Another exciting big brown box day....

421901_10200092026642036_799841425_n_zpsbd20be2d.jpg

581872_10200092039402355_2105583406_n_zpsa595d6bc.jpg574992_10200092028002070_747290329_n_zps6d43758b.jpg

526093_10200092038802340_1187376722_n_zps8d78c68b.jpg

11519_10200092054282727_1933218913_n_zps149e87a4.jpg

I wont get the chance to really begin work on this until the summer, but figured I would share!

Don't mind the snow pants, I had just finished shoveling the driveway.

• Like 1

The head piece came from a separate supplier than the armor, here's a pic!

392457_4075836612868_2098934991_n_zpsd3e668f0.jpg

I'll be using the helmet on the left, I thought I had a test fit picture somewhere. I'll try to share it later.

The helmet is rotocast and the body parts are fiberglass. The shorts (also no pictured) are ABS for flexibility purposes.

2) Holy bejeezus you're skinny.

Only way to possibly fit in the costume, lol. Even as it is I have to expand the upper arms because my arm gets just a little too big up there around the shoulder.

Awesome .... Will be watching this one ! :) My girlfriend wants to do a C3PO , need to get some info

Being in Florida the guy to get in touch with will be Gordon Tarpley, his 3PO is awesome. You can also check out http://bc3pobuilders.runboard.com/

Shiny gold goodness! I've always thought it'd be fun to be 3po... but being Vader sized I'm made to suffer. It's my lot in life.

-Eric

Shiny gold goodness! I've always thought it'd be fun to be 3po... but being Vader sized I'm made to suffer. It's my lot in life.

-Eric

Ha! I would love to see you in a threepio with your height xD

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

"Aren't you a little tall for a droid?" At least no one will EVER ask me if I'm a little short to be a droid. I'm sure I'll hear about "the droids your looking for" all the time though :R2D2:

The helmet isn't actually that bad. It's a little tight by the ears, but plenty of space in the front. I'll be trying to use door peep holes in the eyes. If that works out, I'll actually have better field of vision than I do in my TK...It'll just feel like I'm looking through fish eyes.

Can't wait to troop with you in that thing. You know... I have always wanted to build an R2-D2... ;)

For some reason I hear the wife in the background singing Queen...."No no no no no no no no NO!"

• 2 weeks later...

A few updates:

Here's what I am trying to do with the legs. The command hooks are too big to fit with my leg so I will likely find a different sort of hook that isn't as bulky that I can fiberglass into place.

leg2_zpsc6b04abd.jpg

In the lower half of the leg I will probably be using elastic with a lock and key mechanism to help the pieces line up, you can sort of see it at the far end of this picture:

leg1_zps1232d28a.jpg

Test fit of the arm without pistons. I will be needing to open up the upper arm about an inch and then re-fiberglass the opening to give myself a little more room.

arm1_zps39a5f10d.jpg

I hadn't thought of doing that with elastic! Good idea!

Tonight I'll be working on the 3PO hands a bit and will try to post a picture if I get the rough version finished. I'm a little limited on what I can work on because I only brought so much to Colorado with me to work on during down time in the vacation. We hit Breckenridge really hard today so we are taking the evening easy which should give me some time.

Just wondering what you will use for the top coat, will it be shinny as on screen. I have seen on some autormotive shows that they use a liquid chrome finish on some paint jobs, they apply several different coats and the last one it basically a wet wash. I suppose if you used something like this and went over with a few coats of a tinted yellow/gold clear paint and this would give you the gold effect.