Ralph McQuarrie's Concept Stormtrooper "Armor"

kwdesigns

I agree this exciting project should be kept to how Ralph scetched his idea of how the concept stormtrooper looked , just added a couple of pic's B)

WOW Tantive Concept Troopers ,, loving this thread :)

88NIy06.jpg

@ Mark if a Concept trooper wont fit what about a Concept Vader ;)

1GJGGt1.jpg

Now let's help Kevin to get Ralph's work of art to be a reality gent's :jc_doublethumbup:

the way see it any scale can be done to look right. we don't have to assume that the troopers all have 34" torsos.

the comparison between 3po and a trooper just does not make sense to me.

the purpose for 3po being so slender is to mimic a robot.

if you used all the drawings I see several different torso scales... but that's how I see it.

it's clear that the design could go thick or thin depending upon what scale you choose to apply to the original rendering.

it reminds me of the joker squad armor. where jes has a very superhero styled body.

we're just making assumptions on scale here in my opinion.

there would be nothing wrong at all to scale the armor for 6' 38-40" waist

the design could have medium and large torso sections if the scale was adjustable.

is it because the sides have more of a clamshell? and are fully closed?

when I look at the action figure, I see a much larger torso scale...

that tantive 4 hallway rendering makes the shield design so much clearer! I'd never seen that before!

(billy's post below shows why I had not seen it)

from looking at the stuff that KW designs does I know this will be amazing armor to wear! and I look forward to

watching the progress on this!

very exciting, no matter what size you are!

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

On 1/15/2013 at 7:35 AM, SW1 said:

WOW Tantive Concept Troopers ,, loving this thread :)

eRs1CMv.jpg

Steve, that's not a McQuarrie original mate. Great though it is, this was drawn by a different artist paying homage to Ralph and his brilliant concept drawings. (note the scribble at the bottom "with apologies to R,M,")

:)

such harsh thinking?

Yes, I'm small, and yes I'd probably fit inside this armour if made to the correct scale. But I don't complain about Vaders being made to scale and thus far too big for me. Size is a double edged sword, and sometimes it prevents you from doing what you want. But I accept that.

• Like 1

apply scale to the images

use the helmet as scale reference.

8wErcUf.jpg

I see a thick barrel shaped core.

DLoUbmh.jpg

when I look at the images that ralph made the armor looks much larger than 30-36"

it looks more thick and allowing for a thick man.

y5k2mEu.jpg

my point is that the scale shown is not thin... it's thick.

and it shows slight variations between the designs. on some armor it looks like the ribcage is just undersuit, and on others it looks joined.

The undersuit is clearly shown on each side of the abdomen section.

in my view only the chest joins under the arms.

8wErcUf.jpg

in my view I see sidegap undersuit below the chest to back join.

I see a gap on the side of the thigh.

and I see design changes across the renderings.

the armor is not all the same in RMQ design. it represents different designs.

variation and change in design.

and look how RMQ did han and chewie in the elevator scene

y5k2mEu.jpg

looks like the armor is even larger.

and there's no way to translate the top of the thigh into his drawings.

we would not be able to take a step forward.

I also see lightsabres in both hands.

maybe thats the belt and the fence... ok only one lightsaber

left thumb tucked into rear edge of thigh.

Yes, I'm small, and yes I'd probably fit inside this armour if made to the correct scale. But I don't complain about Vaders being made to scale and thus far too big for me. Size is a double edged sword, and sometimes it prevents you from doing what you want. But I accept that.

That's actually a pretty good point. I can't see a lot of "ideal" Stormtroopers gearing up as Vader without a whole lot of fake size added. I also couldn't pull off a Jawa.

Lets not worry too much about the size right now. I can determine the size after I know exactly how I will sculpt it with the assembly of each part in mind. But please understand. I will be the one putting countless hours into the sculpt and I intend to wear this armor. But at the same time I have always thought about others when making any sets of my armor and who it might be able to fit. My Wife has been encouraging me to possible make 2 sizes because she feels I am not normal (LOL) I have short legs 30" inseam and a long torso. I'm 5'10". We will see and I can not promise anything about 2 sizes.

Lets work together to figure out what RMQ might have wanted the lower back side of this armor to look like. So far I have not been able to find good clear images of this... other than the action figure.

Let focus on the back of the Thighs for starters. That will then help determine some of the shape for the butt. We have to think about the way it would look on us as well as the function of us wearing it. And of course the method of me making the parts. I prefer to Vac-form the majority of the parts.

1) I see the action figure has the high wide points similar to the front with a very narrow butt.

2) Some art work shows that area looking more like what we see on the Movie ANH TK's

3) Other paintings show the back of the thigh so high it looks like it covers the butt. I can't see that working out very well.

I have read a few interviews with RMQ on his thoughts on the Stormtroopers. He mentions more about the helmet design than the Body armor. If anyone had the opportunity to talk with him or has more info please post...

Thanks again for everyone's input.

Kevin W.

Edited by kwdesigns

Kev, I'm totally down for whatever you decide... in keeping with RMQ initial vision, whatever we decide it to have been :)

I will definately get a set, but probably display it on a mannequin. As physically, with a past life as a competitive cyclist, I can not fit into the movie size trooper thighs (they are too long and narrow).

If you can work some sort of harness system like the one for your clonetroopers - that would be great!

Been putting pen to paper and as you well know kevin i have a picture in my minds eye of the unseen areas .The back of the thighs should not come any higher than TK thighs at the back .

8384149493_cced70af44_c.jpg

The butt should not be as full as the TK ,more like the clone covering half the cheek .Along with the deep swoop of the outer thighs will leave more under suit than we are all used to .

8385307636_249c1172ae_c.jpg

Do you think the back of the thighs have a raised ridge like the front? or is it smooth on the back of them? Or do you think it would have a spoon shape indention like on the back of Clone Thighs?

So far with the images I have seen I think the back of the thighs are smooth and might have a flat area running down from top to bottom. Much like the action figure. That would also make the thigh a little more ridged which is good.

The Butt you drew is kind of like the animated clone season 1-3. (or Fem-trooper looking) LOL

Kevin W.

Edited by kwdesigns

such harsh thinking?

and in another post i read bastardized?

so only thin scaled sculpts are intended? what about the larger person cannot be accepted in this?

I notice only the thin critics are so harsh... no spirit of troopers helping troopers here...

I am 6'2" 260 and I actually agree. This should be like the 3P0 where size does matter...I couldn't do a jawa, or an animated clone, just like a 5' woman couldn't pull off Vader.....wouldn't look right either. This is a very specific costume for a very specific build...

Kev a fem trooper could not be further from my thoughts lol. I was trying to portray a slim surface area (fail) The back of the thighs is a yes for smooth subtle curves and lines.I like the idea of a hint or homage to the TK with a flat fronted thigh fading into the knee spoon shape.The back of the knee is higher than the front spoon and may help movement with a slight rise at the centre or even a subtle flair away from the knee back. The opposite for the top of the shin back,a drop at the centre.

Another thought just came to mind.. Do you think the Butt needs to connect underneath with the Cod? va Elastic Strap like the ANH TK's? Or Not like Movie Style Clones?

Edited by kwdesigns

Another thought just came to mind.. Do you think the Butt needs to connect underneath with the Cod? va Elastic Strap like the ANH TK's? Or Not like Movie Style Clones?

Yes i think The armour is more TK in this area .The cod cupping you know what. elastic conecting to the back .The cod and butt fixed to the Belt with elastic and the belt held up with braces and the mid section armour plates slot behind the belt on tabs maybe .Or the belt held up with straps from the chest and the mid section plates fixed to these so the chest and back hold every thing else up .That way the mid section sort of floats between the two via the elastic .Two per mid plate. I think another picture is needed lol.

Edited by stukatrooper

I see several variants and different designs to RMQ

it's not one design.. it's many different kinds.

his art shows Variations and change.

not one kind of armor... but different kinds.

Yes Vern we all know this, but the essence is the same running throughout the design and that what we are looking at. Chest and back plates enclosing the upper torso , mid section plates being the front H shape plate and the two flanks.Belt section ,cod and some sort of butt ,leg and arm armour .There is one fundamental design and thats the goal.

I'm just a FISD member with a keen eye and a tolerance for people trying to push the design into their own pet peeve.

I do not accept that RMQ designed armor for small englishmen in a studio trying to fit into a budget.

I see RMQ designing armor for strong men with thick torso dimensions.

every single rendering shows a torso thicker than muir sculpts.

no person can say "I have accurate RMQ" armor designed unless it matches the renderings.

so we have many different designs here... are we going to only settle for one type when there are many variations?

ok... let's have the femtrooper buttplate that you're so interested in having.

8385307636_249c1172ae_c.jpg

sorry... I get a little sarcastic when it's late in the day.

Yes Vern we all know this, but the essence is the same running throughout the design and that what we are looking at. Chest and back plates enclosing the upper torso , mid section plates being the front H shape plate and the two flanks.Belt section ,cod and some sort of butt ,leg and arm armour .There is one fundamental design and thats the goal.

guesswork and artwork. how is that one fundamental design? who's goal? yours or kevins?

RMQ shows in his artwork that there is no ONE fundamental design.

Vern lets please stay on target here , Kevin has asked us to come up with idea's of the main design , iam sure once this has been nailed , then the moulds can be tweeked for differant body sizes and variations .

Vern,

They were concept drawings and as with most designers concept drawings you will always have variations on a theme. He provided ideas and storyboards for scenes, scenarios, characters and costumes from the outline of what Lucas gave him and used his brilliantly creative imagination and skill to bring them to life.

All the drawings available containing Stormtroopers concentrated more on the ‘scene’ than the minutia of the costume, sure they were a key part but not necessarily the main subject of the drawing.

As Pete said, there IS a reoccurring theme to the armour in the drawings, OK all the details are not consistent but there is an overall essence of what he was trying to portray, and THIS is what we are trying to tap in to and bring this armour to life.

You can have your opinions and argue, and even mock and try and put down others for their perspective on this, but the route that you are taking on this is totally wrong mate.

Pete, some cool ideas there mate, loving it!! B)

I see several versions of armor... that's my main point.

the goal in my court is to see variance, tolerance and acceptance of size, design and make.

I poke a bit of fun, and I question motives a bit...

in the end of the day the goal is a clear representation of RMQ's show of variation in design.

he clearly shows that his TK design was intended to be filled with changes and subtle variance.

I jest and poke a bit... yet the goal is "accuracy"

so far the accuracy point has been pushed to a scale concept... size.

I'm with kevin... he's making armor to fit himself.

his wife suggests he make armor for more than just himself.

again... I would have to agree.

my first point is that I believe kevin has the skills to make a good representation of the RMQ tk.

I'd just like to keep the design as true as possible and keep the scale intact.

in the end of the day none of what I say can be taken as a negative statement, or any such thing.

I in fact am having a great time pointing out things that people need to keep notice of..

it's all in good faith, and it's all with the point of being accurate and fun.

the drawings and the jest speaks for itself.

I would like to see the shoulder bells like the han and chewie drawing at the elevator.

the backpack. and everything!

I'm on the side of kevin in this... and I'm also on everyone's side.

can't wait to wear this armor!

correct billy... there is a main theme... and that is the best part.

my point is that with only a few changes kevin can make all the versions.

several shoulder designs, a few abdomen changes... some backpacks...

ton's of potential.

when I look at the renderings RMQ did I see sandtroopers, shock troopers and TK's.

variance. he designed the shapes different on purpose...

that is the target. as far as I see.

stay on target!

On 1/11/2013 at 2:23 PM, kwdesigns said:

I am strongly considering doing this project but would like to get some feed back to know if others would desire a set of this armor?

SIZE:

I would scale it to fit a standard movie derived Stormtrooper set. I am 5'10 and 170 lbs. Standard Stormtrooper size, so I've been told.

IMPORTANT: Because of the design this will be very limited on sizing. It will not fit a large range of different sized people. I will most likely utilize my "Connection Flanges" in the sculpt to help with the ease of assembly like I have done with my Animated Series Clone Armor kits.

TIME FRAME:

That would give me about 5 months tops to do it, on top of the other stuff I make and only leave those who want this to wear at Cel Eurpoe about 1 month to assemble it. Give or take because of shipping time.

But I would continue to make a few more kits after Cel E. for anyone else that would want them.

HELMET:

x3

Kevin - interested? absolutely! I think most people will be. I've bought & built your kit before & it's fantastic. I doubt I can contribute too much on the details & build of this but it's great to see the brainstorming.

Size - again I agree, being 6'3" I maybe out of the range a little but an ideal template is the TKs we have now in my opinion

Timeframe: Whenever it gets done

Helmet: All are good although this one reminds me a little of my inflatable companion, Martha

ar8ARZv.jpg

RMQConcept34backview_zps601f7276.jpg.c4eb05ab0f9ddf6ddc5c5a0e76d633ac.jpgI will like to incorporate as many of the variants and blend them in a fashion to make one final look of what will hopefully capture a recognizable "RMQ Concept Trooper" I can not have all the variants in one set of armor and I do not intend to sculpt every different style that was used to illustrated the look either. Just a nice blend of what portrays the look of the early designs and some of what we have come to love through the armor sculpted for ANH Stormtrooper armor. I strongly feel other sketches were done or a conversation that led the ANH Stormtroopers to have a wider butt plate made.

This is a 3/4 back & side line drawing I did to help me understand the look the back might have. I think using a wider butt and giving it some look of a narrow butt would work.

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s58/kwdesigns2/RMQ%20Concept%20Stormtrooper/RMQConcept34backview_zps601f7276.jpg

The exploded View shows the individual parts also from a 3/4 back / side view. I also feel an elastic strap should connect from the underside of the Cod & Butt.

I have to say I am really like what this is starting to look like base on everyone's input.

Thanks

Kevin W.

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated