Comparing MovieFX (Germany), RS Propmasters (UK) and Troopermaster (UK)

Dday

So, like I eluded to in another post that most likely led you here, I had the chance to spend about 6 hours yesterday taking photographs of a very recently pulled MovieFX, RS propmasters and a Troopermaster suit. MFX suit was pulled no more then three months ago, the RS propmasters suit is unknown when it was pulled but it was sent/received a week ago and a Troopermaster that was pulled in October 2012, so all very new molds, all new pulls all the most recent example of each crafters work.

Without further ado, the photos and comments as I go along.

Helmets in a row... Pretty obvious who a few of them are. Left to right TM, RS, MFX.
Some notes... The MFX helmet is considerably smaller then either the TM or the RS. I would say it's at least 5% smaller. There is no wonkiness to it.
IMG_6968_zps12238b64.jpgIMG_6969_zps560690d9.jpgIMG_6972_zpsc281068e.jpg

Edited by Dday

Now onto the rest of the parts.

The TD's first.... Left to right: TM, MFX, RS untrimmed

MFX tube is WAY to small, the panel is not even close to the same as the other two.
IMG_6990_zps6bfd6ab0.jpgIMG_6992_zpsf9285fc6.jpgIMG_6993_zpsc6f6fa14.jpg

Up close and personal, showing that the MFX tube is to small. It does not fit into the caps like it should, it is actually hot glued to the inside of the cap, not in the grooves. This was done by MFX, not the buyer. The TD was bought as assembled.
IMG_6996_zps4e2bc89d.jpgIMG_6997_zps7e31fa9d.jpg

Edited by Dday

The bodies! Ohhh the bodies!
As before Left to right: TM, MFX, RS

TM Front
IMG_7004_zps3339e609.jpg

IMG_7005_zpsc8ab1892.jpg

MFX Front (One thing that isn't readily apparent is that this armor is HIPS matte white. The thickness varies from piece to piece, some being thin, some being thick, some being flexible and some very very rigid.
IMG_7013_zpsa2941b61.jpgIMG_7012_zps4adb8945.jpg

IMG_7024_zps8ada81d4.jpg

The following puzzled me. The crotch piece is very orange peeled, and purposefully so. The orange peel continues on the rest of the cod piece but isn't on the ab portion.
IMG_7011_zps468c0f22.jpg

RS front
IMG_7017_zpse08bfed5.jpg

IMG_7025_zps174322dc.jpg

IMG_7020_zps2329d75a.jpg

MFX Back
IMG_7027_zps667968b5.jpg

RS Back
IMG_7018_zps233bbe4a.jpg

IMG_7022_zpsbd2a5eb5.jpg

TM Back (and front too)
IMG_7026_zps29432594.jpg

Strapping MFX
Poor trimming an strapping job on the MFX (done by MFX) not enough return edge was left for the brackets, and in some places it has already cracked without ever having been trooped in.
IMG_7027_zps667968b5.jpg

IMG_7035_zpsbc90dce2.jpg

Straps are not sewn, but have snaps on them. Makes it easy to undo but the straps are wayyy to long. strapping comes from MFX as well.
IMG_7036_zps4e77c8c0.jpg

Split rivets are HUGE, the prongs are so long... It's a dangerous snag hazard.
IMG_7042_zps851bc05b.jpg

IMG_7039_zpsebf1266c.jpg

Brackets are long on the ab and long on the chest, and long everywhere else for that matter. Should be very short everywhere except the chest to allow for overlap. This puts a lot of undue stress on the armor when there is so much flex/pull.
IMG_7059_zps08343a79.jpg

IMG_7037_zpsb57c3241.jpg

Suit fell from about 2.5 feet when the hanger broke (several weeks ago) and since it landed on the crotch, due to the lack of flexibility of the HIPS and thickness of this area, it cracked instantly.

IMG_7039_zpsebf1266c.jpgIMG_7038_zpsa7463fa2.jpg

Strapping TM (done by suit owner, me. Brackets, bolts and elastics bought from Mr. No Stripes here on the FISD)
IMG_7031_zpsf4f890c0.jpgIMG_7029_zps3b9666ad.jpgIMG_7030_zpsa19c3ccc.jpg

The suits laid out: Left to right TM, MFX, RS
IMG_7045_zps08f8c2a5.jpg

IMG_7044_zpsd24920ca.jpgIMG_7043_zpsd1057150.jpg

Ā 

Edited by Dday

Now, after all of this, There is only one single piece so far that I saw where I really thought, wow, this is exactly the same piece.... A ton of tells are in the piece, lines that at the same, spaces from one piece to the other the same, bumps, dips, flares, all in the same places.

It was between the MFX and the RS....

The ab plate....

MFX
IMG_7049_zps57454d63.jpg

IMG_7050_zpsa0784b9b.jpg

IMG_7057_zps5f18039a.jpg

IMG_7059_zps08343a79.jpg

IMG_7051_zpsa53c6732.jpg

RS

IMG_7060_zps03db65fb.jpg

IMG_7058_zps92a8f137.jpgIMG_7054_zps4439d76a.jpg

IMG_7053_zpsf3d23f18.jpg

IMG_7052_zps66be3e22.jpg

Combined, MFX on the left, RS on the right

IMG_7056_zps5ba226ad.jpg
Ā 

Edited by Dday

Legs and Arms

Left to right: TM, MFX, RS (sometimes the order is swapped but it's easy to tell them. the TM is long and finished, the RS is unfinished, and MFX is smaller and finished, and not shiny.

IMG_7068_zpsdb4cbcac.jpgIMG_7069_zpsa0da44e4.jpg

Note my TM shins are XL, so they look like a boss.

The scale of the arms and legs are smaller then all the others. This not not made for a bigger trooper, or even a medium trooper. They are small and will be tight on a normal sized individual, it looks like it's made to the original actors type proportions.

Note how poorly the MFX sniper plate fits on, the shin and sniper plate are not even from the same craftsman, it can't be. The sniper plate is so poorly made... The upper ridge is WAY to thin, it won't sit on the shin ridge, it is way to wide and shaped wrong. I don't think getting this sniper plate on would even be possible in it's current state.

IMG_7070_zps2c5f96b4.jpg

IMG_7065_zps8203945a.jpgIMG_7063_zps660cddd9.jpg

Do you notice the spikes on the knee plate on the MFX, look a little crooked? Well here is why...
It looks like he put some ABS tabs on his buck and pulled it over them to form the bumps...
IMG_7066_zps03ca5804.jpgIMG_7065_zps8203945a.jpgIMG_7064_zpsc0373d17.jpg

MFX was created to be an overlap
IMG_7072_zps233f372b.jpg

Yet he still overlapped then hot glued a cover strip down
IMG_7073_zpsf85c98a8.jpg

IMG_7075_zps0006e1ad.jpg

Thighs
IMG_7079_zps9ba51d5d.jpgIMG_7080_zps26a0d19c.jpgIMG_7082_zpsa8c1376d.jpgIMG_7083_zps1e361960.jpg

Shoulder Bells Left to right MFX, TM, RS
IMG_7091_zpsec6cb05b.jpgIMG_7090_zps233a8b62.jpg

IMG_7086_zpsa34d6e73.jpg

RS left, MFX right

IMG_7088_zps7b797fe1.jpg

MFX Left, TM right
IMG_7089_zps3b581df5.jpg

IMG_7087_zpsad655c3e.jpg

IMG_7091_zpsec6cb05b.jpg

MFX left RS right
IMG_7090_zps233a8b62.jpg

RS top, MFX bottom
IMG_7092_zpsc17af1c4.jpg

top to bottom RS, MFX, TM

IMG_7093_zps613dd531.jpg

Forearms Left to right MFX, TM, RS
IMG_7094_zps754db0d5.jpg

MFX left, RS right
IMG_7099_zpse6f6ca0d.jpgIMG_7098_zps0088a608.jpg

Ā 

MFX Left, TM, RS right

IMG_7098_zps0088a608.jpg

Biceps

MFX left, RS right
IMG_7100_zpsc6aa42fb.jpg
Ā 

MFX middle, RS outside

IMG_7103_zps00396367.jpg

IMG_7105_zpsc6af3061.jpg

Ā 

RS
IMG_7101_zps9d957273.jpg

MFX
IMG_7102_zpsae1394f5.jpg

RS on the outside, MFX on the inside
Ā 

Edited by Dday

My final thoughts....

Ā 

The majority of this suit is not recast from anything I compared it to, with the exception of a few parts.

Ā 

The ab plate looks like RS and MFX are the same

The biceps, arms look very similar but I'm not 100% I'll leave that to someone else.

Ā 

The helmets, well there is no comparing them there. to me they have no similarities. MFX is to small and shaped more idealistic then the others, which are more screen accurate.

Ā 

If I was to go to someones house and look at these three armors, even in their uncut form.. which would I buy?

Ā 

Hands down the Troopermaster. The pieces fit together, they look spectacular, the lines are awesome the material is hands down the best.

Ā 

RS PVC is nice, shiny and robust but I still prefer the 1.5mm TM ABS, personal preference. It is more realistic.

Ā 

Both TM and RS pulls are very very good. The material is evenly spread, similar thickness throughout and very very flexible. MFX material is dull HIPs, thick in some areas, thin in others, prone to cracks and not flexible at all. Evidenced by the crack in the crotch, the crack in the bracket edges. The crotch area is SUPER thick, the shins on the FMX can barely open they are so stiff.

Edited by Dday

Great, I like the idea of these comparison shots.

But the problem with the helmets is, that you compare the TM Hero to the MFX Hero to the RS Stunt.

Another problem at comparing the suits will be, that the MFX suit you got there ( the one from R2Trooper?) Is not the MFX ANH version, but a mix of the ANH and the more idealized MFX MFX ( strange name, I know). A comparison of untrimmed TM , RS and MFX ANH armor parts would be perfect.

Well, nevertheless I like this idea :-)

Very great thread.

Ā 

And the three best suits in the world.

Ā 

Shins and sniperplate in your pics are not from the MFX ANH kit.

Ā 

Ā 

This are the ANH MFX shins with the ANH sniperplate.

rs2khc8s.jpg

Ā 

Ā 

This are the ANH MFX thighs.

wqzc6p3v.jpg

Edited by TK-50101 Blue Snaggletooth

Yes its cool to see each armor next to the other. I like all of them! The only thing with MFX is HIPS, my broke on the same parts. ok its easy to fix, but it would be better if Guidon would change his material to ABS.

He told me he dont like it because it turns yellow.

The crotch piece is orange peeled, because the HIPS was overheaten. I work in a dental laboratory and we do vacuum formed bite splints and when the material gets overheaten we have the same problem.

But I think Guidon will change the pice if you ask him, he is verry cool with this.

Ā 

Greatings Alex

If those aren't his normal MFX shins and thighs that I photographed, I'm confused as to why he sold them as such...?

Ā 

I think a replacement is in order...

Ā 

The shins you posted look familiar though.

Between the all three types of material, HIPS is by the most fragile and stiff of the three. There is not a lot of "play" in it, and with out much stress, will break. It also has a dull white finish to it, and will not shine even with novus. ABS is a lot more flexible, and seems more durable, with a decent shine, and a little off white. PVC is pretty flexible, and seems pretty rugged, and is straight up white, and very shiny. After looking at all three types of material, HIPS is by far the "cheapest" of the three. Also, the quality and look of the HIPS seem to change a lot in one suit. the plastic must be from different batches, but on one set, it looks kind of weird. It may be the hardest and most "armor feeling" of three, but one good impact and it is broke. I can't even begin to imagine sitting down with the butt plate on. So while Dday says the TM is the best, it is only because he is like 14 feet tall, I can't really compare PVC to ABS yet, HIPS is defiantly grade "F" in my book.

Ā 

As to the sets, it may not be fair to compare Hero to Stunt helmets, but so be it. Still my all time favorite is the eFX fiberglass Hero helmet, but anyway. Like I said, TM is built for a Goliath, the shins are like 4 feet long and look like an elephant thigh bone! :) no, TM is the largest of the three sets, but was made to be an extra large. The MFX suit is rather small, but I was told the biggest they had and could make. The helmet alone is about 5% smaller than the other two. The TM is wide and kind of squished in my opinion. But fits my big melon much better than the MFX, which with my gargantuan sphere of a head, leaves no room for fans or anything. The overall size of RS and TM lids seem about even.

Ā 

Why the MFX is a mix of ANH and MFX armor is beyond me, but all three suits look vastly different from each other. No part of the MFX and RS begin to match up at all except for the left shoulder bell and AB plate. I can not speculate on what these parts of the MFX (ANH, MFX) were cast from, but the RS and MFX are not related at all. The left shoulder and AB plate look almost identical to each other, these two parts are without a doubt in my mind related.

Ā 

I think the true test will be when the RS is finished up, to see how the three look together. But, if anyone out there has an untrimmed MFX, or any other kit, lets get together and have a photo shoot! This is the first thread that I know of that has such a complete and comparative look at three distinct makes. In conclusion, all three sets are very well done, but the material is what sets them apart, and it was great to see, not only the different makes, but plastics, the HIPS is by far the worst material of the three, and I am guessing the cheapest to get ahold of too. The ABS is good and robust, and very flexible, but to me, the PVC is the winner here, from the look, to the durability to the evenness of it throughout the suit, I proclaim the winner. ------DDay, edit your post, you say "the crotch area is super thick" I think you meant super thin. It is like an eggshell.

Good day everyone.

No, the actual crotch in the middle is thick, very thick. the very edges where it broke is thin like eggshell though. It just shows how uneven the pull is. thin at the edges thick in the middle.

One thing about the glossy, the MFX does not shine at all. You can not get it glossy with Novus, but with a cheap Car or plastic polish you can get it to high gloss! I made it with Sarahs Armor some day ago, itƂĀ“s hard work but ist works verry well. :)

Ā 

The shins are different because MFX sells MFX ANH Kit and a cheaper kit called "MFX kit" the MFX kit does not need Coverstripes on the legs, because they overlap.

Edited by Opi Wan

I think the biceps and forearms of MFX and RS clearly line up up and it's obvious to me they come from an RS recast. As for the MFX Hero helmet it could come from the GF Hero.

I will have to put up some different photos of the biceps, when you look at both sets, you can clearly see they are not alike. They way they curve, the "thumb imprint", the entire thing is totally different, even how they go together.

Ā 

What I always told. But they don't want to accept.

My final thoughts....

Ā 

The majority of this suit is not recast from anything I compared it to, with the exception of a few parts.

Ā 

The ab plate looks like RS and MFX are the same

The biceps, arms look very similar but I'm not 100% I'll leave that to someone else.

Ā 

Ā 

On this point i would agree.

The mfx ab-plate does realy look like a RS recast to me ,too.

Ā 

It's always great to see how close TM's work is compared to the screen used stuff.

IMHO his armour fit's ways better together as all other ones.

The overall look of the lines is better.

Edited by Turrican

Very great thread.

Ā 

And the three best suits in the world.

Ā 

Shins and sniperplate in your pics are not from the MFX ANH kit.

Ā 

Ā 

This are the ANH MFX shins with the ANH sniperplate.

rs2khc8s.jpg

Ā 

Ā 

This are the ANH MFX thighs.

wqzc6p3v.jpg

Ā 

It would be very interesting to compare the MFX ANH armor with TM and RS instead of the here investigated "budget"-model MFX MFX (sounds silly).

Ā 

I agree with TM and RS being the best suits in the world - I am not sure about MFX though.