I am not even sure what to think of this...

RoBoT

Maybe now he is, and to that I can only say best of luck. Funerals can be expensive I hear (in Sweden there's a small tax that pays for it).

But he did say that at first they were trying to make profit out of it. I understand that things are different now though.

yes. Locitus. some suggest to make a profit to help pay for her costs or a headstone... i believe Mandy would want others to be able to join. So i'm not assembling them and just getting rid of them... there may be a small padding to cover for costs of shipping etc.. but i'm not making anything now...

the comment about putting lipsitck on a pig.... is that in reference to this being FX? as i know alot of people don't like FX or it being recast?.... because just because it's recast does not mean it is poor quality... the quality is very good.... it's not thin, the lines are very sharp and compared next to mandys authentic AM kit it is hardly a difference and no differnce in thickness of material.. except being the return edges like i said before.

I was asked to back away since I'm not one to put padding around my words, but please understand that I don't mean to harm. But since you are asking me directly, I'm obliged to answer.

If you want to make another good use of your surplus armour I would suggest taking a few kits and part them out as spares for existing FX kits that need replacement parts. I see people asking for it all the time. You might also have some luck with a chip-in page where legion members (or anyone really) could donate some cash for your cause. It might actually be more profitable than your current business plan. As for the making profit comment that was directed at your earlier post about selling while Mandy was still alive, not your current situation.

The lipstick is about the FX, not any recast in particular. You may have the greatest FX in this part of the galaxy. That does not change the fact that it is FX. To me, it's a pig. To others, maybe not.

Were these the same type of kits that AM sells? I don't know much about recasts that's kind of why I brought this up. This is a bit new to me. I am from Spec Ops and over there the term doesn't come up much. I start looking around on the FISD/MEPD and the term pops up everywhere! I was just confused to see a 501st member selling something on Ebay when we always say stay away from Ebay. And then tossing around the word "Recast" which again everyone says stay away from. If this is anything like an AM kit they are really high quality ABS, just need a few mods to make better. I think AM kits go for close to the same price these were selling for, but I don't think they sell the helmet anymore. I am Sorry for the sellers loss I can't imagine what I would do in his position. I didn't want to flame anyone. Just looking at the auction and the way things were worded seemed fishy to me. I want to get in white armor soon (TK), as they seem to get more recognition than a "mini Darth Vader", but I think I will be waiting a little longer now cause I just bought a Shocktrooper from a fellow clonetrooper! I will continue to research around here what I think is best for me. So far RS seems tops. Maybe I should get on a waiting list now!

i do not want anything to sound fishy... please let me know what sounds fishy to you.

ebay IS a bad place to get armor ... but it does not have to be! if people were to be honest and upfront...which is what i am trying to do...

FX is FX some like it some hate it... all agree it's not very accurate but it is still acceptable....

AM is made by the same guy that Made FX armor. AM armor is an upgraded Design. but still not as accurate as.... AP or ATA

While I was at work last night, combing the forums and shopping online and what not, I saw this auction. But I could only read the main post, I could not see the Q and A on the bottom. It does help a little more being able to read that when I looked again on my computer at home. The security on our work computers kinda blocks things out sometimes. I could see something on the bottom of the page, but it was unreadable. So this is an FX kit made of ABS. I just thought FX were gone and had been replaced entirely by AM. I didn't know there were any reputable people selling FX anymore.

So this is an FX kit made of ABS. I just thought FX were gone and had been replaced entirely by AM. I didn't know there were any reputable people selling FX anymore.

"FX" is still made by lots of people. But none of them are the original makers of FX. They are all recasts. The original FX guys moved on to make AM and with that discontinued FX. They have now moved on further and discontinued AM.

When I say "fishy" it just seemed contrary to everything I have heard until now. Don't buy on ebay and don't buy recast. That's all. Just the first time I have seen something advertised like this. Usually people say things like "Screen Accurate" or fail to mention that they are "Fan Made". I know that your ad was pretty honest in it's entirety. The QA at the bottom does help. It's just something you don't normally see on ebay.

"FX" is still made by lots of people. But none of them are the original makers of FX. They are all recasts. The original FX guys moved on to make AM and with that discontinued FX. They have now moved on further and discontinued AM.

I see. That I didn't know. When I look through the armor thread this is all it says about FX:

Type: FX

Availability: FX is not currently being sold. Do not buy from e-bay - kits are over-priced, the quality is often dubious, and always recast.

Kit: ABS, trimmed, fan sculpt.

Comments: It's good, robust armour that will hold up to a lot of abuse. While the helmet is fading away, the armor continues to be popular and will be in the Legion for some time.

I think all my questions have been answered here. A lot has been posted since I went to bed this morning and woke to see what became of it. Andrew I am sorry for your loss, and sorry if this thread has caused you any issue. When I saw the sale on Ebay it just looked wrong. I like the idea of you honoring your wife and even growing the legion in the process. I myself have gotten too far into this to want to purchase a recast FX kit, as I get the feeling that FISD is trying to phase these out. If there is anything the neighboring WI Garrison, and the New Black Ice Squad can do to help out let me know. I think your heart is in the right place and I wish you the best.

recast yes... but so is ATA.... it's a recast of a recast of an original screen used suit with permission right? well what's the difference... besides that ATA kits are more accurate... if people know upfront...

The difference is that some people, like TE2 and others as well, paid 15 to 20 thousand dollar for the molds and rights to do this while others take a suit from some other maker and sells it off as their own. I agree that in the end it's both recast but the stories behind it are often different and that is why people are so much against these things. Discussions regarding recasts can become very emotional for some.. Accuracy is not the only thing that plays a part here.

I understand you're currently trying to honor your loved one, and I respect that. I do not know what you originally paid for the armors but at 500 bucks, I feel that is a bit on the expensive side for something that is technically outdated. Take ATA, for example, they sell it for 500 bucks (add 50 or so for shipping) and looks ten times better imo. While I am sure of your good intentions, I do think your ebay post is a bit misleading since you're saying this is great quality for little money while, in fact, it's not really. ATA, in my opinion, is much better bang for your buck. People who buy your armor think they buy something awesome and when they do some research afterwards, they will find out it's not exactly top of the line. In that sense it is a bit misleading. Also, I do not completely agree with one of the FAQ answers. The one where you say "short answer yes" to the question if it will be approved for the 501st should be "short answer no" in my opinion. Technically no armor is automatically approved, they only are after the wearer makes it so that it fits them nicely and is build after the guidelines in the CRL's. That should've been the long answer in my opinion.

I think Mathias has a very good point that it might be a good idea to become some surplus for those who already own FX. That way you can help the 'oldtimers' who might have problems getting parts for their armor and you prevent new people from getting stuff from ebay that they really shouldn't buy. In my personal opinion this would be the more honorable thing to do.

Again, I feel terribly for your loss. I understand your current intentions and that's why I am giving you the benefit of the doubt even though it didn't start out with these intentions. But if you want to do something honorable I think it will be better to review your business plans and perhaps look into becoming a parts seller instead :)

Edited by svache

AHH yes i see.. i agree with you on the short answer long answer.... I will switch that... thank you for pointing that out... I also think the parts idea is good too. I have so many of these kits... i just don't want to be stuck with a bunch of parts... my goal is more to get new people in armor and out there trooping. I know most don't like FX some do... I like FX ...others in my garrison like FX as well... just not the helmet... the helmet is still approvable though...

I agree with recaster discussion... its bad...

PLEASE UNDERSTAND...our original intention was to buy a bunch of "original" armor kits. and what I THOUGHT i made a deal for WAS original... until i spoke with dale... so my original intentions were not to sell recasts at all..... I hope everyone understand that point. It was to sell assembeled ready to wear original armor. We were going to make a profit on doing the work of assembly... it is fun...

the $500 for armor that is already cut out sanded and just ready to be assembeled is good for some that don't have the skills to do this... the fact one thinks it's not good armor is just because they believe FX is terrible... the plastic and the details are excellent of this kit.... but if someone is just going for basic approval and wants to be a part of an orginization... it is a fair price... I paid 450 for each kit. ( remember i thought this was a good deal as i saw kits selling for thousands) I should have educated myself first... but hey... hindsite is always 20/20 right? but to be honest... i would rather pay 500 for a kit that is already pre cut and ready to be assembled than have to cut each part out...

my goal right now is to ( and i would like others opinion on this... and will discuss this with my garrison as well) I will design a memorial patch.. this was suggested to me already to raise funds for a headstone / funeral costs... but instead i would rather honor her.... and use the procedes to go into a POT or scholarship where our garrison or perhaps even a group of people ( i don't know who) can decide who deserves to get FREE armor or reduced priced armor.... We... after all.. are troopers helping troopers... why not extend that to troopers helping future troopers as well. I could be way off base in this suggestion or idea but have been given only ( Yes this is a great idea! responses from people)... but to be able to put someone in a free set of starter armor... is what she would have wanted....

yes it is FX... but once the kits are gone... perhaps these funds can to a real armor maker so they can send a deserving person this gift armor.

but with my training i received in movie industry FX, model building and prop building... i believe i will sculpt my own set of armor eventually. I really need to try and keep my mind occupied right now....

UPDATE: I changed some details of the description and tried to explain on ebay about recasting a little better and also about FX being not as detailed.. I also explained in detail about how there is no such thing as 501st approved armor... and put a warning about such claims... and explained the process a bit. Pointed people to research on message boards and forums about armor types to get a better understanding.....

I also am using the donation feature..... and donating a percentage to the Make-A-Wish foundation. I saw that i could do that and jumped at that chance... and realized that Mandy never really got to make it to a troop completely in armor... Her funeral was almost like her first official troop to raise money for charity. Those that came to her viewing and funeral were given the opportunity to give to her charity of choice.." the Make-A-Wish Foundation... So in a way, i'd like to think..... she had her first charity troop.. we received a lot of cards where people donated.... She would be proud.

Edited by QuickQuests

The changes are looking good! :duim:

I like the patch idea. Many of the 501st are crazy about patches, and while I hardly buy any patches of something that I am not affiliated to one way or the other, I promise you to make a purchase as well when I see the patch pop up :)

You're right about the labor, that by itself is worth something as well. And true, as long as people are informed, then you did your job :)

With the things that's going on with you right now, with all that you already have to deal with and how you are able to talk about this FX thing at the same time, and with the things you're doing and will be doing, I think she would be proud indeed!

Looking forward to that patch! ;)

If you have to use something for a movie and you know up front the armor is most likely going to be damaged, I would indeed use armor like this as this is much cheaper than some of the other armors. You can mod them to TD afterwards indeed, as long as it is minor damage. It's not that much that you would have to change :)

I have an update for everyone.... After meeting with some people and speaking with my garrison... ( remember i'm a noob) i should not even be putting my TK number on the ebay auctions etc. So i will take that off of my auctions as well...

more about my armor kits.... When i purchased it... i orderd from a guy named Mr. Nader. What i purchased was stock that was ordered and prepared for a guy named David Ashcroft....I guess this david guy was a big seller in the past and was a bad name? well this David guy ordered these kits and he never paid for them... When i asked mr. Nader about why David Ashcroft's name was on the boxes he explained to me about them being already prepared etc for him...

I told him that i didn't think it was appropriate that this persons name was on them as he is not the one selling them... i am... he agreed and is changing it immediately.

Yesterday I was pretty discouraged because i felt i was causing harm to a good orginization... and that i was being used as a pawn because I didn't know any better... which the case usually is that nasty people take advantage of good hearted people. But i believe Good and honesty will always prevail....(mandy would have laughed at that statement and remined me that I AM a member of the dark side)

I spoke to Mr. Nader and am going to pay to have some of my kits shipped to me at 4 or 5 at a time which would raise the price if i sold those kits... but I think it's a great idea that was brought up by LOCITUS to sell loose pieces or parts. I think there are people that really need parts and i could really help others that way too.... I need some stuff to do to keep my mind and my hands busy anyway.....

i just feel really lonely recently and i think it would help.... maybe i'll even build one for fun.........

we had our Garrison meeting yesterday and the last half of the meeting i just stood and stared out the window... ( it was at the same place and room where mandy and I first went to a meeting together) it was rough.....

Sorry for typing out a DEAR DIARY reply.. i'm sure i'm probably borring everyone.. lol anyway.. to answer some of the questions above and the messages i received about the kits:

1. to keep the cost of the kits low i didn't have them all shipped to me... they are in London with Mr. Nader

2. The kits would take falling and squib effects for a film very well. the armor is thick ABS and with the return edges removed it would allow enough flexing to help with falling so it won't snap or anything it's sturdy.. i can actually sit down when i'm suited up.. which brings me to #3

3. The cod piece and ab piece are cut and then you attach with elastic so you can have better movement and this seam is hidden with the belt. Which brings me to #4

4. the belt that comes with the kit is the plastic one.... still passable but like everyone else.... upgrading to the canvas belt is better.... and you can use the plastic ment for the belt to shim if need be.

5. the kit does not come with the knee piece with the spike on top that TD's use, so converting it to a TD... would be impossible without that piece. A heavy weapons trooper would probably be better idea.

if any other questions please feel free to continue to PM me. or just reply.. i'll do my best to reply in a timely fashon.

Edited by QuickQuests

Just a heads-up

the exact same kits are available elsewhere for as little as $250

When I (unwittingly) bought mine from the very same David Ashcroft, it was only $300

Stormtrooper Heaven (the apparent makers) even offer replacement parts for free if you break one

Make of that what you will

• 3 weeks later...

Just a heads-up

the exact same kits are available elsewhere for as little as $250

When I (unwittingly) bought mine from the very same David Ashcroft, it was only $300

Stormtrooper Heaven (the apparent makers) even offer replacement parts for free if you break one

Make of that what you will

that is very interesting........ i will look into that... than you for that info....but my stock is almost depleted and so i'm glad to be done with this... I will be working on a memorial patch for my Mandy.

• 1 month later...

Huuum you guys need to be educated.

Here's are the real facts of the FX armor origins.

Back in 1997 Dale Mattson aka "Wookie Cantina" a online SW collectibe store now known as FX, actually recasted GF(Gerardo Follano) fan sculpted armor who was the original creator of the FX design armor, Dale was actually buying the armors from GF and reselling at profit, unfortunately like most recaster became greedy and decided to recast without GF authorisation and mass produce the kits in Mexico, sold thousands worldwide, basically GF never got credit for it, but Dale denying he had recasted GF was caught first hand, GF being from CANADA used a canadian dime to make the round center button details on the belt which appeared on all the FX suit recasts Dale sold, you could clearly see Queens Elizabeth face and dime detail from inside the belt part, so the fact is that Gerardo Follano was the original creator of the FX style armor which is known worldwide and worn by thousands of troopers, and between all this FX scam is when TE (trooper experts) came in contact with GF, they struck a deal and gave GF full authorization to produce ANH style armor from TE molds and history was made, IMHO GF, TE , GINO are the pionners of the fan made suits and the main reason of the accurate armors we have available today. This thread should be a stick which is part of fan made trooper history.

Mark (AP)

Edited by ABS80

• 3 weeks later...

that is very interesting........ i will look into that... than you for that info....but my stock is almost depleted and so i'm glad to be done with this... I will be working on a memorial patch for my Mandy.

I just read through this whole thread. I am sorry for your loss, and I think your effort to get armor out to those who want it is a noble effort, from both a potential charity aspect as well as a hobbying aspect.

I just ended up in the ownership of my first set of TK armor (yay!) and I think it is one of your FX-M kits - the kit has all the characteristics you described and the PDF of instruction that accompanies it lists it as FX-M with a header in memorial of Mandy.  I did come across the armor on Ebay, and it must have been re-sold by one of your prior buyers, as it was shipped to me from the UK. Regardless, I'm excited to get working on it.

Best of luck with the memorial patch.  Certainly let us know when it is available, I would love to get one and contribute whatever I can.

jnnfr72, on 23 Jan 2013 - 11:01 AM, said:snapback.png

I don't know. Sorry. Nobody's perfect. Can't we turn this into a "Hey - we're the FISD.. and we'll help whoever buys these less than perfect suits into a 501st approvable suit. We want to help, cause it's all about Troopers helping Troopers."

As for this - would love whatever help/advice is available.  Was going to post on a different area of the forum with pictures, etc. of the kit.

Edited by kennyo21361