know i wanting to buy armor and she doesnt really say anything about it... which could be worse... i have no idea what she thinks of the armor thing... im sure she would come around and enjoy it with me... she is great though... while i was deployed she redid our office completely in all my star wars posters and rearranged my shelves to hold my star wars figs and collectables... it looks great now... my own star wars shrine....

• 2 weeks later...

well,for my part i'm getting married this summer.

my fiance loves star wars!

she loves the idea of a stormtooper on a mannquin in the living room.

Ā 

now i already have 2 sets of armor, the first set was a mistake to buy but i was a rookie.

it was an fx but fiberglass not abs,its still not finished and its a sandtrooper.

my other armor is an abs set thats nearly finished.

Ā 

after that i'm going to save up to buy an ap armor.

for her its no problem as long as i stick to my monthly buget.

but i think if i want an ap one the fx one my have to go.

but i will see that later

Ā 

my advice is to introduce youre wife to the star wars world,if they understand it they may like it!

if that doesnt work bribe them! :lol:

I too am blessed beyond belief with a wonderful wife who totally understands (and loves) my desire to costume. In fact, she is now getting into it herself and may, within the year, be joining the 501st as well!

Ā 

Youve been involved with costuming in general with her for a while though havnt you No'l. Ive almost got dani convinced to do another TK! Im hoping to have us both in the 501st with something by the end of the year. Hopefully my boots guy will come out of hiding so i can get my TKID already!

Yes, ever since I've known her she's known I'm into costuming... that's for sure. In fact, before we moved to Albuquerque she wrote an article for the magazine in Springfield, MO (417 Magazine... that's the area code there...) called, "I married a weenie..." (As in Halloween-ie). It started out, "My name is Celeste Green and I married a Ferengi." It went on to tell about me dressing up as a kid and all the costumes I've done... I think it even included Stormtroopers from my childhood... I can't remember right now.

Ā 

If anyone wants to read the article PM me... it was fun! (if I do say so myself) :)

Yes, ever since I've known her she's known I'm into costuming... that's for sure. In fact, before we moved to Albuquerque she wrote an article for the magazine in Springfield, MO (417 Magazine... that's the area code there...) called, "I married a weenie..." (As in Halloween-ie). It started out, "My name is Celeste Green and I married a Ferengi." It went on to tell about me dressing up as a kid and all the costumes I've done... I think it even included Stormtroopers from my childhood... I can't remember right now.

Ā 

If anyone wants to read the article PM me... it was fun! (if I do say so myself) :)

Ā 

Ā 

Ferengi :blink::blink: are we allowed to use such language in here?

My girlfriend always thought all this stormtrooper stuff was a bit strange at first, but she has come round. I am getting married in August and she has agreed that the wedding cake will have a Hasbro stormy for me and ESB Hoth Leia for her.

I have slowly converted her!

:lol:

I'm not married, Yet. My girlfriend is pretty cool about my costuming hobby and totally supports me exploring this hobby. She is coming around to costuming as well. She already likes doing multiple costumes for Halloween and is thinking of costumes to do Cons and what not. She already has agreed to do the slave Leia costume! :wub: Other costumes she is thinking of are Cammy White (Street fighter), Sonya Blade (Mortal Kombat), and Super Girl. Its nice to have a girlfriend that likes to share your hobbies with you! :)

And just think most people think all of us are single...

Ā 

My girlfriend looks at me like im am f-ing nuts and has told me she will just stay home when I troop, But she sat and looked at the 501st web site one night (I had no clue) and she came to me and asked me why I do it. The first thing I told her was "I do It for fun and I do I for the kids". I think it was the turing point for her. We now see eye to eye and the hole thing and she even has told me she would love to come and snap the pics at a troop. I still dont think she will be coming to any cons with me but she is defiantly on board for the hospital Troops.

Being the family that troops together, see my TC-6249 intro thread, I don't usually have a problem. Building troopables for 4 can get tough and occasionally my wife say "Hey you know you spending the college fund?" followed by my daughter "That's OK Mom I'll get a scholarship..." and my son "College what's college?"

Ok like many of you I'm married, while I'm new to life with the 501st I'm curious what tactics have you all developed over the years to get your significant other "Imperial Requisitions Officer" to understand why you need more than one armor, or why you won't stop touching it...armor that is. :lol:

Ā 

It was my wife who suggested we join the 501st! I had been thinking about it but wasn't sure if she'd think I was going off the deep end, then she suggested it out of the blue. She started as a TIE pilot and will be getting a set of TE2 armor next month.