Are you ever too old to Troop?

This may sound like a completely ridiculous question, and I do mean it in more as a curiosity factor than anything else, but do you guys get any sense amongst yourselves that at some point you are thought of as being too old for this according to others? Not that it should matter. I was 8 when ANH hit the theaters and will be 44 in the Spring. I'm wondering if that puts me well outside of the average age range, or if there are a lot of us out trooping in our 40's and beyond. Not that its going to stop me, but I am curious.

I don't think so. I honestly think that if it wasn't for trooping, we all probably be slightly thicker in some areas. ;). This hobby makes me stay thin and young or I should say young at heart.

I'll be 43 this April and I'm hoping to continue to costume till I'm not able.

Edited by Seeker

Never to old Bill , turned 40 last year and as long as my body permits me to troop i will so, there are guy's and girls older than me in our Garrison and they are trooping strong all as if we were 21 again ;)

Never to old Bill , turned 40 last year ;)

Yeah,

But you look waaaaaaaaaaay older. :P

Could be worse , you could be that old fart Haggis ( mid 50's and still trooping in the UK).

I believe the "Old man of the Legion" is in his 70's and stil trooping ( Old Sarge?)

I was 10 years old when I went to see ANH and from that day always wanted stormtrooper armour, I will be 46 this march and I am a stormtrooper and troop as much as I can and will continue to do so to a ripe old age :smiley-sw013:

I was 6 years old when I first saw ANH.

I've always wanted to be a stormtrooper from that day on.

Unfortunately the grow bag my parents kept me in, and the feeding of baby bio, once a week meant at 16 years old I was a height of 6ft 2".

Now at 41 years of age and 6ft 5, my dream of being a TK has crashed and burned, due to being too tall.

So, my only option was to embrace the dark side and become Vader.

I feel a little jealous of the guys who are average height, and can fit most costumes. However maybe some wish they could be a Vader too.

So in a nut shell, I'm hoping to be cleared, sometime this year and will troop until I drop, to make up for all those lost years of never being able to wear the white armour.

Me thinks you're about the average age of most folks in the legion. If the membership database wasn't so messed up I could tell you what that age is.

Heck I plan on taking my butt plate off so I can sit in the wheelchair and roll into a troop in my advanced age.

And seriously... we're all about 12 years old on in the inside.

-Eric

I'm 43 and probably won't start trooping for another few months yet....Maybe we can start an over 40s niche ...You're only as old as you feel...and thanks to ABS and rubber gloves I can't really feel a darned thing in this armor !!!!.....Maybe we can put the 40 into 401K !!!

I might be crazy but it seems like there's a common bond of people getting into it as relatively new parents. People with toddlers or right above. Maybe it's just a way we're all connecting with our childhoods again. I imagine most every kid that sees Star Wars wants to dress up in armor, but only as an adult do most of us have the means to make it happen for real.

I have my first baby due next month and jumped in on the first TK build mid pregnancy. I'd say it was a nice way to take my mind off things and geek out.

Much respect for all TK veterans on here! :salute:

I have my first baby due next month and jumped in on the first TK build mid pregnancy. I'd say it was a nice way to take my mind off things and geek out.

I have my 2nd due in May, a boy! It's my little way of (geek) nesting. ;)

I'm an 11 year-old-boy on the inside, climbing trees and snowboarding and reading comics and playing games and collecting and building Legos...

And I'm a 41-year-old mom on the outside, at least that's what people seem to want to see when they look at me.

No, you're never too old to live your dreams and follow your heart and do what pleases you.

My hypothesis is that we not only have the better means as we get older (to do this hobby), but our values change and we begin to be less driven by the pressures of the external world, the conformity and other people's expectations, and we begin to recognize and create meaning in our lives, and for some of us, this is very meaningful and fulfilling.

• Like 1

On 1/8/2013 at 5:10 AM, Ibnzbass4 said:

Wow! This is all music to my ears. Like I said, going on 44, father of 2 and still very young at heart. The best part is beginning to share the enthusiasm with my son who is approaching the age I was when ANH came out.

We are pretty much in the same boat, it was our soon 6 year old son whose interest towards Star Wars "boosted" both mine and my wife's interest to a new level. We both have project going on now and next ones already planned ;)

-------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

On 1/8/2013 at 6:15 AM, LadyInWhite said:

My hypothesis is that we not only have the better means as we get older (to do this hobby), but our values change and we begin to be less driven by the pressures of the external world, the conformity and other people's expectations, and we begin to recognize and create meaning in our lives, and for some of us, this is very meaningful and fulfilling.

This pic also furthers the "be yourself" mantra, regardless of age.

--------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

You're only as old as you feel you are and one should only stop trooping when he/she doesn't want to anymore, not because of what others say. Age is nothing but a number imho :)

Edited by svache