Ralph McQuarrie's Concept Stormtrooper "Armor"

kwdesigns

Thank you for pointing that out Travis ;) , Skygunbro no longer adds these to his Concept McQ Stormtrooper helmet kit you have to by them sepratly , some folk prefer to paint the details and some like to add the decalls B)

I have to first say... I am so grateful for everyone's contribution to this project.

Billy -The Comparison pics are perfect and exactly what I was wanting to know. With your help as well as Pete's and Stephen... Just to name a few... You guys really help me picture how this concept armor should look. But now at the same time I feel I have a bigger challenge ahead and a lot more pressure on me to get the look just right. I will try my best with the short time frame I have.

Andy -That is a great find!! Thank you for posting that pic.

Vern -Your insight on this project has my brain rattling on all the possible ways this armor could assemble to fit a verity of different sized people. That does not mean I can say that it will but you got my gears turning about it.

Chris - I can not say that I will have a helmet on time for Cel Europe. But when I do make a helmet I was leaning more towards this style. Because 3 other people have made the more common looking helmet. I think I might be able to do a Vac-form version of this style. I do not think GG got their helmet right. This is what I think I see when looking a the sketch work.

I changed the angel on the back to make it look a little more like the ANH helmets to help the two parts flow together better. GG made the center nose area look like a flat round disc. I think it looks like a protruding filter. And the mouth grill I think is not perfectly round. I think it should be sort of shaped like the mouth of Leia's Boush helmet or more like the front grill of a 1932 Ford truck.
RMQHelmets_zps472a6f57.jpg.da75c9f3eec32ebdab74db60f0a82a78.jpg

Kevin W.

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated

Now why do i suddenly like that style of helmet !!!!!!!

As for the back and chest with the yoke at the top ,all i can say is great minds think alike ,I know its easy to say after your example but it made sence to me what with the detail at the top of the chest ,i must say you illustration looks far better than my scribble . Big ,big smiles here.

8426884397_295903db76_z.jpg

PS i really dont think there are any shoulder strap detail just clean cut lines over the shoulder area.

Edited by stukatrooper

On 1/29/2013 at 1:02 PM, kwdesigns said:

when I do make a helmet I was leaning more towards this style. Because 3 other people have made the more common looking helmet. I think I might be able to do a Vac-form version of this style. I do not think GG got their helmet right. This is what I think I see when looking a the sketch work.

I changed the angel on the back to make it look a little more like the ANH helmets to help the two parts flow together better. GG made the center nose area look like a flat round disc. I think it looks like a protruding filter. And the mouth grill I think is not perfectly round. I think it should be sort of shaped like the mouth of Leia's Boush helmet or more like the front grill of a 1932 Ford truck.

I'm soooooooo please you've gone for this version - awsome bucket & in my opinion the pick of the bunch!! Different to the otheres & what we have now :D DEFO future purchase!!!

As for the assembly - I'll leave this for the more experienced to comment on...........but the yoke over the collar bone and solid look give it a real armour feel..love it!!

Thought i should put this up tie's in nicely to the thread it's the mini McQ Trooperset made by Clutch , and curtsey of R2 Dan and what a awsome job he has done painting them up on a mini scale of his set , just goes to show you how somthing can look really cool on any scale ;) , oh and by the way i contacted Clutch yesterday to see if he was able to do another run , but unfortantly he no longer has the molds :( what a lovley little project to have as a desplay peice B)

UFKbNd2.jpg

BezET5V.jpg

e9RtX2J.jpg

@ Kevin really do like the separate neck closure on the chest with out the shoulder bridges :duim:

What the heck!!! I did some work on the Thighs and thought I would show how they are looking...

I used the old initial sculpt for my Season 1-3 thighs as a base. I thought this could give everyone an idea on what the size will be.

Front View of both the Left & Right Thighs

photo-236_zpsa8214eb9.thumb.jpg.5720f64bb4230bb796d379d9992b1094.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated

Blimy,Kevin ! To see the illustrations actually as a 3D object is fantastic. really liking the curves mate.

I had a parcel arrive today in the shape of some 5mm opel acrylic enough for two shields. Steve (SW1) is on the case with the sabers . :D

Edited by stukatrooper

Thank guys. I hope I can get a test pull of the thighs by next week.

It looks to me that the Lightsaber hilt is short for only one hand. Also if you look at the GG bust, I think the right side hip box should hold the Lightsaber hilt.

As for the Shield... are you planing on Vac-forming it?

Kevin W.

Weelllll , For a vac form shield ,that had never crossed my mind, I was going to construct it from the acrylic using this for the handle thinking out the box.

8429980253_71ec523608.jpg

I feel a shield should have some substance to it ,im sure if a vac form shield was double skined it would look thick enough but thats one hell of a buck 750 x 500mm .Thats the size i have come up with doing some scaling ,it sits shoulder to shoulder and from the neck to centre of thigh.

I will see what i end up with.

kevin! thanks for considering the options for larger troopers!

also might want to consider safety on the neck parts in case of a fall?

great thread!

I was thinking the Shield could be vac-formed in 2 or 3 parts for the front. I see the Shield curving from left to right a little if not then at least different layers for sure.

The handle looks good to me.

Kevin W.

kevin! thanks for considering the options for larger troopers!

also might want to consider safety on the neck parts in case of a fall?

great thread!

Yea I was totally thinking about the throat area the other day. I suggest to pad the chest so it is right up against your body. That way if someone bumps you or pushes on your chest.. the neck ring wont push into your throat Crushing you windpipe would be very bad!!!

Kevin W.

Edited by kwdesigns

I was thinking the Shield could be vac-formed in 2 or 3 parts for the front. I see the Shield curving from left to right a little if not then at least different layers for sure.

The handle looks good to me.

Kevin W.

After project maybe .

These look great , the thigh fronts seem to have some nice curves happening .from one side at the top they swoop in and the other swoop out. Really liking the back of the knees .nice one Kevin.