Finish (cover) strip measurements

I know we have dicussed this a thousand times already. Since I have not been around due to total immersion in another costume project, I apologize if it has been discussed recently. We all know about the cover strip measurements: 15mm for arms, 20mm leg fronts, 25mm leg backs. However, a good friend of mine with direct contacts to RS Props said those are too wide. He just finished his RS build and used these thinner measurements for his finish strips. Just want to find out the opinion here.

• Like 1

The numbers are approximations that look good together. We know for a fact that they varied. For example the cover strip on one of RS's original thighs is something like 19 mm in one end and 22 mm in the other. The original suits are simply not built with the same kind of attention we build ours with.

I'm not really sure why this is such a big deal and why so many get caught up with it though.

• Like 1

because thinner is more accurate than what we are currently told to make...

that's why! and I for one like the look of them being smaller with more edge lip too!

my 2 cents!

if accuracy is the goal then why stop at wrong sized cover strips just because we're "told"

that it looks better if it's wrong?

why accept ?

why deny?

BTW what are the smaller dimensions?

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

if accuracy is the goal then why compromise?

and I would like to ask the poster to supply the RS dimensions for the parts

it's about armor accuracy...

not about anything else. I don't agree that we should teach people to do an armor part a certain way just because we think it looks better...

we should stand for how it actually was done

I suppose it's a point where there is confusion...

some elements are considered important while other aspects are overlooked and accepted?

my suggestion is that the cover strips and the lip on armor is important to consider?

it's like putting on the thigh power pack?

or the sniper knee! all important aspects to be sure!

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

Wow, cool down ;)

The numbers are approximations that look good together. We know for a fact that they varied. For example the cover strip on one of RS's original thighs is something like 19 mm in one end and 22 mm in the other. The original suits are simply not built with the same kind of attention we build ours with.

I'm not really sure why this is such a big deal and why so many get caught up with it though.

They width varied. Full stop. And that´s okay imho.

Stay with the cover strip size near those measurements and if that´s not possible, e.g. because you are a bigger trooper, then keep the proportions right.

Where is your need for a big discussion?

Besides, these approximations aren't just taken out of thin air. I imagine a great deal of research went into reaching these numbers. And if you average out the numbers i mentioned of the RS thigh strip (which I'm not 100% sure of, since I can't remember where I read them) you get (19+22)/2 = 20.5 so it's not very far off.

13mm - 16mm - 19mm - 22mm - 26mm

They're all over the place seriously, just use your imagination with the sizes.

Looking at the suit in person, I was way before my time when it comes to building accurate suits way back when I made them sloppy as. Ask Paul H :-)

It seems as if the more precisely we try to quantify the costume details, the more people argue about it. I vote that we refer to this as the Tarkin Uncertainty Principle, in honor of ol'Moff, because the more he tightens his grip, the more stuff slips through his fingers. Which is why no one invites him over for pudding.

Plus, y'know, he blew up.

Edited by fritzthefox
  • Like 3

It seems as if the more precisely we try to quantify the costume details, the more people argue about it. I vote that we refer to this as the Tarkin Uncertainty Principle, in honor of ol'Moff, because the more he tightens his grip, the more stuff slips through his fingers.

I like that approach. :)

• Like 1

Yes, I think it's just as important to have your cover strips proportionate to the actual size of your limbs. Too skinny or too fat would look off, even if it is the "correct" width.

• 2 years later...

Yes, I know this is an old topic but most everything here is and it still NEEDS a bit of clarification.  I understand the a few different points of view are subscribed to and as someone who is still working on their Armor, I would like a bit more input if possible.

Every time I search for cover strip measurements from Google I get this link :

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/22913-finish-cover-strip-measurements/

When I'm signed IN here on whitearmor and do a cover strip search in the forums I get this link :

-------------

When I do a search for Finish strip I get no results found.

Am I doing something wrong ?  Or is this all that is said about them.

Is there ANY PLACE (link or otherwise) that has ACTUAL MEMBERS with images (close ups would be great) and the measurements that THEY USED ?

I've been hitting a brick wall at other avenues of getting this information clearly stated, and while I agree 99% that it does need to be accurate, I also agree 100% that if it does not look right, that is going to have a larger effect on the general public (if any) than the exact correct measurements.    I'm sure that SOMEWHERE they have them, but I've never been to ANY CON, where I've seen someone walking around with a vernier caliper measuring things.

So, is anyone willing to zap a few images and post them of their cover strips / finish strips front and back ? (front more important to me at this time)

And as long as were on this subject, with all the info here, why are measurements not on the the images for the CRL's that most everyone follows ?    Understanding that there should be a disclaimer stating something like these are the measurements for THIS TK's Armour - Yours may be close but does not have to be EXACT ?

Just asking, because I really have searched allot and there is nothing that doesn't lead to more questions and me second guessing myself !    ( Now that makes two of us, Me, AND my Wife !!!    Grin ) 

Thanks,

Dan

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

You know, you could always take a look at an actual suit used in the movies instead: http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/gallery/album/59-the-rs-suit/

Locitus, AWESOME !!!   I know, or at least THOUGHT I KNEW I had seen every page on this site and here ya come with something I had not seen.   And this was more telling than ANYTHING I could just read...   Actual images of a REAL RS Suit that SHOWS SOME of the actual measurements.     While I was thinking I was close, I now KNOW that I am close "enough" on some and spot on on some of the others...   

A W E S O M E   !

Thank You for pointing these out...

Dan

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
On 2/7/2015 at 10:50 AM, Locitus said:

You know, you could always take a look at an actual suit used in the movies instead: http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/gallery/album/59-the-rs-suit/

So I know this post hasn't been active recently, but dang this link is super useful! Thanks Mathias!

5 hours ago, darthanael said:

So I know this post hasn't been active recently, but dang this link is super useful! Thanks Mathias!

I know, right? ;)

• Like 2