2392 reporting in

TK bondservnt

time to start off 2013 with a bang!

I'm stuck in bed with a sprained diaphram and spine!

can't walk, hardly can talk!

cerebral palsy sucks!

one short visit to a chiropractor and I'll be good as new...

how many tk's out there suffer with problems like this?

chime in and tell your story!

Mine is a bit different, had some disk removed from my spine, have a compressed spinal cord, bolts and rods now in my back, still get tingling in both my legs and back pain. I have an injection in my spine every 12 months, I have sympathy for anyone with back pain

Edited by gmrhodes13

Wow, I don't feel so bad now with my twinged lower back (a bit like sciatica, but mellower). It's a dull intermediate pain, nowhere near what you have. Get better soon!

And yes, I see my chiro once a month. Trying to get it to every 6 weeks...

Sorry to hear about your problems, Vern :( I know it's much of comfort but yeah, I have my share of pains as well :( Mine are mostly concentrated to my abdomen but often also at my back. The latter usually happens after prolong standing or sitting (or after a long troop which is funny because I feel great as long as I wear the armor). As long as I am on the move or as long as I lay down, it's usually ok. I have received therapy 6 months ago for this but not sure if it fully worked, maybe I should just go back again.

As for my abdomen, I have been diagnosed with IBS in '08 but since the complaints (bloating, reflux, heartburn sharp pains etc) came back worse not long ago, all the exams started again. The last week I had an EGK, earlier this week an ultrasound and yesterday an upper GI. Not to mention all the blood work that is done etc etc etc. I have a lot of mixed feelings about the results as they show up clear time after time, just like in '08 (received certain meds that reduced the complaints back then, so maybe I need stronger or different ones, idk).. At one hand I'm super happy and relieved that they don't find anything because my biggest fears were certain (deadly) diseases (and sadly enough I'm very fast assuming the worst) but at the same time it's terrible to have terrible complaints that no-one really can do anything about :(

Hope you feel better soon again, Vern! Pain sucks big time... I guess it's part of the process of getting older, one of those things I don't really like :mellow:

chiropractor?

It's bad when it effects the ability to walk, or breathe, or talk.

I'm sure if you've had a back injury it CAN be a cause of digestive distress.

the nervous system travels though our spine, and it has every aspect of our body

involved.

I'm going to have ultrasound massage, heat/ice therapy and weight training to try to recover.

in addition to adjustments to the mechanical location of all my vertebre and ribs.

I once had a PT give me a styrofoam tube to roll on to adjust my spine.

result: totally dislocated ribs and chest.

solution: chiropractor.

diagnosis: the PT injured me greatly and only added to my soft tissue damage.

ligature does not heal. it only scars

the reason for my injury is complex:

past injury.

a strange set of circumstances:

cough,

gag reflex

spinal subluxation.

muscle lock/cramp

resulting in a dislocated spine, a strained set of chest muscles

and a sprained diaphram.

hurts to breathe, hurts to talk.

did I mention I love to type?

:th_AnimatedBravoSmiley:

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

Yeah the longer it continues with me, the more I believe the two might be related. Whenever my abdominal pain is bad, the back pain also gets worse, and vice versa. I am planning to go back to my doctor next week in order to see what we can do to continue this, it's too irritating not to do anything about..

I certainly will ask about a chiropractor, last time my therapy was more like stretch exercises and other exercises aimed to strengthen the core (physical therapy). The complaints did become less over time but never really went away, I sometimes actually felt like it was not good at all for my body.. And since halfway December '12 the complaints are back in full force :(

Thinking back.. I actually think the first time got some complaints was during/after a period of heavy exercising. The first time I had problems was in 2004, but it never was as bad as it was in 2008, when it really started. I kind of overdid myself with fitness at a certain point and I don't believe not sitting up straight for many years (I guess since around 1985) behind computers did not help either (I'm a serious sloucher lol). So yeah, it wouldn't surprise if you're right about my back having something to do with my front.

lol do or do not, eh? xD

Nah want to discuss it with my doctor first, also have to discuss some other stuffs.. plus I might be covered for it but will need a referral in that case (kind of hope I am, when we had to choose a plan, we did choose a plan with the best/most options at the time and I know one of their plans does cover it, so I might be lucky but I guess I'll have to check that first).

Edited by svache

a chiropractor won't give you pills. they will simply x ray you, and adjust your spine.

problem solved...

in my case at least.

you don't need to ask permission to get a massage with a happy ending?

you don't need permission to go to a chiropractor.

There are also a lot of bad chiropractors out there - they're not really doctors like an MD is and have the highest rates of quackery of any medical profession. My back is not right after I had one bad chiro. :( OTOH, a good chiro also does accupressure and will really push you doing strengthening exercises.

you don't need to ask permission to get a massage with a happy ending?

Don't think my wife would like it, though xD

But yeah, I know I don't need permission but if I could reduce some of the costs, that'd be cool but that's only doable with doctor's referral :)

There are also a lot of bad chiropractors out there - they're not really doctors like an MD is and have the highest rates of quackery of any medical profession. My back is not right after I had one bad chiro. :( OTOH, a good chiro also does accupressure and will really push you doing strengthening exercises.

Yeah thats also one of my worries.. my dr. better knows her people lol

There are all kinds of chiropractors out there - recently I switched from the "health nut" (x-rays every six months, allergy tests, exercises, traction, the full 9 yards) to the "sports rehabber" who is less about the spine itself and more about how to realign whole systems through muscle and soft tissue movement (essentially it's getting adjusted). I think it's called Active Release or something. Anyway, I get adjusted less often, but have weekly PT massage therapy which is getting beat up but holy cow how she has put motion and flexibility back into my shoulders and joints! I enjoy learning things about my body, like how pronated (?) hips make you walk funny and cause all sorts of upper body problems especially related to torque, which is critical for hockey players, baseball, tennis, etc. So my upper back and shoulders have 40 years of torque-ing athletics to un-do (not to mention computer work). It also has something to do with why my knees are horrid, my arches flat, my femurs turned inward, and my lower core being non-existent. The other chiro, whom I also liked, was more about how the nervous system flows out through the spine, and if the spine is out of whack, the organs that area is connected to will begin to have problems. So with my upper back issues, I also have respiratory issues in my lungs and diaphragm, and other things related to how the poor nerves can't get their signals out to those organs.

My sister went to a chiropractic college for a few months, then ran screaming because it was "too much like voodoo, no science"... so there are definitely GOOD practices and BAD practices. But I can tell you my physician seems to like to push drugs before considering how the whole systems works, and he is considered one of the best diagnosticians in the Valley. I will take the natural practices (that make sense to me) before the pharma conspiracy any day. However, that said, there is a place for Western Medicine as well, and it absolutely has its place and benefits, and for certain types of injury or illness I do go to the physician first. One last thing, my best friend since high school is a physician, and after a few years and a few fellowships she went and got certified for acupuncture. She loves using me as a pin cushion and induced my labor that way. When a physician says there's benefits to Eastern Medicine that Western can't seem to get a handle on, well, I listen.

All that said, for all of you who have to deal with any kind of chronic issues, my heart goes out to you. "Getting old" has been hard enough on me, and I am starting to give up fighting it. 40 years of abusing myself in sports, with a screwed up hip structure to compensate for... not fun. But next time I feel like complaining, it will behoove me to remember there are others who fight a hell of a lot harder than I do.

And kudos for you, Vern, for keeping at it, helping even if you can't troop. (But find a way to troop if you can! :) The inner child will keep you going!)