Kid's foam trooper build

Since I can't sculp or have the time/money to learn/build a vactable I decided to build a foam TK for my 5 year old boys. I am using the TK409.com tutorial. Feel free to move this if you think it shouldn't be in here with the big boys.

I went down to the local craft store and got some foam sheets for .98 cents each and some glue for 2.00. These things should cost about 10.00 each without a mask. Not sure what to do about mini helmets yet.

Below are what the sheets look like from the store.

0C878EBA-3130-4AC4-A39F-9345647C69EC-136-0000000482390F52_zpse2b4b627.jpg

My sons are identical twins *insert clone joke* so I only had to wrangle one of them to take some measurements for both suits.

I cut out the forearms and biceps and then some fake cover strips and glued them down. For the forearm divots I cut a wider strip and then rectangles our of that to give depth.

E7BCDBB1-BC19-49E6-B9E6-477C20DAFA2B-136-000000048425F12D_zpsfdb4e637.jpg

The biceps will get glued into a tube they slide on and attaches to the shoulder bell like our suits do. The forearms will velcro together.

I'm looking forward to following your build thread and the end result.

Are you planning to make your own helmet too as that will indeed be a challenge.

I ended up using one of the bug eyed, butt nasty Rubies helmets for mine :(

They are very cheap and unwanted.

I managed to get it half decent for a kid by heating and re-shaping it,

Cutting out the eyes and frown and by giving it a paint job.

Hope that helps :)

Hey Phil,

I wasn't even considering it until I saw how your boy's lid turned out. You did an AMAZING job making it look good so I may just go ahead and give it a shot with one of those.

My original plan was to get one of the half deluxe rubies kids helmets for 20 bucks and see what I could do with it. My buddy used the face from a rubies halloween costume and then a plastic helmet and made his daughter a pretty good helmet.

I'm gonna keep am eye on this topic as I bought a bunch of foam a few months ago but am still unsure if I want to build it, plus I have no idea of what to use for helmet..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Jeroen,

Check out Phil's mini trooper thread. He was able to pull off a pretty nice little helmet using an old Rubies helmet. I was thinking of going with a Rubies kid helmet and seeing what I can do to make it look a little better. TM made some JR kits that have mini helmets too. Those things look better than my EIB TK suit too. If you can find someone willing to part with one.

I've been on the lookout myself for over a year :)

Jeroen,

Check out Phil's mini trooper thread. He was able to pull off a pretty nice little helmet using an old Rubies helmet. I was thinking of going with a Rubies kid helmet and seeing what I can do to make it look a little better. TM made some JR kits that have mini helmets too. Those things look better than my EIB TK suit too. If you can find someone willing to part with one.

I've been on the lookout myself for over a year :)

Thanks, I will look that up. Those JR kits from TM are really awesome yeah, I would love to have that for my daughter.. she only wants a stormtrooper nowadays, I was thinking about making a young Sith out of her, since all I needed was a saber and some robes but nope, TK is the only thing she wants lol.. why oh why do they grow so fast and why oh why is rubies so bad :( lol

Wanted to get a little more done on the foam suits today but the wife had other projects for me to finish up. I got a rough cut out of the chest piece and just letting the glue dry before moving on.

BD748729-F34F-466E-BE2E-5A62F295A35A-136-0000005E7CBEE195_zps9b7774ea.jpg

Then spent the rest of the day sanding and painting this.

E8952F74-5EDC-421D-A3A6-7E32DC9BDDE5-136-0000005E7A5FE284_zps963e162b.jpg

I'm sure I never seen one of those on the death star LOL. Nice project, coming along nicely, use the FOAM Luke

Guys, I'm amazed that no one as mentioned Sandeman - Clay and the brilliant little suits and blasters that he made for his beautiful little daughter Sophia :)

LILTROOPER7.jpg

IMG_2120.jpg

DSC02187.jpg

DSC_0010-1.jpg

DSC_0051.jpg

http://www.whitearmo...2859#entry92859

http://www.whitearmo...__fromsearch__1

http://www.whitearmo...__fromsearch__1

There is also some really good info on TK409's site under the section 'Mini Trooper Costume'

http://www.tk409.com/tk409.html

and some great stuff on SL-9160 -Rob Carmichael's website here

http://www.omahajedi...mtrooper_ii.htm

Can't wait to see an army of little TK's out there :salute:

:)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Guys, I'm amazed that no one as mentioned Sandeman - Clay and the brilliant little suits and blasters that he made for his beautiful little daughter Sophia :)

I know I'm a few months behind, but thanks for the recognition Billy.  I hope the build inspires others!

Edited by Sandeman

Not sure what to do about mini helmets yet.

I made two versions (links on my signature): one using a Rubies mask and one I molded from a Disney Stormtrooper bank and pulled in foam.  The pulled bucket is pretty small (2-4 year-old size), so I might suggest you take a look at this site:

http://paper-replika.com/index.php?option=com_content&id=7472:stormtrooper-helmet-with-eva-foam-pepakura&Itemid=200144