Ralph McQuarrie's Concept Stormtrooper "Armor"

kwdesigns

The suits were straight from the moulds ,boxed ,shipped ,built and trooped within three weeks .These are the prototype suits and off the back of the CE2 debut alterations will be made. The shins is an easy fix by trimming more off the closure at the back. The other part that will be moulded again will be the shoulder bells, being made a little bigger. All other parts fitted and worked together perfectly master class in costume building by Kevin.

Thanks to Stephen, Peter, Gary, Billy and especially Kevin for allowing me to be part of this fantastic reveal and debut. It was an honor and a privilege trooping along side you guys - this has to have been the most memorable Celebration for me yet - until we are all together again with even more RMQ Concept Stormtroopers at Celebration Anaheim!

-jono

Jon Farmer

CX6834

On 8/3/2013 at 11:32 PM, Stormy320 said:

This is really great.  Some constructive criticism.  The thighs and ankles are too big / wide.  The armor would look cleaner and streamline with thinner legs.

On 8/4/2013 at 10:05 PM, stukatrooper said:

The suits were straight from the moulds ,boxed ,shipped ,built and trooped within three weeks .These are the prototype suits and off the back of the CE2 debut alterations will be made. The shins is an easy fix by trimming more off the closure at the back. The other part that will be moulded again will be the shoulder bells, being made a little bigger. All other parts fitted and worked together perfectly master class in costume building by Kevin.

+1 B)

From a gem of an idea to reality, and still to some it's not good enough http://i405.photobucket.com/albums/pp139/Billhag/GIFS/rolleyes.gif

To ALL those who have shown appreciation, and to my fellow McQuarrieans I salute you :salute:

Now back to the COOL-NESS!! http://i405.photobucket.com/albums/pp139/Billhag/GIFS/shades.gif

ThisismyLaserSword04_zps8967f83a.jpg.de92e294a17ac942eb6f3b60a22a051a.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated

Thanks to Stephen, Peter, Gary, Billy and especially Kevin for allowing me to be part of this fantastic reveal and debut. It was an honor and a privilege trooping along side you guys - this has to have been the most memorable Celebration for me yet - until we are all together again with even more RMQ Concept Stormtroopers at Celebration Anaheim!

-jono

Jon Farmer

CX6834

It was awesome that you wore it to SCC last weekend - look forward to trooping with you again soon!

Yes indeed they are SGB helmets , but please be aware to wait a long time for your helmet if ordered direct !

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

This is really great.  Some constructive criticism.  The thighs and ankles are too big / wide.  The armor would look cleaner and streamline with thinner legs.

Hi Jason. Thank you very much for adding some constructive criticism about the thighs and lower legs.

In truth I though long a hard about all the parts while I was sculpting them. I was thinking the same thing you were about the lower legs. But, I watched and read as many interviews of RMQ as possible to get a better understanding of what he wanted these characters to look like. And when I looked at the different sketches of RMQ, I saw the lower legs as having "Cancels" they were as wide as the thighs and looked a lot like boots. They were not narrow like the what ended up on film. I had to realize that it was back in the 1970's when he was coming up with the look. And as for the Thighs we kind of followed the action figure and thought having the back of the thighs carry over the butt plate when walking made the most sense. This was also a theme we see with C3PO.

I had a wonderful privilege to meet Paul B. while I was at CE. He worked with RMQ the last 10 years of his life and I would say knows him better than anyone. He told me that the concept Stormtrooper was explained to Ralph by Mr. Lucas as "something scary like a skeleton".

I was quite humbled and felt gratitude when Paul then told me I "Nailed it' The armor was amazing and RMQ would have been proud of it.

Kevin W.

Edited by kwdesigns

love the input!

can I have a detailed helmet description from you kevin?  I want to know more?

I'm sorry it is not my place to critique his work.

SGB made the helmet back in 2009. So I'm sure you can find all kinds of info about it. It is also listed up on SW Helmets.com.

I am very grateful that he made this helmet and without it we would not have been able to debut the RMQ armor at CE.

You can still place an order with him but he is going through some tough personal times and receiving your order might take a bit of time.

Other options will be available soon. I spoke with the man in charge at efx. He told me they are planning to release their RMQ helmet in Spring. 

I will be sculpting the other version that looks similar and also the one with the large oval mouth. I just got word that another person is planning on sculpting one of the RMQ concept design helmets.

Kevin W.

You all got the news first hand guys , Two helmets direct from the maker of this plastic fantastic suit.  The suit is also going through the process of becoming a 501st approved costume, As the costume is 100% new their is a lot of work needed to make this happen. 501st staff and members are crossing the T's and dotting the I's to embrace the concept . 

I'm sorry it is not my place to critique his work.

SGB made the helmet back in 2009. So I'm sure you can find all kinds of info about it. It is also listed up on SW Helmets.com.

I am very grateful that he made this helmet and without it we would not have been able to debut the RMQ armor at CE.

You can still place an order with him but he is going through some tough personal times and receiving your order might take a bit of time.

Other options will be available soon. I spoke with the man in charge at efx. He told me they are planning to release their RMQ helmet in Spring. 

I will be sculpting the other version that looks similar and also the one with the large oval mouth. I just got word that another person is planning on sculpting one of the RMQ concept design helmets.

Kevin W.

great info! thanks!

I wanted to make a post to let everyone know I have started a new forum www.rmqconceptcrew.com for all Ralph McQuarrie's Concept Characters that could potentially become 501st approved.

The Purpose of RMQ Concept Crew is to have a place for all like-minded who want to carry out the respect and love of Ralph McQuarrie's vision of the Star Wars Universe and bring it to life by making/wearing the costumes in remembrance of him.

FISD will always be the birth place for the RMQ Concept Stormtrooper but now RMQCC can be the place for it to grow along with many other RMQ Concept Characters.

I look forward to the day that this RMQ armor can be 501st approved with the ID letters as "MQ" to pay tribute to McQuarrie. As I would love to be "MQ-0812"

My end goal would be to have RMQCC recognized and become a 501st approved detachment.

Kevin W.

Edited by kwdesigns

I love the look of this project... from start to finish the RMQCC is a stellar work and I applaud the detachment idea wholeheartedly!

AMAZING WORK!

BRAVO!

Ok, without being flamed too much, I am curious as to why we think that these "concept" suits are approvable for the Legion?  They were just "concept", right, and only appeared in his artwork...  I am not an expert in this, so I am not trying to be negative, simply curious.  Thoughts?

Oh, I forgot to add that I think they are spectacular and look just like the artwork.. It is amazing work!

Edited by southsidetrooper

Are they any less of a part of the star wars universe than the expanded universe? Having trooped this in Essen I can speak first hand as to the recognition and the effect they had. Steve Sansweet personally asked to see us and was awestruck and paid us nothing but compliments about our achievement.

The RMQ universe already boasts toys and statues amongst its merchandise and sells well.

Ultimately what makes it a part of the Star Wars is all of us and our love of everything, well almost everything, Star Wars.

Star Wars started as an idea we just made one of the ideas a reality.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I think the flip of your question is my thought Steve.

Why wouldn't they be? We have a ton of costumes in the Legion that have never appeared in anything except video games, books, or comics. They were all based on drawings made by the artists, so the RMQ is no different. He did a good number of drawings on the different suits pre-production and there has been several other source materials over the years from figures like gentle giant, koto, sideshow. There is enough source material to make a CRL based on it, and it is the Star Wars Universe... Maybe the expanded Universe, but still in Star Wars.

I guess my point is that the EU and all of the approved costumes that do not appear in a movie have storylines and actual characters for them.  These costumes were concept art,  for the original trilogy.  They were evolved into what we know as the stormtroopers and other characters.  So they never actually appeared in a movie, tv show, comic, video game, book, etc, in this form.  I'm not saying that they should or shouldn't be, that isn't for me to decide. Of course, I know that there is much more data about the McQuarrie versions, including Hasbro and Gentle Giant reference material, but again, all of that is derived from this "concept" art, and not actual characters.  

I'm not saying that I'm right, or wrong, this is strictly my opinion.  I could live with them being in or out, I guess the reason that I brought it up in the first place was to get people's opinions on why they think that they should or should not be approved as Legion costumes.  

Side note, I don't want anyone to confuse what I am saying with me poo-poo-ing on the amazing craftsmanship and work that went into the design and assembly of these costumes.  I think that they are amazing, and everyone did a fantastic job with them.  I know how much hard work goes into this stuff, and I don't want anyone to think that I am saying anything negative about the armor, work that went into the design, or anyone who chooses to wear the armor. 

The reserve pilot never existed as anything more than a card in the SW card game. Yet it is an approved costume even when it is more or less identical to imperial crewman.

• Like 1

Just had this sent to me by Pete Murphy who costumed as the Proto type Boba , the artist could not make CE but has based the photo's of us in to this Epic art work ;)

Enjoy

557104_153090391563075_1191517618_n_zps91c78203.thumb.jpg.b6edddc3bf1264c7a153ed95bd4139d4.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated