Need some armor advice

Hello, I am brand new to this forum as i hoped this would be the best place to search for some advise.

I have been reading information on the various armor kits and things like untrimmed and trimmed etc etc. But what armor kit would you guys recommend for a noob? I am totally knew to armor kits and things such as that so i have no clue on how to tackle this subject. Like i want to know wether to get trimmed or untrimmed etc etc. Also i assume i have to directly email the armor kit maker to make an order is that correct?

also what is expert infantry and centurion level?

Thank you.

Hi, Brandon, and welcome to FISD!

First, where are you from and what brings you to us? Have you found your local garrison, which is likely full of great people who can help you in person? In any case, these forums are all I and many others had and we managed, so fear not :)

Second, are you a bigger trooper, slimmer, tall, short, etc. as that can help you decide on which armor maker. Many if not most of us took on this hobby with no experience, but if you are terribly intimidated (like we all were) you could go for a trimmed kit which takes one step out of the process but means you'll wait longer for the kit. And yes, you contact the armorers directly by email or PM.

Keep reading up and you'll find it gets less scary as you learn more and more!

As for Expert Infantry and Centurion, these are award programs by this detachment for those who take their costumes beyond the basic approval level. Right now you have other fish to fry like choosing armor, but when you have the kit in hand you'll want to decide how much "extra" detail to put into it as you build it. Even for a first timer i found EI to be relatively easy to do as I went along!

Good luck :)

Trimmed or untrimmed is ultimately up to you. Untrimmed takes more time, but I've heard that people often have to trim armor to fit them even though they bought it "trimmed." That would probably depend on your body size and the body type the armor best fits. I am not a very hands on person, but I bought an untrimmed set and was proud to spend the time working on it.

You should email the armor makers directly. Some of them have waiting lists, so as soon as you decide on armor you should contact the maker.

EI and Centurion are awards that you can earn by meeting mroe detailed armor requirements. These requirements may take more time or more specific materials, but I am really proud that I made my recent ATA build to EI level. The CRL's include what your armor needs to have for Entry Level, EI, and Centurion.

I hope this helps you some. Best of luck!

Im from Arizona and I checked my area and didn't find any local 501st members.

Have a look here http://www.duneseagarrison.com/

Hey man, Im part of the Arizona Garrison (Dune Sea Garrison). I would be glad to help you out. We have some really helpful folks that have tons of experience putting together a TK. Send me a PM and we can talk some more. I have an AM base kid myself so I can give you some feedback on the pro's and con's of it.

Isaac

Since Am doesn't make white kits anymore, what would be a good alternative?

You can fit into pretty much any screen accurate armour with your size and weight. But I'd avoid AP in your case as it's on the slim side. You should have no problem with the others. But it also of course depends on how your weight is distributed. No armour will hide a big beer gut.

You can fit into pretty much any screen accurate armour with your size and weight. But I'd avoid AP in your case as it's on the slim side. You should have no problem with the others. But it also of course depends on how your weight is distributed. No armour will hide a big beer gut.

Unless you wear it like a girdle and cinch your belt. :smiley-sw013: