Ralph McQuarrie's Concept Stormtrooper "Armor"

kwdesigns

Wow damn.  I haven't been on FISD for a while and a few of my TK's said "have you seen what Kevin is working on..."  Amazing as ever Kevin.

I do have one question for FISD staff - do you guys intend to pursue making the McQ TK concept as a 501st approved costume?  Or will this be a treated as a nice addition to the FISD contributions to the costuming community.  Thanks!

Hey - that's me!

http://stickerobot.com/blog/die-cut-stickers/cool-custom-die-cut-star-wars-stickers/

I know we intend to get it cleared as a legitimate 501st costume. There are more than enough references to make this acceptable.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 2

You seem to be making excellent progress on the armour, Kevin.

I'm not sure if you're aware that Dark Horse comics will be releasing "The Star Wars" in September which is based on one of the early drafts of Star Wars. http://www.darkhorse.com/Blog/1349/lucasfilm-and-dark-horse-announce-star-wars

Some of the art reminds me of McQuarrie's concepts. Just wondering how the Stormtroopers will look...

@R5SB - I haven't seen that before. Thanks for sharing. It would be cool if they used something similar to RMQ Concept TK.

I have a bit more of an up-date...

photo-367_zps9f960626.jpg.73c4147f74f1a570024eccafc519dfd9.jpg

Here is the list of what is left for me to still do...

Finish back (Its about 90% done)

Yoke & Side Connectors (easy after Chest and back are completed)

Ab section

Kidney Section

Belt (front-back)

Belt Amo Boxes

Cod

Handbacks

Lower Legs

Kevin W.

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated

Those bells are looking rather tastey Kevin ;),really all starting to come together ,your work is pure craftmanship :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Yes  yes  yes  Shoulder bells spot on mate , Not over exaggerated like the GG bust .Looking at the list things are going in the right direction as far as time scale. I would think the lower legs ,ab and kidney would be the most time consuming of the remaining parts.

Great update Kevin thank you .   

More to show...

This process takes a lot more time and cost more money because this sculpt get trashed after words.. It's been a while sense I've worked with clay so the final mold will need some final clean up.2013-05-09204518_zpsfb8dec14.jpg.266af231efa34d385d8f3981c0b3ffc3.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated

Then apply silicone and some keys.2013-05-11082157_zpscfb4701f.jpg.1693b19cd63151f6d4eddef17dae0d3d.jpg

Now I can make the positive side vac-form-able mold.

I will add the raised rectangle to the ab section of the final mold.

Kevin W.

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated

Very nice Kevin, are the overall dimensions more or less of a TK abb plate minus the cod ; )

This RMQ Ab Plate is a little taller than normal TK's because the belt will sit lower and I left plenty of room for the top of the ab to sit under the chest for taller guys.

The base sculpt of clay was applied over a vac formed pull of my Season 4 ab plate. I heated up the top area of the ab plate and pushed it flatter.

Kevin W.

Edited by kwdesigns

Hard work and dedication Kevin by the bucket load.

can I ask what the cross hatch is ? I know its seen on the sandtrooper chest and it can be taken away for the TK version. Is that your thinking mate ?

fantastic shapes and its great seeing the creative process .

Thanks guys!!!

Adding in the cross hatch section was a last minute thought. I didn't like it too much. So I took it out.

I still have more clean up to do on the mold...

I've added tabs to the bottom of the Ab to snap the Belt in place. I also lowered the top edge of the ab a little bit.photo-374_zps42afd9c2.jpg.8c9e0c1ad5d090271911d1e5df95d951.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated

Very good thinking there Kevin on the added tabs for the belt to be attached , really loving the overall side shapes/detail ; ), so iam I right in thinking that the box thats on the front of the abb will be a added part as per the back plate detail ?

No the font ab box will be attached and be part of the same pull. I just didn't have it attached in the previous pics.

Here... you can see it now.

photo-376_zps45d57c7f.jpg.7e728dd339c70d3f11021396753c48e6.jpg

I feel like something should be inside the round hole. That it should look more like a recessed ring and not a hole. So I'm working on that still.

Kevin W.

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated

Excellent Kevin , im very glade the cross hatch is no more !  BTW I just had a giggle like a small child looking at this coming to life, and im not embarrassed for all to know this. 

The Recess should have a knob fitted in there I agree , the creative mind says its some sort of temperature control unit. Thanks for this epic update mate . 

Edited by stukatrooper

I'd prefer a simple circle with a line on it. a rotational device to adjust a parameter.

an imperial cog would in my opinion go against the clean lines of the suit.

Well guys I made a cast of knob that my kids broke off my Audio Receiver. After looking at all the ref pics, I decided not to add any dial marks to the knob. In most of the images it looks smooth like a button to me.

So here it is... Done with the Ab Plate!!!

photo-383_zps2a28d02f.jpg.ea18bd870a9893108eff2f30886156e4.jpg

Kevin W.

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated

The plan is to Vac-form over the knob. I do not feel the knob should be so obvious as being a knob that kids might think they should turn it while we are trooping. LOL

As I look at the other images and compare, it looks very subtle with only a recessed ring on the Ab Plate. 

Kevin W.

Edited by kwdesigns