Ralph McQuarrie's Concept Stormtrooper "Armor"

kwdesigns

Steve I believe that is just part of the buck .The yoke will Not run that far down on the back .Follow the lines in the mould around the shoulder area ,it will be open at the back so you can slide it on around your neck  holding the chest and back. 

Arh I see mate, part of the buck that makes sense , I thought that detail matched the end off the forearms ;)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

So I thought I would make a list of the parts and how far I am with the progress.

Chest (Done)

Back (Done)

Yoke (Done) Just need to do a test pull to make sure all is good.

Chest & Back Side Connectors (0%) (easy after Chest and back are completed)

Ab section (Done)

Kidney Section (50%)

Belt (front-back) (50%)

Belt Amo Boxes (20%)

Cod (Done)

Butt (Done)

Thighs (95%)

Lower Legs (Done)

Shoulder Bells (Done)

Biceps (Done)

Forearms (Done)

Handbacks (0%)

After CE, I plan on making my own interpretation of RMQ helmet. I might make both style helmets and then later I might make the Backpack.

Kevin W.

Edited by kwdesigns

It's gratafing to me also to be able to list them as Done.

I'm thinking about making the Ab plate and Kidney plates assemnle more like the TKs and not making them need to glue on the sides and then made seamless. This will allow for better fitting various sized midsections. Also will make it easier to pack in a smaller bin.

Kevin W.

Edited by kwdesigns

Well ,mate as you have put the panel detailing in the front Ab section blending out to the back kidney this would be 100% feasible and will not detract from the look of the suit.The TK style is tried and tested and having them free from each other would allow the suit to move with the wearer .  

So this shows the recessed areas in the Chest and Back for the Yoke to sit in. The round indent are for magnets to help hold the Yoke down and in place. There will also be velcro at the top of the Harness to help hold all 3 parts in place.

photo-395_zps03f8ce75.jpg.abcc34d8d752bb1494a55d86729c42d4.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated

amazing progress!

for safety sake couldn't the yoke be made out of formed abs and latex rubber for the actual neck ring part?

how many different sized necks will this be able to fit?

This is going to feel soooooooooo wonderful , being interlocked in to this costume just like C3PO In certain places ;)

Outstanding Kevin :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

@ Stukatrooper- Yes there will be a overlap area for the back neckring/yoke. I need to clean that up a bit.

@ TK Bondservnt 2392 - few pages back yes we did talk about that idea. As for now they will be vac-formed and the ability to pop the yoke off with magnets will have to do.

The size of the neck ring is not going to be the issue. I did make it slightly larger than to scale with the chest and the back because a Harness system will be available with the soft neckseal sewn to it and that will go higher up and better protect the neck. I made sure that the bottom opening of SGB helmet fits over the armor neckring, even though I plan to make my own helmet soon.  

These are what the Belt Boxes look like.

RMQCenterBox_zps3879e097.jpg.68cf14694289f2d889ca726930e16316.jpg

Kevin W.

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated

Thank you Kevin , i agree with the white led  just somthing about it ;)

Ohh yes i have not forgot about your Snail mail ;) will be sending next week Kevin :)

As for attaching the Belt Boxes I recommended getting some these.

photo-403_zps87913293.jpg.1e78987d527b3507c8b200feec566d6a.jpg

Size - Name

10-32 Threaded T-Nuts

10-32 x 1/2 Flat Philip Machine Screws

#8 Finish Washer

You will need at lest 6 (one for each belt box) This will allow you to remove them for ease of packing the armor in a bin. I think using some velcro will help keep them from turning.

I would also get 2 more sets of T-Nuts to use to attach the Thermal Detonator.

These are the round adhesive velcro "Dots" I would use behind the belt boxes.

Most importantly you should use these on the Yoke in the front center area. You will not want to use a magnet in the front center because the Harness will have a pocket directly behind that area. So if you ever plan to put a Credit Card or Speaker AMP in the pocket the magnet can ruin it.

And these are the magnets to use on the other areas on the Yoke.

Rare earth Magnets Disc 3/4 diameter x 1/32" thick.

Kevin W.

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated

Kevin thank you for that info on attaching the belt boxes ;0), what i would like to ask will there be some sort of attachment on the belt for the Lazer Swords there is a D-ring that slides out at the bottom of the Lazer Swords and yes the blades are detachable and will look really cool just hanging from the belt :)  

I was thinking that the Lazer Sword handle would rest between the raised areas on this side amo belt box. I think adding a hook between to hold it would work great.

I don't image the hook being on the belt like Jedi. I think using this amo box for the Laser Sword, visually makes sense to me.

photo-404_zpse10d2871.jpg.ed7788d10185927fea4361fcfdb83919.jpg

Kevin W.

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated