swmand4's RT-Mod ANH Stunt Build

Finally getting around to starting this thread! I first looked into replica Stormtrooper armor some 13 years ago and realized it would have to wait for money and size reasons, as I was 11 years old.

I've had the armor (RT-Mod) since the tail end of December, but haven't had time to do anything with it. I'll be following Darth Aloha's RT-Mod build and a few others as I make an attempt to build this thing. I've added pictures and links for all the extra soft items I purchased for the build (neck seal, etc) below my initial armor pictures. I apologize in advance for my sub-par Android phone pictures...

Obligatory box shot:

2012-12-27_17-39-56_396_zps542179b0.jpg

Helmet:

2012-12-27_22-20-25_990_zps128cef2d.jpg

Armor layout and inventory:

2012-12-28_16-22-00_411_zps5d159c33.jpg

407911_10151210081887406_306583301_n_zpsd9627a5a.jpg

And now for the soft parts! I've included a link, if possible.

Boots / TKBoots

IMG_20130317_151720_831_zps5f7c2cd7.jpg

Hyperfirm E-11 Blaster / slavefive

IMG_20130317_145118_048_zps808e2196.jpg

D-ring for Hyperfirm / Trooper Bay

IMG_20130317_150924_893_zps751d5fc8.jpg

Holster / TK Bondservnt 2392 (Vern)

IMG_20130317_145228_567_zps281216e8.jpg

Canvas Belt / TKittell

IMG_20130317_145322_309_zps1d43c192.jpg

Thigh Garters / Tsalagi

a9bad07c-0764-4b3d-bc72-0024ea9147be_zps3d284520.jpg

Underarmor / East Bay

IMG_20130317_151545_290_zpsc8b8a78a.jpg

Neck Seal / Veedox (I don't know if I'll actually use this, as it's technically a "hero" neck seal... plus the bib is awkwardly short and only comes down to about mid-torso.)

IMG_20130317_151419_612_zps890d2c6e.jpg

Thermal Detonator / troopermaster

IMG_20130317_151346_115_zps86f65c39.jpg

Gloves / Home Depot

IMG_20130317_145728_894_zps0637b7dc.jpg

Hand Guards / Sonnenschein (Karin)

IMG_20130317_145931_100_zpsbe9d23e5.jpg

Black Canvas Webbing (1.5" Wide, 0.06" Thick) / Strap Works

IMG_20130317_145811_647_zpse13df10e.jpg

Non-roll Elastic banding / Joanne Fabric Store

IMG_20130317_145840_483_zps41c5e1be.jpg

AB Buttons / VaderDave (Not sure if I'll use these or just paint the raised section built into the RT-MOD)

47af726a-3a0b-4555-bc46-ed9cacfde741_zps84da6633.jpg

Vortex-Squirrel Fans / EvilBoy

IMG_20130317_150333_735_zps9cc637a7.jpg

Hovi-Mix Tip Helmet Speakers / 501st Creations (Again, not sure if I'll use these, but I did purchase a ROM/FX so I can if I want to.)

IMG_20130317_150438_198_zpsd6fffbe8.jpg

Split Rivets / Trooper Bay

IMG_20130317_150858_845_zps6c3e1a4d.jpg

Tandy Line 24 Snaps & Setting Anvil / Tandy Leather Supply

IMG_20130317_150020_218_zps6809b366.jpg

Stay tuned for updates and questions!

Edited by swmand4

Ahhhh the excitement at the start, then the shear panic when you realise you have to cut it lol. Any plans of aiming for EIB or Centurion? I was persuaded at the start of my build to go straight for centurion level, would be so much easier than building to each of the levels one by one. Anyway whatever you decide good luck with the build hope it's a smooth one

Thanks guys. I would love to go Centurion, but don't know if I have the patience for some of the details. Mostly, I'm concerned with the helmet details. Should all painted areas appear hand painted (paint or decal)? Or are the "idealized" tube stripes and traps okay for Centurion level? I already plan to replace the vocoder decal with paint, but don't want to remove the other ones... Which reminds me - I forgot to buy helmet s-trim in my Trooperbay order.

I'm very afraid to do any cutting! Guess I'll have to just dive in and hope for the best :)

Thanks guys. I would love to go Centurion, but don't know if I have the patience for some of the details. Mostly, I'm concerned with the helmet details. Should all painted areas appear hand painted (paint or decal)? Or are the "idealized" tube stripes and traps okay for Centurion level? I already plan to replace the vocoder decal with paint, but don't want to remove the other ones... Which reminds me - I forgot to buy helmet s-trim in my Trooperbay order.

I'm very afraid to do any cutting! Guess I'll have to just dive in and hope for the best :)

Go on do it LOL. To answer your question you can use decals for traps and tube stripes but they need to appear as if hand painted, the only decals I have seen which look hand painted are the Dave M decals which trooperbay sells. You can hand paint if you have steady hands, I haven't so I just went for the Dave M's. You will still have to paint the small grey section on the ears. So if you have to order your s trim from trooperbay add on a set of Dave M decals and take the build to the next level or two LOL

Dude. Everyone is afraid of cutting at first. I trimmed my biceps first and then my forearms. Go slow and you'll be fine.

Congrats on the RT! I have been too busy to really start myself. Lol I bought all of the stuff I need, just need time!

Can't wait to see how your build goes. :D

Tony! I missed that your receive your kit. Time for the peer pressure. Get going dude.

-Eric

Hey Sean,

Welcome to the RT-Mod club brother. I remember the brown box of goodness well. As Glen posted don't stress about the Decals, the ones from Trooper Bay are great and are easy to put on. Just remeber if you decide to head for Centurion you'll need to build using the Cover Strip Method. Other than that you're good to go, good luck with your build.

yeah like everyone says, dont stress about the first cuts, just mark a line then cut a little before it to give yourself some wiggle room then trim back to the line if everything still looks ok. easy to take material away a little harder to put it back but even that can be overcome if need be. as you go your confidence will grow too. then before you know it, your done. and you will be wondering what all the fuss is about. we are here if you need us.

Dude. Everyone is afraid of cutting at first. I trimmed my biceps first and then my forearms. Go slow and you'll be fine.

Tony! I missed that your receive your kit. Time for the peer pressure. Get going dude.

-Eric

I wish. I am in Atlanta this week then Natick, Massachusetts for three weeks then I move to Cincinnati THEN I will be able to start. Lol

Tony: Enjoy the rt 9 traffic my friend. I suggest holing up in John Harvard's brewpub in Natick and drowning your Mass sorrows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tony: Enjoy the rt 9 traffic my friend. I suggest holing up in John Harvard's brewpub in Natick and drowning your Mass sorrows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thankfully I will be shuttled around by the company. Lol Thanks for the tip though! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Sean,

Welcome to the RT-Mod club brother. I remember the brown box of goodness well. As Glen posted don't stress about the Decals, the ones from Trooper Bay are great and are easy to put on. Just remeber if you decide to head for Centurion you'll need to build using the Cover Strip Method. Other than that you're good to go, good luck with your build.

Just got my RT-Mod brown box of happiness today...(I'll do my own build thread soon enough) But I haven't had time to do much research here.

Have a good link to a Centurion / RT Mod build using the Cover Strip Method?

• 3 weeks later...

Just got my RT-Mod brown box of happiness today...(I'll do my own build thread soon enough) But I haven't had time to do much research here.

Have a good link to a Centurion / RT Mod build using the Cover Strip Method?

I saw a link to someone's RT-MOD coverstrip build the other day... He butted the overlaps together and put the coverstrip on top. Don't know how I feel about that.

• 4 weeks later...

After some research, it looks like most people that assemble RT-MOD with coverstrips use the following method: Cut half of the overlap off on each side of the armor piece (see red section in picture below). Then butt the new "half" overlaps together and glue coverstrips on top of (and below) that. Does that sound about right? Does anyone have a detailed close-up picture of what this method looks like from the front and sides? I want to know if the extra raised height of the coverstrip looks okay...

So far Craig, Lee, and Jenny's build threads have been very helpful in understanding what I'm doing.

cut1_zps77c3faae.png

Edited by swmand4

Rather than cut half of the cover strip off I suggest cutting enough to make the width half of the cover strip size you intend to use. Someone can correct me but I think the front of the thigh and shins are somewhere around 25mm. I'd have to go home and look at my kit (overlap) and see how proportional 25ish mm is on thighs and shins. 

-Eric

That's the way I'm doing it. Figure out how much of the "lip" needs to be cut and divide that total between the two halves, equally cutting material from each piece. I'm doing an outside and inside cover strip, makes the pieces feel super sturdy.

In case it wasn't clear in my thread...like Eric and Tony said.  I made a guide strip for my biceps and forearms, but didn't really use it since it wasn't very straight.  Cover strips that I have from Rob are 21mm for the shins.  Thighs are 25.  So, for RT-MOD, cut each half of the shin so you have approximately 10mm on each side to attach your cover strip.  I'm working on the backs of my shins now and still test fitting.  It seems like I have very thin lower legs, since I feel like I'm cutting off a lot :)  Everyone is different, so learning how to customize the armor is part of the process.  Keep up the good work!

Great work man. I am currently working on my Biceps for the RT-Mod. I did what you said about the cover strip, in which I cut enough for it to be flush to the cover strips Rob supplied me with. So i believe biceps are 15mm Looks Great. As well Tony said he added a cover strip inside. I did that as well. Makes it feel more sturdy

Thanks, Eric and Tony for the tip. I assumed the RT overlap was already the correct width. Cutting off the excess to make the two halves match a proper coverstrip is definitely the way to go.

From what I can tell in this tutorial, the correct coverstrip sizing is:

Bicep = 15mm
Forearms = 15mm
Thigh = 20mm
Shins = 20mm

Does this sound about right? Eric, you mentioned that your thigh and shin strips are 25mm... and Lee mentioned that Rob cut your thigh coverstrip to 25mm and shins to 21mm. Are those two armor sections supposed to have different widths? What widths look best on each of four sections? I'm also wondering if the ~10mm excess is sturdy enough to use as the inner strip - Lee, how does it feel in your build?

• Like 1

The inner shims feel great in my build.  I like the added support and weight of the armor.  I think the above cover strip sizes are recommendations.  Depending on your size, they can be made larger if needed, but proportionality and consistency will contribute to the overall look of the armor.  The front is more important than the back too.

Rob cut the cover strips for me and labelled the sizes.  They are straight and long enough so I plan to use them.  The 21mm strips are closer to 20mm, but since the thighs are bigger than the shins, the cover strips are a bit wider is my guess. 

• 2 weeks later...