2008 Detachment (and 501st) Elections

Daetrin

On January 1st (00:01:01 EST [GMT -5]), the 2008 elections for all elected offices in the Legion will begin. First, you must be registered on the 501st Legion forums to nominate officers and to vote - EVEN IN YOUR LOCAL ELECTIONS. If you are not registered already, please visit www.501stforums.com and sign up with the e-mail address you provided to your GML at the time of the last census.

In the menu on the left side, you will see a link to the 2008 elections area:

http://www.501stforums.com/elections2008/

From there, you may submit nominations for the offices of the groups you belong to. Each nominee, that nominee's unit leader, and Legion Command staff will receive an e-mail to notify them of the nomination. Each nominee will need to be seconded before being placed on the ballot. The nominee may then accept or decline the nomination. NOTE: if your current CO intends to run for office again, he or she should be nominated and seconded, even if there is no apparent challenger!

Note also that nominations can be accepted or declined before a second is received, but the acceptance will not count until there is a second. A declined nomination will be effective immediately.

All nominations are anonymous. No one will know who nominated whom through this utility.

Once the nomination period ends (January 15, 2008 at 23:59:59, EST [GMT -5]), each Garrison, Outpost, Squad, and Detachment will be responsible for conducting the question-and-answer period on their OWN FORUMS. Candidates for Legion Commanding Officer will have their Q&A session conducted on the Legion forum as usual.

(Please note that the office of Merchandise & Branding Officer is NO LONGER AN ELECTED POSITION according to a recent Charter amendment)

Voting will begin on February 1, 2008, 00:01:00 EST. The ballot will be presented to each member through the Legion forum, and will be the only vote considered valid. Voting will end February 14, 2008 at 23:59:59 EST.

A summary:

- Submit anonymous nominations through the Legion forum (January 1, 00:01:00 EST - January 15, 23:59:59 EST).

- Second, accept, and decline nominations from the Legion forum (before January 15, 23:59:59 EST).

- Garrisons, Outposts, Squads, and Detachment create special areas for questions from members to candidates (January 16, 00:00:00 EST - January 31, 23:59:59 EST).

- Vote at the Legion forum (beginning February 1, 00:01:00 EST).

If you do not see a unit listed that you believe you are a member of (for example, Detachments), please send that unit leader an e-mail requesting access, with a copy to Legion Data Droid Darren Blum (501st@blums.net).

Submit all other questions, comments, and concerns to the Legion Captain of the Guard (crimson@omegawing.net)."

Thank you for those that nominated me for the 2008 election. For the record, I am not pursuing another term as DL for FISD.

I highly recommend and encourage everyone to support Paul Hoeffer (FISD id: Daetrin / legion ID: 8020) in his campaign for 2008. Paul not only founded FISD but was our first DL. I can think of no one better to lead FISD into 2008 and beyond as we continue to grow and evolve.

Thank you and Happy New Year.

Thanks so much Ed, but I've decided to decline my nomination. Partially due to commitments at my new job and home, but also because I think that it's time to pass the leadership baton to someone new. Being a DL - especially of such a large detachment - while it seems like it's easy is actually quite a bit of work and takes up a good chunk of time to do effectively.

I think the detachment would be best served by someone who can commit to the position, which is just something I can't do right now. Thanks to everyone who's requested I run again for your support, and best wishes to the new DL. :)

I'll have to think about this. I'm already up for MEPD DL, and I was even nominated for Legion CO, which I respectfully declined. Make no mistake, these kind of leadership roles do require a lot of time and responsibility, not to mention a lot of technical know-how when it comes to working with the web sites, forums, etc. and finding folks who can assist with such tasks.

I'm also a Forum admin of another Clone-centric forum, as well as my Garrison's forum. :wacko:

Hey yall... You are Great leaders. Coming from "real" military i see leaders everyday. Carry on smartly. Do what you do.

I am running for Japanese CO, and will toss my hat in here, but you guys are class. I hope to be as good as you all.

Thanks.

Hey yall... You are Great leaders. Coming from "real" military i see leaders everyday. Carry on smartly. Do what you do.

I am running for Japanese CO, but you guys are class. I hope to be as good as you all.

Thanks.

I can only hope to achieve that kind of stern, military-like leadership that gets results. It has it's pros and cons, but I never want to see any detachment become paramilitary. It's just unnecessary. But, my grandfather is a retired Major General (2 stars), so you could say I have something to live up to.

I've gotten several queries as to what a DL does. Please read this thread here for my views on this subject:

http://www.501stforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=292533

And like Mike Harrison noted above, this takes a lot of time. You must have the ability to be online nearly 24x7 and not have any personal requirements that will take you out of net access.

Personally, my wife and I are expecting our second child so I know this year will be tough for me to fulfill the job duties of DL, so I'm stepping aside.

Candidates: please remember the time required to be in this 501st job function. If you have commitments (personal, job, service) that will limit your FISD time (during the day, week, year) seriously reconsider running for DL.

[steps on Podium]

You are all right about it being alot of work, and I just have WAY to much stuff on my plate, so I want to thank those people who nominated me "you are too kind" :salute::trooper: , but after full consideration over the past few days, I've decided to decline my nomination for reasons of, if I can foresee me not giving you all my 100% which you truly deserve and more!, then I just can't commit to the position.

[steps off Podium] :)

• 2 weeks later...

The three candidates are:

TK 1787 - Terrell Reber (SuperTrooper)

TK 8151 - James Peternel (Kiyote)

TK 9135 - Nathan Bantz (Runnriottt)

Nominations are now closed. Discussion is open in the detachment members only area.

• 5 weeks later...

Congrats Terrell, Great Race and I thought a good debate session. You and I have alot of the same Views, so falling back in ranks and following you as a DL will be no problem.

Thanks for all that voted, and those that voted for me.

So what is our first marching order Sir!!! :lol: