gmrhodes13

How To: Fit and Adjust a Beret

For those of you that have made the grade and become an approved TK and you want to look the part when not in full uniform there is the option of sporting a beret. Quite a few guys at my squad wear a beret when they either do not have their lids on, or out of their uniform. It is a good way to still show the public that you are part of a group and gives you that command respect appearance.

There is discusion as to what colour the beret should be, some like the black (seen as basic approval) some like the nato blue (same colour as EIB) and some like the burgandy (same colour as Centurion). These colours are only a guide and nothing is written in stone, I have all three and just waiting for my FISD badges to turn up in the mail then I will have a little sewing to do, I will post some pictures when they are finished as for now there are a couple of guys on the forum who sport the beret with style and swagger and no doubt you will have noticed them in some posts, here are a couple:

photo-thumb-15703.jpg?_r=1343534502

Mark - captsafe66

and

photo-thumb-17410.jpg?_r=1360031626

Jeroen - svache

Now when you recieve your nice new beret and you are so chuffed you have the next step to indure.

You start by getting a single blade razor, and LIGHTLY shaving all the excess fuzz (inside and outside). Now, you are ready to shape. Fill a large bowl with cold water, then plug and fill the sink with warm water. Dunk your beret in the warm water and let it soak, 5-10 minutes ought to do it. Then pull it out of the water and wring it out, then dunk it in the bowl of cold water, 5-10 minutes out to do it. Then pull it out of the water and wring it out. Go back to the sink of warm water and go through the process again. Do this three to four times. After the final round of double-dunking, wring it out again and plop that sodden beret on your head. If the beret has draw strings, tighten them up and tie a knot to hold the size. Looking in a mirror, mold the beret into shape with your fingers. You'll be wearing the beret for hours while it dries so continually adjust the shape as you wear it throughout the day.

Note: Try to keep the leather beret band dry. It'll shrink right up if you let it get wet.

Now as I wanted to adjust and wear the beret correctly I had a search online and found the following diagram which may you find useful:

793a664d211ab7058338347a240938da.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13

I like the idea of being able to where a beret at a con or something when I want to walk around with my bucket off. I'll have to look into getting one and an EIB patch to match.

• Like 1

I like the idea of being able to where a beret at a con or something when I want to walk around with my bucket off. I'll have to look into getting one and an EIB patch to match.

Purhcased all three of mine from ebay for 15.00 GBP and total 5.00 GBP for shipping, here is a link to the black beret, here is the nato beret, also the burgandy beret

I gave this EXACT same photo to mark.

he can confirm that.

nice post!

I purchased the ranger beret and simply covered the existing flash with the FISD flash by

simply gluing it on with e-6000

done...

no sewing needed and it looks better than sewing it.

here's the same photo on my photobucket!! hehe

beret.jpg

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392
  • Like 1

I purchased the ranger beret and simply covered the existing flash with the FISD flash by

simply gluing it on with e-6000

done...

no sewing needed and it looks better than sewing it.

Thanks Vern I didn't think of gluing them on, was going to try hand sew, the glue will look so much neater, no extra wobbley thread lol

I wore a beret for a bunch of years in the Air Force. I, personally, think the Imperial cap looks better out of uniform. However, for those who do like the beret I would add this. The above instructions are correct, but the liner should also be removed.

Cut it out close to the leather band on the inside. This prevents the liner from bunching up after you have shrunk the beret and will give a closer fit to the head. Don't cut the cardboard out in the front, cut around it!

The cardboard should be trimmed slightly so that it is smaller and rounder. The flash should come to the top of the cardboard, anything else is like wearing a billboard on your head.

Beret's are elite and cool looking but not if you aren't wearing it right. When all is said and done, the beret should be perfectly shaped but still floppy enough to roll up and stuff in your pocket. You do not have to use starch to keep it's shape.

Gluing better than sewing? I handsewed mine, looks perfect, I doubt glue would've been better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

I went ahead and pinned this for now, I may move it later.

Great info!!

nobody is going to look so close to a beret flash to see if it's glued right over the top

of an existing flash. especially since the flash I have is blue. and the color looks good

with the FISD flash even on the sides.

"a billboard" is only if you have a small head! just kidding.

Ic, mine came without flash so I couldn't glue it on top of it, even if I wanted it :lol:

you want to get a beret with a military supplier with a cardboard stiffener at the front

here's an example

http://www.villageha...lash-black.html

army-flash-beret_lrg.jpg

Purhcased all three of mine from ebay for 15.00 GBP and total 5.00 GBP for shipping, here is a link to the black beret, here is the nato beret, also the burgandy beret

these are not the best as they have no flash stiffener on them!

Well, considering that the FISD flash (so far) has been slightly smaller than US regiment standard, the old flash would poke out the sides if you just put ours over top.

these are not the best as they have no flash stiffener on them!

They have a small leather flash stiffener inside, I gather it is not cardboard as when you soaked the beret for correct fitting the cardboard would go out of shape. I am still waiting for my FISD patches to arrive once they do I will attach them and post some pic's. I would think that the flash and the stiffener would give enough firmness to hold the front of the beret in the right postition.

Edited by gmrhodes13

you want to get a beret with a military supplier with a cardboard stiffener at the front

here's an example

http://www.villageha...lash-black.html

army-flash-beret_lrg.jpg

Actually mine are with cardboard stiffener, there's no real need to order them with fake flash imho. I cannot imagine it looking good when it's glued on top of another flash, seems like it will get too thick.

I actually do have the beret pictured by you, it was reason for me to order one without flash lol

Just took another look and, yeah, it does indeed fit completely over the blue flash. It's not really noticeable unless are looking up close from the side..

To show some pix and the difference between the both, here's mine without the blue flash behind it:

20130215163128.jpg

20130215163133.jpg

And here's two pix with the blue flash behind it (I did not glue it, my hands are keeping it in place):

20130215163205.jpg

20130215163224.jpg

So I agree, you can easily order the one with the blue flash on it. It will probably be a lot easier to get it on gluing it (I had some serious pain in my fingers after I was done sewing mine), and you know it's exactly in the right spot, that wasn't so easy to find for me at first either.

Edited by svache

They have a small leather flash stiffener inside, I gather it is not cardboard as when you soaked the beret for correct fitting the cardboard would go out of shape. I am still waiting for my FISD patches to arrive once they do I will attach them and post some pic's. I would think that the flash and the stiffener would give enough firmness to hold the front of the beret in the right postition.

Cut the liner out before you soak it. That way you can hold the cardboard out of the water and not get it wet. Though it really doesn't matter since it's going to dry anyway.

Why would you spend months building a costume where the rivets are just so and then NOT remove an insignia from your cover to replace it with yours? As Jeroen pointed out, you can still see it when you are up close. And while most people won't notice, it would bug the hell out of me. All it takes is some matching thread, a needle and 15 minutes of work. You aren't pushing it through the cardboard so your fingers shouldn't be sore when you're done. Just my opinion but if you're going to wear it in public, representing an "elite" unit (which is what the beret represented in our military before the U.S. Army decided to give them out like hugs to everyone. But that's another story) then it should be done correctly. I don't mean to ruffle any feathers but I had to earn mine and I think a little work should be put into them if you're going to wear them.

Cut the liner out before you soak it. That way you can hold the cardboard out of the water and not get it wet. Though it really doesn't matter since it's going to dry anyway.

Why would you spend months building a costume where the rivets are just so and then NOT remove an insignia from your cover to replace it with yours?

Hi did you read properly, I said earlier I don't have cardboard inside it has a small leather stiffner the same size as the outside flash would be.

Also mine do not have an insignia on them.

this thread brings back memories see below ;)

591374621_3f7f92dbb0.jpg

Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em !

Long live Frank Spencer !!! :)

you cannot see the flash underneath on mine!

and if you are that picky you can always paint the edges black!

I MEAN really people!

I MEAN really people!

:D

hehe!

here's a photo?

beret001_zps1058140c.jpg

beret002_zpsf4109a1d.jpg

no visible underflash.

no sewing. another great use for E-6000!

:cantinabandf:

even this guy only glued it on?

clown_zpsb13afa99.jpg