Ralph McQuarrie's Concept Stormtrooper "Armor"

kwdesigns

I've recommended to Eric that everyone who was part of this get an FISD Achievement Medal for bringing to life this costume, as it really is a singular achievement who's impact is hard to over-state.

Done. Congrats to Pete, Billy, Steve, Gary and Kev on their FISD Achievement Award.

Aloha,

-Eric

- Debate the subject with the LMO team and determine the eligibility of concept characters in the 501st.

- Assemble, and present to the legion council, the the rules/ regulations that actually support their acceptance.

- Grant their acceptance.

- Formulate the rules surrounding the acceptance of future concepts.

- Type and add announcement to website.

- Create a CRL.

- Photoshop individual costume compponent images.

- Start large discussion with the DL's on the possible legion wide rippling effects of granting an "MQ" designation.

- Collect what little info there is to start typing up the CRL itself.

- Work with Celebrity Liaison to send photos to McQuarrie Estate.

- Spend over two months working on subject.

- Fix the word "black" so 2392 will not go on rant. ;)

In all lightheartedness...  I did say the CRL was bare bones.

I'll finish, and put online, the photoshop work I am doing right now (The upper header images) and erase the remnants left over in the CRL.

But, in all honesty, I have a ton of other work to acomplish legion wide, so I will have to move on after I get a determination from the Legion Celebrity Liaison about the photos.

When the time comes that there is a CRL typed and ready, and the images are ready to go online, I will be eagerly awaiting them.   

Gary and Paul,

You are very much welcome.

As noted - the LMO just got up a skeleton and the language says it's not complete. That's pretty common for many of the CRL's out there - they are in a WIP state. So, rather than debating what should happen, let's all work to move this process forward. We're far more effective as a team.

While the wording is being worked out, perhaps one of the RMQ TK crew can start getting photos taken so we can process them. That's usually the most time consuming part of the CRL. Getting the text done is actually pretty fast.

• 1 month later...

So I took some pics of my RMQ Armor parts in hopes they can help with the CRL.

You can see more of my pics here...

http://s149.photobucket.com/user/kwdesigns2/library/RMQ%20Concept%20501st%20Sub%20Pics?sort=2&page=1

2013-07-18102840_zpsad152dde.jpg.cf7e4652ec3ffbd80dbc348aabf1fcb8.jpg

HELMET:

I forgot to take a pics of the helmet.

Painted Glossy White (Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch Ultra Cover 2X Gloss White) with correct making panted or decals. Also the Frown and Teeth painted Gray. (Humor #5)

Eye Lens Dark Green or Gray/Black.

Aerators White. Can add a Screen for improving the look.

Can add a rubber 'U' channel Rubber trim to the bottom neck opening. White or Black

NECK SEAL:

Ribbed, Smooth or Balaclava: Color- Gray to match under armor or Black

UNDER SUIT:

Must be Gray (Charcoal- Heather Gray)

(Nike Pro Under Armor)

NO SHOULDER STRAPS!

YOKE:

It bridges the Back and Chest together and also has a hard neck ring connected. Painted Glossy White to match the Armor and Helmet. Should lay down flat to match the Back and Chest.

SHOULDER BELLS:

Painted Glossy White (Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch Ultra Cover 2X Gloss White) with correct making panted or decals.

BICEPS:

Assembled with a seamless joints on all sides. Painted Glossy White (Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch Ultra Cover 2X Gloss White)

FOREARMS:

Assembled with a seamless joints on all sides. Painted Glossy White (Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch Ultra Cover 2X Gloss White)

Hand Plates:

Painted Glossy White (Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch Ultra Cover 2X Gloss White)

GLOVES:

Gray in color to match the Under Armor. Form fitting gloves

CHEST:

It is best to have the Yoke glued to the upper section of the Chest.

BACK:

Back half of hard neck ring connected. Painted Glossy White (Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch Ultra Cover 2X Gloss White)

Glue on Side Connecting Plates and paint the gap Gray (Humor #5). Leave the Raised Rectangle White.

Glue on both sides of the 2 Trapezoid shapes with them recessed towards the inside. Paint the inside of the Trapezoid Gray (Humor #5).

You can add a Red small Triangle to the upper center on back side.

ABDOMEN PLATE:

Inner section of Round button painted Gray (Humor #5).

Connects to Kidney Plate with Gray elastic. Glue in a piece of ABS with a snap connected to it. A false Split Rivets is use on the sides though the glued on ABS Tab with snap. One near the top and one near the bottom on each side.

KIDNEY PLATE:

Connects to Ab Plate with Gray elastic. Split Rivets use on the sides to hold the elastic end. One near the top and one near the bottom on each side.

The elastic strap has a snap on the other end to snap to the Ab Plate.

BUTT PLATE:

Connects to the Kidney with 4 Gray elastic straps. Has 2 Snaps at the underneath for the Cod to snap to.

COD PLATE:

Connects to the inside of the Belt with 2 Gray elastic straps. Has 1 Split Rivet underneath to hold the Gray elastic strap that connects to the Butt Plate.

BELT:

Has a total of 6 AMO boxes and Thermal Detonator attached. Bolts on to Ab & Kidney when AMO Boxes and TD is attached.

Front:

Back:

AMO BOXES:

6 Different Styles AMO Boxes. T-Nuts are added before assemble to be able to attach to the Belt. Assembled Seamless on edges of front and back parts.

An Elbowed Zerk Fitting can be added to the top of the Right side AMO box to hang your Lazer Sward Hilt.

The Front Right AMO Box should have small indented rectangles cut out of the overlapping box before assembly. The inner portion of that area should be painted Gray (Humor #5).

THERMAL DETONATOR:

Round Tube 4" long and Large Ribbed End caps Painted Glossy White (Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch Ultra Cover 2X Gloss White).

Inner Dome Caps Painted Gray (Humor #5)

Options- Attach Rectangle Plate with 3 round raised dots. You can cut out the small rectangle and glue it on outside of TD or cut out that small size of a rectangle in your TD tube and glue the Rectangle Plate on the inside of the tube.

Front:

Sides:

Back:

THIGHS:

Front:

Back:

LOWER LEGS:

Assembled with a seamless joints on on the front with using the Shin Connector on the inside. Back of legs opens clam shell style with the out side overlapping the inside. The inside legs have the creased detail running from front of shin to the back of calf. The Outside leg has the detail creas only from the front and stop mid way. Painted Glossy White (Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch Ultra Cover 2X Gloss White)

BOOTS:

White Smooth Leather to match the color or armor.

Ankle high with TK style soles low heel or Low profile shoes with flat soles.

LASER SWORD:

Old Vintage Flashlight modified.

Optional- Hilt or with working Light

HOLSTER:

Optional- Small to hold hand held Pistol. 

Kevin W.

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated

Kevin - you are the canonical RMQ trooper. I hope we use you for the CRL images, and even more I think LFL should use you for promotions. Wow, but you bring that costume to life. :salute:

We just trooped the armour at a big London con. The response was phenomenal!

Lots if love for the MQ!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

We just trooped the armour at a big London con. The response was phenomenal!

Lots if love for the MQ!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Sure was matey, totally blew everyone away :)

.....and here's a little something from the weekend featuring me and Steve Weir

I call this one......'The Creators'...... B)

936001_748615421830554_413889718_n.jpg

....'nuff said

• 3 weeks later...

Not much of the wording has been worked on. Only a few pictures have been added over a normal TK layout. It takes time to photoshop out the parts and it will take more time to get the wording just right.

Kevin W.

• 3 weeks later...

I just read the FISD News Letter and I guess with the MQ armor now being a 501st approved costume we need to move this thread out of the non 501st approved section.

Thanks you to all involved on the news letter and continuous support.

Kevin W.

I plan to sculpt this version of RMQ's helmet. "The big Mouth!" My first attempt will be to try to see if I can do a vac-formed version.

RMQHelmets_zps472a6f57.jpg.029131752f3d599c685ed440af33b520.jpg

Kevin W.

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated

I just read the FISD News Letter and I guess with the MQ armor now being a 501st approved costume we need to move this thread out of the non 501st approved section.

Kevin W.

Good call ;)

Can't wait to see what you come up with when you start on the helmet!

Kevin W.

Good point Kevin! This thread has been moved to the new Concept Armor forum. I'll add link to the CRL on the side of the main page as soon as I remember how.

Aloha, 

-Eric