Just wondering what you will use for the top coat, will it be shinny as on screen. I have seen on some autormotive shows that they use a liquid chrome finish on some paint jobs, they apply several different coats and the last one it basically a wet wash. I suppose if you used something like this and went over with a few coats of a tinted yellow/gold clear paint and this would give you the gold effect.

What most people do is vacuum metalize the suits. The finish of the vac metallizing is all dependent on how well the builder preps it. I'll be going with a wet sand of 1000 followed by 2000. The suit should be nearly reflective just from sanding before it is sent in. This is what they did in the movies. However, vac metallizing is very expensive. One of the other builders has figured out a paint method using an air brush that looks really good also, which would be cheaper but require more skill. The prep work is basically the same for each so I am holding off on my decision for which one to go with. Automotive type painting is an option as well but I think the price comes out similar to vac metallizing. Honestly, the self paint method is probably the best way to go so that scratches and chips in the armor can be maintained. I just don't know if I have the skill for that.

isnt there a c3po builders club or something where people who know what there doing can help you?

Yep, there is. http://bc3pobuilders.runboard.com/ This is just a place where I am sharing my build thread and seeing what kind of feedback everyone here has.

Edited by HockeyTrooper

If it was me, I would save the money and go the metalizing route...expensive yes but all you need is to see another C3PO that has had this done and you'll wish you'd done it too...Just my $.02... :)

If it was me, I would save the money and go the metalizing route...expensive yes but all you need is to see another C3PO that has had this done and you'll wish you'd done it too...Just my $.02... :)

That is kind of my thoughts on it too. Also, I figure if I am going to do an expensive costume, I might as well go all out.

Here is the setup for one of my hands. I didn't quite get the pinky glued on straight and I definitely still need to open the wrist up some, it was biting pretty hard. Right now everything is hot glued because it is temporary. When it gets sent off for vac metallizing or painting all strapping will need to come out and then I'll reassemble it once I get it back. I mostly putting things together to make sure that the idea works before I plan on an idea working and end up finding out that it doesnt.

IMAG0924_zps58d27c48.jpgIMAG0926_zpsa0bad3ef.jpgIMAG0927_zpsf2c364df.jpg

Edited by HockeyTrooper

Looking good, I am quite slim and I am getting inspired, I do have a freind who wants me to join the rebel legion, how cool would a C3PO be :D. vac metallizing would be my choice if you are going to all this trouble it would be worth while in the end :D

Looking good, I am quite slim and I am getting inspired, I do have a freind who wants me to join the rebel legion, how cool would a C3PO be :D.

If you've got the body for it you should totally look into it!

• 1 month later...

So I was wondering, what are you going to use for voice and where on earth will you house it in the suit??? Lol

For voice there are 2 options, both kind of end up with the speaker in the same place. 

The ideal option: Find a way to connect a speaker to a blue tooth so I don't have wires running everywhere (the suit will be difficult enough to put on without wires).

The realistic option: Use the same mic set-up we use in our TKs.

In both options I will probably put the speaker behind the belly mat and cut some slits in the belly mat so sound can project out of it. It'll be more convenient there because it wont actually be taking up any space in the armor pieces.

All of that said, I'm going to have to start working on my Anthony Daniels impersonation, haha.

If I can't go the wireless route then I will be using the Aker that is meant for my TK (half the time I don't worry about hooking it up in the TK). Obviously in 3PO I'll be expected to talk and pull off lots of his one-liners and such. 

• 1 month later...

Some more updates! Legs and torso mods.

Legs:

IMAG1131_zpse61fa420.jpg

IMAG1132_zps9945eaf7.jpg

Torso:

IMAG1136_zpsfa70b239.jpg

IMAG1135_zps22d42ab1.jpg

IMAG1134_zpsa3921a9d.jpg

Video update (It is a bit lengthy, but some people might be interested in it)

Video privacy settings fixed!

Edited by HockeyTrooper
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not much to show for my recent progress, almost everything I have left is sanding and priming, sanding and priming and sanding again, then the suit should be off to the metalizing company!

Not much to show for my recent progress, almost everything I have left is sanding and priming, sanding and priming and sanding again, then the suit should be off to the metalizing company!

Awesome, can't wait to see it completed.

If you have any questions... you can always ask Gordon...ahem... I mean "Ask C3PO"!

https://www.facebook.com/AskC3PO

Haha, yeah I shoot him facebook messages all the time about all sorts of 3PO stuff. Great guy, and very innovative for the 3PO builders.

• 10 months later...
Been super busy with school, sorry for lack of updates. I've had this for about 2 months now, hopefully be able to finish assembly this summer.

I sent this off in January and it took until about mid-April to get it back. The actually work was finished in February but it was a little difficult communicating with and making the transaction between here and Canada. But it's all good now and Canada is no longer holding my droid hostage! Here's to finishing this after I get through Step 1 of my boards.

20140426_124022_zps3f104f73.jpg

20140426_124028_zps18cbf297.jpg

20140426_123656_zpsc5e4e029.jpg

20140426_123615_zpsccbad45f.jpg

And finally I did do a little work to assemble the helmet for a presentable picture:

20140504_214226_zps9f0d4297.jpg

So, coming to you late this summer/early fall! Enjoy!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...