isith's Incinerator Trooper WIP Cfo / ATA

I had this BURNING desire...

Now that I have my suit steadily in progress, I thought it is a good time to contribute something to this forum instead of just lurking here.

I'm not going to repeat myself by telling you how I got into this costume building thing, all of it can be found in my small intro. I just say that a year ago I couldn't even imagine building a Trooper suit of my own.

After studying different costumes for a while, I chose Incinerator Trooper for my first suit. Don't ask me why, I didn't analyze it that deep. It just clicked instantly ;)

I found FISD in a very early stage, lucky for me, and started researching. After reading everything possible about Incinerators and this great thread http://www.whitearmo...e-to-find-them/ over and over again, I finally chose Cfo for armor and ATA for helmet.

If someone new to this is considering making a deal either with Cfo or ATA, I can recommend both of them. Both have great products & top notch service.

Mark (Cfo) answered my first PM in 14 minutes ( You read it right folks, in fourteen minutes), kept me updated weekly and sent my armor faster than the estimated turnaround time was.

Same thing with ATA, quick answers and I think I got my helmet in less than 2 weeks. From US to Finland, that is quick.

The first thing I found out after quick trimming of Cfo ab & kidney/butt plates was that my belly didn't fit properly between those. I am lean built but I also had a beer belly.

Ok, I said "I had" because that was 17 lbs ago.

Armor building Step 1: Get rid of that belly - completed :)

Ok, enough of this chitchat. A few pics for those of you who managed to read all this and still stay awake. This is where I am at the moment.

1f3be76e-b11f-4322-a8ba-7df7cd6d0082_zps2e968096.jpg

0dbff7f5-5312-4114-a034-fcd3135bbbf2_zps193eb865.jpg

Back_zps06dd8964.jpg

It's 1 am here now and I'm going to bed, need to get up 6 am.

So, questions (a lot of them) later.

All feedback is very welcome, although I'm not new to working with plastic, this is my very first costume build.

Cheers,

Osku

PS. Seems like Photobucket is acting stubborn with that last pic, I've tried to rotate and relink it severaI times and still see it sideways

Edited by isith

CFO is perfect for Incinerator as that armor is based off ROTJ. So far it's looking good. What tools did you use to trim your belly, exacto or model scizzors? Seriously, congratulations on both the weight loss and your armor progress!

Thanks Todd, I used tool called "Denial" for my belly ;)

Bye bye Ronald McDonald, sodas, candybars, beer... (well, not all of the beer but most of it)

Looking at the pics now I noticed my left shoulder bell sits really weirdly. I guess the tape behind it keeps it up. I haven't strapped the biceps yet. Have to do that after I've moved bells a bit closer to shoulder straps.

Also noticed that I'm not standing straight and i have what seems like unintentional muscle tension on my left shoulder. I did manage to dislocate my left shoulder two months ago and it's not functioning as good as it did before.

About the biceps, how form-fitting should they be ? Is as form-fitting as possible the ideal ?

They are really comfortable now but I think I can make them little tighter if needed. The forearm you see in the pics is as tight as it can be, I can barely get my hand through it.

Cheers,

Osku

I'd make sure you can bend your arm as much as possible when fitting the bicep, but yes, try to make it form fitting.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Todd :)

A question instead of new progress pics, how many dropboxes do I need to get my suit approved ?

CRL says dropboxes (meaning two) but references show only one on left side.

http://www.whitearmo...ages-26-images/

http://www.whitearmo...il-icn-screens/

Thanks Todd :)

A question instead of new progress pics, how many dropboxes do I need to get my suit approved ?

CRL says dropboxes (meaning two) but references show only one on left side.

http://www.whitearmo...ages-26-images/

http://www.whitearmo...il-icn-screens/

I'd say two dropboxes as that's what's shown on the CRL and from what I understand, that's what the GML's go with :)

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

Rob, great, there's never too many Incinerators :)

From which kit are you starting your project ?

I've been tackling small stuff lately, belt, sniper plate, trimming thighs etc. Pics later, maybe after next weekend.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

Rob, great, there's never too many Incinerators :)

From which kit are you starting your project ?

I've been tackling small stuff lately, belt, sniper plate, trimming thighs etc. Pics later, maybe after next weekend.

I know Im probably going to be lectured by some on the evils of recasting but I managed to pic up a complete Cap-W kit including helmet from a Garrison mate that never got around to building it.

I got it for a good enough price that I can avoid the dreaded wife rage thats important for a happy household as well. This will be my very first set of armor so Im excited about it.

Cant wait to see your pics.

If the weather cooperates I'll have some pics of my flamethrower build up this week as well.

Edited by zaptrooper

• 1 month later...

A small update where I'm at the moment.

Still a lot of small stuff to do like weathering parts, securing some parts like belt so it stays where it suppose to stay, finishing helmet ( especially ears ), attaching pauldron so it won't lift the helmet ( couldn't see #%¤& while these pics were taken LOL ).

Also a few parts missing from the pic.

060413_zps1d7b743a.jpg

Red markings are a bit too bright in upper pic, lower shows them about right, at least in my monitor... Flower Power

FlowerPower_zps8313e5ed.jpg

Edited by isith

Btw, any criticism and/or suggestions are highly welcomed.

I have a long model-building background but this is my very first costume ever.

I did repaint the forearm stripes, those in my pic seemed way narrower than ref pic stripes.

Cheers,

Osku

Edited by isith

I'd like to see how you modified the 5 vertical ab buttons.  In the photos it looks like it was all vac-formed together.  In other words, it looks great.

I'd like to see how you modified the 5 vertical ab buttons.  In the photos it looks like it was all vac-formed together.

Thanks Todd, that's a huge compliment because it was what I tried to do :)

I know I took at least one project pic of that button and base but I guess I accidentally removed it from my camera because I can' find it anymore.

Cfo kit came with quite a lot of excess material around parts, good for me because I then had a lot of stuff for scratch building.

The "base" for button was made out of two corner sections from the part you see in next pic. I just cut two of them, made the measurements match the Cfo base, glued (or actually welded) them together and then to the Ab.

I used methyl ethyl ketone ( Butanone or MEK ) to weld the parts together. Besides styrene, MEK works well with ABS too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butanone

Corners_zpsfecaec88.jpg

If you look close, you can actually still see the vertical seam in base part, just between Ab itself & button.

5thbutton_zpsa88a94d3.jpg

To smooth the seam areas I used ABS paste. I use the same MEK for that too, instead of acetone.

I think I repeated the ABS paste - sand smooth process at least 5 times.

I'm rarely completely happy with the work I do (forever-frustrated perfectionist  :P  ) but I think I did pretty well this time.

5thbutton3_zpsc04cd2b2.jpg

5thbutton2_zps24852435.jpg

The button was made out of excess ABS too. Just took piece of it, heated it carefully with a heatgun and pushed from the inside with a flat end of my hand drill.

Drill_zps8e97c633.jpg

The rest was, again, cutting and welding and ABS paste and sanding...

If anyone wants to do buttons like this, I advice to choose bigger ABS piece, small ones just start to warp from the edges before you can push & form the button. I know, I have several strangely deformed ABS pieces lying in the garage floor :laugh1:

Edited by isith

• 3 weeks later...

And... approved

TK-11767 reporting for duty, ready to get his butt kicked for the Empire !

FrontSmall_zps958cff5c.jpg

Helmet2Small_zps8a191e59.jpg

More pics from my first troop later, they are still in a camera.

Pretty comfortable to wear from the beginning, 3,5 hours in a row was a no-brainer. Just need a few tweaks to prevent biceps & forearms twisting around like a merry-go-round :)

Next phase, finishing the Plasma rifle, aka Flamethrower.

Cheers,

Osku

Thanks guys, appreciate it :smiley-sw013:

David: I bought my ammo pouch from here http://www.epicmilitaria.com/product.php/744/mp40-black-smooth-leather-ammo-pouches

UK store so it was closer to me and I didn't have to pay import taxes.

I could have bought canvas one locally but I wanted leather.

Nice build mate!

I couldn't have done a better job on those ab buttons myself in fact until it was pointed out I hadn't noticed them!

Well executed and thanks for the plug and compliments, much appreciated.

Good stuff.

P .s. ill get those extra bits out to you soon. :salute:

Mark.