TIE Pilot helmet repair question.

Hello all. I recently aquired a TIE Pilot helmet and have a question. Does anyone on the site repair damaged helmets, and could be reccomeneded by fellow troopers? I don't think I could repair it myself, and would pay to have it done. I know we have frequent helmet master builders here, and hope someone can help.

It's a Post helmet, one of the heavy cast Vinyl ones. It's cracked near the base of the earpiece, and the lower rim is slightly folded down due to weakness by the cracked section. The crack is about an inch long. I was trying to think of ways to reinforce the area, and strengthen the rim area, but I don't want to screw it up and make it worse. I've built models, and my 1st Trooper helmet, but this vinyl helmet is a new challenge for me. I plan on painting and detailing it after repair.

So fellow troopers, and ideas or help for someone who could repair it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Sincerely,

NewTrooper2.

You could use some fibreglass resin and matting for the inside and a little bondo on the outside. Little bit of sanding, a little touch up with paint and you will be done :)

You could use some fibreglass resin and matting for the inside and a little bondo on the outside. Little bit of sanding, a little touch up with paint and you will be done :)

What would be my best place to locate fiberglass resin and matting? Any ideas? Could this heat and possibly melt the vinyl helmet?

Thanks.

Edited by NewTrooper2

You will get a little bit of heat so I would only apply small pieces at a time, I have used a heat gun and the lids take a bit of heating before anything bad happens. Over here we can get it from automotive shops, even hardware stores stock it

I suppose there would be no reason why you could used a stiff setting silicon for the inside too