Trooper of the Month

Troop of the Month

FISD Web Site What's Up

Swag Report

Off Topic

gallery_14191_42_1235.png

gallery_14191_42_27023.png

Greetings, Fellow Troopers,

I would like for everyone to take a moment of silence for our most recently fallen TK.

On January 5th, 2013, Mandy Zehner (TK-51110) of the Northern Darkness Garrison, passed away unexpectedly. Mandy acted as support for her local 501st at several events in Northern Indiana. She had completed her Stormtrooper build and was excited about becoming a full member of the 501st, but unfortunately did not get the chance to submit her application. However, since her passing, Mandy's costume has been approved and her TK-ID assigned.

Mandy was the wife of Andrew Zehner (TK 25866), the Northern Darkness Garrison GWL. Our condolences go out to Mandy's family, friends, and Garrison. Mandy is now enshrined forever as one of our Eternal Legionnaires. You can show your support by signing Mandy's guest book.

Journey Of The 300:

This is the Empire!!!

Just like King Leonidas and his loyal Spartans, the battle for 300 EIB TK's was a hard one and we are still 2 short of hitting that mark. 300 EIB's will be a great victory for the TKs and I am extremely proud of those numbers, but, the war is not over. The 300 mark represents well over 10% of the Legion's active TKs. Currently we have 2,468 active TK's and with the Legion coming up on its 16th year, we still have a long journey. I would like to see the ratio reversed with the 10% being non EIB and the 90% being EIB TKs. So to be able to reverse this ratio, anytime that you are out at a troop, whether you are a veteran or a new member, get involved in promoting the EIB artisan program. Explain that it only takes a few more steps and not a lot of time and money to take anyone's TK to the EIB level. Be an ambassador to the program and show that it is not about "elitism," but about pride.

Heavy News About The HWT:

I am proud to say that after many years, the Heavy Weapons Trooper, aka: Shocktrooper, from Star Wars: Battlefront, is now under its proper designation as a TK. Since the inception of the costume, it has been incorrectly categorized as a TD (Sandtrooper). This has been troublesome to a many people for a while and needed to be cleared up. The sniper knee plate and abdominal detailing to this character clearly showed that it was based off of the ANH Stormtrooper and did not have the characteristics of the Sandtrooper diamond knee plate and missing ab detail. So the Heavy Weapons Trooper is now in its proper category. So all you Heavy Weapons Troopers, wear your TK proudly!

A special Thank You goes out to Ken (Muppet) LMO for working with me on this, and bringing home the Heavy Weapons Trooper to it proper designation.

Touching On Basics:

In the spring of 2012, the FISD had discussions and polls on basic standards for the TKs. Some of these standards should have been baseline from the inception of the CRLs, but it is not as clear cut and as easy as some may think. After 3 LMOs this past year, I am proud to announce to everyone the addendums for the basic level have been greenlit and the work on the changes/updating is currently being done to the CRLs.

Some of the basic addendums range from holster placement and attachment, correct belt material, gasket mold trimming to the ROTJ style, etc. You can refer back to the discussions and polls that are found in the Detachment Only section of the FISD web site.

This is a great victory for the TKs and makes the journey for anyone starting out a new build to more easily understand the variations to the TKs. It makes the journey to EI, if they are wanting to go to that level, an easier process as well.

30 Years:

2013 marks the 30th anniversary of Return of The Jedi. This movie brought forth a new variation of the Original Trilogy Stormtrooper

From starwarshelmets.com:

"For Return of the Jedi, Made 1981/82, the Lucasfilm needed a significant number of Stormtroopers for the Death Star and Endor scenes - far more than were left over from ESB (themselves hand-me-down's from ANH). They therefore produced 50 or so new Stormtrooper helmets and Armor sets, basing the design on effectively a "recast" of an earlier ANH/ESB helmet and armor. Because of this recasting process - the ROTJ versions made in 1981/82 look significantly different from their ANH/ESB counterparts. The design was amended quite significantly by the prop makers in London from the ANH/ESB look (although partly so by accident) and it features a taller, almost squashed or streamlined look with thinner ears. The majority of the helmets had green bubble lenses".

To date there are 24 active ROTJ TK's in the Legion. I know there are a lot of people out there that only embrace the ANH versions, but I hope to see a lot of you looking for your next brown box and starting your build of the ROTJ to commemorate this chapter of the Stormtrooper. We've got to show "them Ewoks" who's boss. Because I believe it was the tree dodging Scout Troopers who lost the battle of Endor for the Empire and not the Stormtroopers (Just kidding, Biker Scouts)... I also blame the AT-ST drivers, as well. LOL!! :laugh1::P

2013 Elections:

It is that time of the year again. We are on the threshold of Legion elections (February, 2013), not only for Legion CO but for Garrisons, Squads, and Detachments.

At this time, I will announce that I will not be seeking re-election for the FISD Detachment Leader. I have been asked to take on some other tasks elsewhere. I feel that it is not proper to try to divide my time and not be able to do either task its justice.

For anyone who decides to run for DL, I wish each of you the very best and good luck in the race.

With Unquestioned Loyalty,

Tom Gardner

TK5940 "RogueTrooper"

Detachment Leader

gallery_14191_42_21102.png

Just a quick recap of DECEMBER's activity:

Centurion Awards: 5 (total 74)

Expert Infantry Awards: 13 (total 295) + 3 (TK-11038 did 4!)

Fire Team Tally: 11 total, 0 new

Attachè Tally: 3 new

Newest Attachès: "gmrhodes13" TK-85421 (Glen, Terror Australis), "Vader Rocks" TK-32380 (Jim, Bloodfin Garrison), "svache" TK-80866 (Jeroen, Pacific Outpost)

What's an Attachè? Someone in your garrison who represents FISD with the friendly "Troopers Helping Troopers" spirit! Is that you? Volunteer today!

New member registrations: 105

Active members in forums: 242 new topics and 3968 posts

Reported Field Exercises: 26

Check here to experience them all!

Twitter Followers as of 12/31: 588

Facebook Followers as of 12/31: 1533

Do you know of people in your garrison who don't regularly visit whitearmor.net, but might benefit from the FISD and Legion updates, as well as tips and some community-oriented fun? Invite them follow us on Twitter or Facebook.

Ingrid Moon

TK-6818 "LadyInWhite"

Public Relations Officer

gallery_14191_42_18856.png

This month's newsletter tip comes from SIMpixels and is all about holding your biceps in positon. Some do not need to do this as their biceps fit snuggly but for those of you who have biceps that like to walk up and down your arms here is a tip for you.

Simon writes:

Start with a 22x90mm offcut of 2mm ABS, shape the corners to make them less likely to give you yet another armor bite, mark and file the grooves to help with the bending. Warm with a cigarette lighter or heat gun slightly, one bend at a time, pressing it against a flat surface until you have the shape needed. Sand smooth and glue in place.

Done.

26B0506C-2CB7-46DD-8C0B-D704A3F39F8B-11808-00000BB9A93D739B_zps0bafeacd.jpg

Glen Rhodes

TK-85421 gmrhodes13

Imperial Attaché

gallery_15432_42_7397.jpg

Ah, welcome, 2013! So far the universe has endeavored to throw me a broken finger, then un-break it (don't ask), turn my sunny La-La Land (So Calif) into something resembling Winter (brrr), and a few other minor travesties. But I am an elite Stormtrooper! Bring it on!

ELECTION ALERT

501st Legion Elections are coming up, in case you haven't quite realized what time of year it is, or if you're a relatively new TK. Unlike our emergency detachment elections last Fall, this is the real deal: You'll be voting for your Garrison officers, your Legion officers, and the Officers for all the detachments you officially belong to.

The election process has a few steps, and I'm sure they'll be outlining them on the web site soon, but my understanding is that the process begins at the beginning of February and office begins March 1, 2013 for the following 12 months. Meanwhile here is a big announcement. Be a good trooper and VOTE! That means making sure your 501st Legion profile is up to date, including detachment settings!

RESOLUTIONS ABOUND

There are those who make new year resolutions and those who don't... In any case I put up a 2013 Challenge so we can help, admire, and support one another's goals for the year. For some it's losing a little weight to fit that TK better, and for others it's a long list of new costumes. Look through and add your thoughts. There is proof that writing goals down makes it more likely you'll achieve them.

If I have the good fortune of continuing this post of Public Relations Officer for our beloved FISD, my plan is to check in on some of the troopers who have posted interesting resolutions and see how they're doing. They'll then get a boost of support from our community. Happy all around, that's how I roll.

HOW FX IS LIKE A USED CAR

Last but not least, I had a thought about those TKs who love their FX armor and lids, and why, despite so many great options, they like what they already have. I began to understand this feeling when I realized how attached I am to my 1999 Honda CR-V. Some people prefer to lease a shiny new car every 2-3 years, but my car and I have some very memorable adventures behind us and ahead of us, and I simply can't give it up.

Three new model upgrades and better engines have since passed me by, and yet with 193,000 miles, even after being rear-ended twice, a non-working clock, the occasional electrical short in my dome light (when turning left), and a new transmission, I would not give up my car for a new one if YOU paid ME to do it.

gallery_15432_43_45243.jpg

Sure, I would look more modern, get better mileage, save in gas money, and could even get a shiny white one. However, I would be giving up invaluable interior volume, a driver seat that is already form-fit to my bum, a lot of "knowns," and the pride I get for continuing to own and drive my old "red dog" as the original owner. "It was good enough then, and it's good enough now" pretty much sums up how I feel about my car. I will drive it into the ground.

Now that I have put myself in the headspace of the FX guys, many of whom have been trooping for longer than I have known the 501st exists, I feel less inclined to pressure them. I'm not saying I don't very much prefer a new lid over the FX lid, and wish they'd all upgrade at least that part - I'm simply saying "I get it." So no pressure, guys. You are TKs, too, and part of our community if you still want to be. I'll continue to provide and evangelize the options, but you are free to drive your old car into the ground right beside mine. As long as it's white.

Everyone, of all armor types: ENJOY YOUR NEW YEAR!

Ingrid Moon

TK-6818 "LadyInWhite"

Public Relations Officer

gallery_14191_42_9464.png

While bearing news about the Trooper of the Month is usually a happy occasion for most to write up, I do have to say it is with mixed feelings now that I am writing this.

This month’s winner is TK-5707, Ed or Edwin in real life, husband of Femtrooper Julie and member of the Pacific Outpost. Or better yet I should say: ex-member of the Pacific Outpost. Thing is, they are being reassigned to the MidSouth Garrison in Tennessee.

gallery_15432_43_95883.jpg

Personally I have never met anyone as open and friendly as Edwin (and Julie likewise). He would invite people over that were complete strangers but that shared an interest in the 501st to hang out and talk about the 501st and while they were over, it was not uncommon to fire up the grill and have them stay for dinner as well. He made you truly feel at home. If there was a trooper from another island (or even troopers from out of state) that needed a place to stay while here in Hawaii, they had a bed available. When troopers from out of state visited, they would often make time and take them out for a drink or dinner, most often to the local Hooters restaurant. I don’t think I need to tell you why, of course ;)

Whenever he had time, and even when he couldn’t be around, he would open up his house for armor parties. If you did not have a license or car, he would pick you up and bring you home again, even if that meant a 20 mile drive. He worked two jobs, and still made time in between those jobs to talk to you, to help you out, or to be at his place to do some fixes on your armor before he had to start his second job.

Ed is the kind of guy that gave me his prized TE2 armor for a day so I could troop along while waiting for my own armor. It could easily happen that if you were working on something that he would ask you if you had a certain tool and that he would just give it to you, no strings attached. It is how I ended up owning my own Dremel, he gave me his simply because I did not yet own one. He even went so far one time to actually give another trooper his AM armor to be able to troop as a TK.

There are numerous examples to name why Edwin became Trooper of the Month. We talk about "Troopers helping Troopers" on FISD and Edwin (and Julie likewise) is the perfect example of a trooper helping others!

For them to trade sunny Hawaii for Tennessee is a huge loss for the Pacific Outpost and a big gain for the MidSouth Garrison.

Edwin, congratulations on becoming Trooper of the Month, and from the whole detachment we say: Mahalo nui loa no kokua. A hui hou kakou malama pono! (Thank you very much for all of your selfless help. Take care and until we meet again.) We will miss you!

Jeroen Joosten

TK-80866 "svache"

Imperial Attaché

gallery_14191_42_24507.png

It has definitely been a slow month for trooping! I can imagine all you TKs are as eager to get back into that shiny white plastic as much as I am!

I have the honor of writing up Troop of the Month and I am pleased to announce that Oregon’s Cloud City Garrison annual Salvation Army bell ringing troop is it!

You can check out the insightful and amusing narrative, written by the Hawaiian native (who made a cameo at the CCG’s troop) right here.

There were some very well done holiday-inspired costumes, complete with candy cane blasters, mistletoe, Santa hats, a jet pack wreath and even a bright red under suit.

So let’s give the amazing folks of CCG and one very chilly Eric a solid pat on the back for their efforts to bring smiles to faces and working their plastic-covered butts off for charity! :D

gallery_15432_43_25667.jpg

gallery_15432_43_65034.jpg

Way to go, guys, you deserve it!

Andrea

TK-6093 "Pickles"

Imperial Attaché

(And for the funniest Troop of the Month, click here!)

gallery_14191_42_4765.png

Our forum website saw a handful of really minor changes in December that most members may not have noticed. Most notable is the addition of a slider with recent photo gallery images on the main home page. Colors were tweaked in the 2012 skin as well.

The main menu tabs changed too. We added an "About FISD" section that includes our mission statement, a list of current FISD staff, and an all-new FAQ written by our DL, Tom. A blog-like "News" page was created to archive our newsletters.

You may also notice a new FISD award under some people's name when they post. Anytime one of your posts is promoted to become an official tutorial you get a contributor badge.

contribution_award1.png

In lieu of my usual boring web traffic stats, here is a list of the top 10 web searches people used to get to the forums in the month of December:

1. whitearmor.net
  2. fisd
  3. tk boots
  4. fisd forum
  5. e-11 blaster scope
  6. www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/47-detachment-merch/
  7. 501st legion mp3 loop tk
  8. e11 stormtrooper holster
  9. stormtrooper inner drop boxes
  10. e11 doopydoos selector switch
  11. e-11 blaster resin kit
  12. t21 blaster rifle
  13. stormtrooper commander
  14. http://forum.whitearmor.net/
  15. fett esb reference gallery
  16. victoria bc stormtrooper
  17. aker amp speaker modification
  18. stormtrooper forearm strip size?
  19. white armor
  20. how to make stormtrooper mic tips

More additions are in the works. Keep an eye on the menu bar in January.

With Aloha and Unquestioned Loyalty

Eric Brager

"Darth Aloha"

TK-9674

Chief Tactical Officer

gallery_14191_42_7527.png

Show off your FISD Pride with these awesome detachment-related items.

And other great stuff just awaiting your feedback and declaration of interest!

Ingrid Moon

TK-6818 "LadyInWhite"

Public Relations Officer

gallery_15432_42_5952.jpg

Troopers Share Your Stories or Experiences

For those of you interested in telling your stories, experiences, or just reading others', have a look at this thread. There are some very interesting stories from the perspective of Stormtroopers already on there. Did you know you the TKs on the first Death Star were ordered to miss Han and Chewie? Of course they were... "They let us get away."

And completely off topic, in case you haven't heard yet: The White House is NOT building a Death Star. So we TKs are stuck here on this planet until further notice. See the funny, actual reply on Gizmodo.

Glen Rhodes

TK-85421 "gmrhodes13"

Imperial Attaché

Don't Forget We're on Facebook and Twitter!

Facebook: www.facebook.com/whitearmor

Now with "tip of the week" and other ongoing discussions. If you're on FB, stop by and say hi, ask questions, and share stories!

Twitter: www.twitter.com/FISD501st or @FISD501st

From crazy TK merch findings to minute-by-minute Death Star climate control updates, follow FISD on Twitter!

With Unquestioned Loyalty Ringing In the New Year,

Ingrid Moon

TK-6818 “LadyInWhiteâ€

Public Relations Officer

On behalf of the 1st Imperial Stormtrooper Detachment Command Staff.

End Transmission.

This post has been promoted to an article

I look forward to the newsletter every month. Thanks guys!

Tom - Sorry to see you go, sir. Thanks for all of your help in getting the projects rolling that I wanted to do. Soon I will get relocated to the Ohio Garrison and I will get those projects rolling again!

We're only 2 short for 300 EIB? Even though I'm working on a fresh AP build for Centurion, I think this motivates me to go ahead and submit my current suit for EIB just to help momentum....

Great read and info. Thanks guys!

Great Newsletter everybody. :) Congrats to Edwin and Julie!

You're closer to me now.

Congrats to the Cloud City Garrison, way to go!

Troy, you'll make an awesome 299 EIB award winner. :)

We're only 2 short for 300 EIB? Even though I'm working on a fresh AP build for Centurion, I think this motivates me to go ahead and submit my current suit for EIB just to help momentum....

Get to da choppa!