Spray paint comes out in blotches

Jancelot

I haven't had this issue with spray paint prior to these last two cans. But instead of a nice fine mist the paint is coming out in clumps/blotches. It also pools around the bottom of the nozzle and starts running down the side of the can. I shook the the stuffing out these guys prior to usage as well. Did a bit of Googling but thought I'd hit up the experts for some tips.

You most likely have 2 bad cans of paint, if they are stored too long or in too cool of area, it can make to propellent weaken as well. Best bet is to buy new cans. You may also try to change the nozzle out with one that is working too.

It wasn't cold to the touch, but it has been off and on chilly (per usual) here in San Francisco. Yesterday was a warmer day so I thought I'd give it a go. I ordered this second can online so it might have been improperly stored or shipped as well. The first was bought locally, though. I'll try soaking in warm water next time to see if it helps. Otherwise I'll chalk it up to a short run of bad paint luck. Thanks for the info!

Edited by Jancelot

I do the same when it is cold, warm the can is some hot water. Some cans that have been in storage for too long can spray blotchy, also different brands and what nozzels they use, the cheaper the spray paint the worse it seems to be.

I had a similar problem with a certain type of nozzle. I can't remember the brand, but the nozzle was supposed to be a two part nozzle. The button activator and a small twisty piece that let me change between vertical and horizontal spraying. This little piece was missing so instead of coming out in a fine mist, it was big globs. Maybe you have this type of can as well and are missing part of it?

It's Krylon. I'll check at the hardware stores for replacement nozzles this week. Thanks!

Ā 

*edit: Dday nailed it. It has a little white plug that apparently is the "fine" mist spray and can twist from side to side. However...I thought it was just a shipping containment device and I removed it. Ugh. Reading for context failure. I'll update after I give it another go.

Edited by Jancelot

I ended up painting my E11 with a bottle of Krylon without the little nozzle.. It was hard, but it turned out ok. It actually gave it a little bit of a nice uneven, rough look that is natural in the E11's! But I surely didn't like it while painting.

• 2 weeks later...

I had to buy a new can of paint to get the little white nozzle thing. But between that and warming the can in a bowl of water it worked great! Thanks again, all.