Echo's ANH Stunt Build [RS]

Officially starting this thread for my build. Its my first venture into costuming and the mixture of excitement and sheer terror has fully set in. (A feeling I'm sure most have had at first). I want the process of crafting the armor to be big part of the experience so I plan to document every part I can.

The forms and designs of the Star Wars Universe have always fascinated me. While making my Trooper armor, I thought it would be good to study each component through photographs in order to become aware of the nuances of its design. I chose to get my kit from RS Propmasters due to the accuracy to the films. RS does an ok job of letting newcomers know what are comprised in their kits, but to be honest I wasn't exactly sure what I was all getting until I opened the box. I figured including some of my study into this thread would be interesting to others like me who aren't familiar with the actual raw pieces that come in a kit. There are a lot of how-to's, in-progress and final photo's but not many photo's of the kits themselves. I also think these objects are beautiful in their own right.

So, I'm photographing each piece from multiple angles and essentially cataloging my kit. Don't worry I won't put every image on this thread, but enough to show my progress. I'll set up a photobucket album with all shots for those interested.

Basic Information on the Armor:

RS Propmasters

PVC kit

Fully Loaded Strapping Pack (Includes Helmet Pack, Strapping Pack, Replica Belt and Latex Guards with Gloves)

Here are initial photo's:

Helmet Face, Cap and strapping pack pieces

TK-2013Pages_Page_03_zpsd7375546.jpg

TK-2013Pages_Page_04_zps3c724ce3.jpg

TK-2013Pages_Page_05_zps46a46164.jpg

TK-2013Pages_Page_06_zpsd972ed12.jpg

TK-2013Pages_Page_07_zps1b48e697.jpg

cap03_zps5c81316a.jpg

accessory-04_zpse6835628.jpg

Hopefully not too annoying with all of the images. I'm just excited about the kit. I'll be editing my post as the build progresses. Thanks for your patience.

-echo

Edited by Echo

Congrat's on your kit arrival Frank (hope it's ok to christian you that, I'm Aussie so it's mandatory I shorten your name :D ).

Glad to see it wasn't only me so excited by my kit arrival. Good luck with your build, have fun.

And theres me thinking i posted a lot of photos :P , nice one Fransico shall enjoy watching this build as i did doing my RS PVC , take your time mate and dont rush and be sure to follow the original ANH armour , ie - on screen or the achives photo's :duim:

an excellent choice of armour my friend,i have RS myself and i love it!

dont think ive ever seen pics with the tissue paper still on though lol!

i can see your excited,just as we all are when first receiving that brown box.

enjoy your build,nice and steady is the key,good luck bro! ;)

Woo! Glad to see you starting here. :) You can't have too many photos. We love photos. That said, I'll probably forget to check here again without reminders, given that I have every single other thread on this entire board to devour every day... :P

You will rock it! :D

Ok update #1:

I've started trimming the edges of the Biceps and Forearms. Admittedly I am being a bit timid about how much of a return to cut. I've looked at a lot of images and posts. Some threads I have read suggest about a 5mm return except for the wrists. But when I compare to LFL or other builds, the edges look thinner. I've been told the edges really come down to comfort, but as my first build its hard to know what that will be. Of course the fear is going too far and trimming too much. I have a feeling I can trim these further at least on the bottom edges. Should I trust my feelings Master?

Also I haven't trimmed these to fit my arms yet, though I have taped them to test it. From other threads, I saw that cover strips should be about 15mm. Correct? Oh and the side of the strips should be flush with the raised edges along the forearms right?

Biceps01_zps6568e70c.jpg

Forearms01_zpsb1ca1c52.jpg

RightForearmOuter01_zps28ed84de.jpg

Edited by Echo

I know cover strips sizes are argueable, but from what I have seen arms are around 15mm and leg fronts 20mm backs 25mm, but can be adjusted to fit your frame. yeah cover strips should be flush with the sides if the ridges or as close as possible. as for the biceps if it was me I would trim from the top as that is covered by your shoulder bells ans not as easily seen but thats just me. pretty sure you can take up more of the return on the bottom, not sure if there is a measurement for how much return edge is required.

Edited by Spector

Cover strip question on the forearm shown below. Should I trim the butt edges of each side underneath the cover strip to make them more flush along the sides? Or is it ok as shown?

Forearmquestion_zpsb33d6e2f.jpg

Edited by Echo

Oh, I can get my hand through, but I haven't tried with a glove on. I figured the gloves go on after...

The back seam isn't trimmed so I can still adjust. Do you really fit the forearms over gloves?

the gloves are usually longer than your wrist its easier to put them on before than to try to stuff them under the forearms. the gloves aren't real thick nomex is thin and the rubber chemical gloves for Centurian are a little thicker. you should be fine. I personally put my gloves on first then the forearms do what works for you. I should have worded it differently. its not a huge factor I have big hands. your doing great, feel free to PM me if you need a quick answer to a question I will get you pointed in the right direction. Otherwise just keep doing what your doing. You got this!

Ok, I'll test it with my gloves. I have the rubber gloves with latex hand guards. My hands just fit as it is, so I'll have to loosen the wrist end of the forearm so the guard can fit.

I put my gloves on after my forearms, seems pretty easy to me, see how you go think it's just a general preference what ever works for you :duim:

Ok, I'll test it with my gloves. I have the rubber gloves with latex hand guards. My hands just fit as it is, so I'll have to loosen the wrist end of the forearm so the guard can fit.

those are only required for Centurion, for regular trooping I wear Nomex gloves the breath better, so my hands dont get all slippery and nasty.

those are only required for Centurion, for regular trooping I wear Nomex gloves the breath better, so my hands dont get all slippery and nasty.

Use glove liners. Makes it much more comfortable.

Since I started using glove liners I have not used nomex gloves even on non canon troops.

Yes, gloves go on after forearms.

Until recently I always put my gloves on before forearms. Just discovered when I got my rubber handguard gloves that it is actually much easier to do gloves last. Tucking them into the forearms isn't as difficult as I thought it would be. Beautiful armor, best of luck with your build.

Gloves after was easy for me, so I kept the wrist end tight. Widening it enough to fit over hand plates would be too loose, but i have skinny arms. Thx for the input.

Thanks for the encouragement all. Last night I was trimming the thigh plates. I used a 10mm strip as a guide to cut along the front ridges and taped them for a test fit. The RS pieces are of different lengths. Hope this isn't to obvious of a question, but I aligned the bottom edge and let the difference occur at the top. Is this correct? There is about a 20-25mm difference at the top. I'm at work so can't post pics at the moment but will do so tonight if it is unclear.

From what I have seen most align the bottom, some choose to leave the top of the pieces out of alignment, I had a little missalignment at the top of my ATA thighs but I gave them a trim and then rolled over the edge and smoothed them with a small modeling iron.