Filling gaps for helmet ear pieces

Have you drilled the 2 ear mounting holes in the helmet already? if you have you'll probably have to re-drill the holes a bit lower. The ear piece in the pic can still be made to fit but it will have to sit a bit lower to be flush.

Don't worry though as the ear piece will cover any extra holes. What armor make is it? worse case you could probably get an extra set of ears...the movie helmets had plenty of gaps so either way it'll be fine.

Good luck... :smiley-sw013:

No you just have to trim to fit. On screen versions they had gaps but most try for s nice tight finish. Ears take a lot of sanding and trimming to get right. Have a look at some of the helmet building threads to compare.

Have you drilled the 2 ear mounting holes in the helmet already? if you have you'll probably have to re-drill the holes a bit lower. The ear piece in the pic can still be made to fit but it will have to sit a bit lower to be flush.

Don't worry though as the ear piece will cover any extra holes. What armor make is it? worse case you could probably get an extra set of ears...the movie helmets had plenty of gaps so either way it'll be fine.

Good luck... :smiley-sw013:

It's ATA

Alright, so you got an extra set of ears with your helmet...no sweat. You just gotta go a little at a time. My helmet is ATA as well...

Here's my build http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/22534-ata-anh-stunt-helmetfinally-started/

I used a dremmel with a sanding bit, lexan scissors, and sand paper.

Like Glen said " a lot of sanding and trimming" and a lot of patience. Most people definitely try for the tightest fit, as did I, however it's your preference on how tight. Look at movie reference pics and also

the Expert Infantry and Centurion requests section where you'll find a bunch of photos with close ups of other troopers helmets.

It depends on we're the ears are touching, if you hold the ear tight against the helmet then go around the base of the ear with a pencil it will leave a line where you need to trim. Ears are hard and take a lot of work to get right. Just hang in there once you get one right the other will be easy

• 2 weeks later...

Home Depot sells tubes of white silicone tub and tile filler/grout called Polyseamseal "High Gloss White". Used it to fill my gaps, smoothing it with a wet finger before completely hardened. Flexible while soft, and dries white. Waterproof, heat resistant, and doesn't shrink. Once dry, I painted over my entire helmet with Valspar Outdoor furniture white. Can't even tell the silicone filler is there.

I posted pics and sealant idea in other topics. Here's a link to the ear gap discussion.

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/14758-any-tricks-to-deal-with-the-ears-gap-properly/page__fromsearch__1

And here's a link to the topic with my finished bucket pic.

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/16064-a-good-clear-sealant-for-buckets/page__fromsearch__1

Hope it helps!

Edited by NewTrooper2