How to dye leather shoes black?

Hello,

http://www.driphollywood.com/adidas-jabbar-high.html

How would you recommend dying these shoes black? (I can do the rubber parts fine.) I cannot find a black pair in existence...and thus will be willing to try to dye these. I need to apply shoe stripper, but any dyes in particular for these? I need your help!

If your wondering, this if for my Daft Punk build.

7975583570_f2260b8dac.jpg

Daft Relaxing by TK9336, on Flickr

7975596869_8b9651efc6.jpg

tumblr_llcsadw6sj1qan3f6o1_500_large by TK9336, on Flickr

7975582603_dfe7862d32.jpg

daftpunkadidasproof by TK9336, on Flickr

There is some auto spray paints used to change the colour of upholstery, may be worth a try. I don't think you would be able to use a dye as such, not unless you scuffed off the top glossy layer of those shoes but that may ruin them. Even a black enamel spray would work but may come off easily around the creases and movement areas

if you simply use angelus leather paint you don't need to do anything but paint it, and then seal it.

why use some stuff not made for the purpose?

angelus leather paint does not crack peel or come off.

il_fullxfull.388242437_pksu.jpg

I used it on my TK boots for my TX. works on nylon elastic too!

I don't know why people think they have to use paints that come off.

it's a no brainer.

use the above paint, and if you want it gloss or matte you can also get the sealer for those

applications from the same company.

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

Thanks guys! Would you recommend the paint...or dye? Would 4oz be enough for both shoes?

I will order some and post back when it arrives. Do you think Angelus works on the little felt toe bumper?

Edited by Rebel Doughboy

stuff works much better than dye. it's flexible acrylic paint.

don't think about dye at all...

that's for untreated leather.

the 4oz bottle has a ton of application ability.

the paint goes on very evenly and does not show though.

you could probably do knee top boots and probably has enough for 2 pairs of knee top boots.

I will check but i think in the RPF there is a AWESOME thread about this costume and they talk extensively on the dyeing the shoes and all.

EDIT

Never mind that awesome thread is yours :) lol

I believe that rubber might accept the paint. If I were going to paint rubber I'd want to research the type of rubber

and how it would match the paint used.

you have to match materials closely, that's how painting works!

it would have to be tested.

I have used Forever black on my Adidas Nizza Hi tops (before I knew the EXACT shoe DP wears). There are pictures on my RPF thread (http://www.therpf.com/f9/daft-trooper-tk-takes-dp-162768/index2.html), and Flicker (http://www.flickr.com/photos/51122238@N05/) account. It came out as that beautitful matte factory fresh black, but after wearing them heavily for three months it has rubbed off quite a bit. It's dye made for rubber tires and supposed to last a half year. Where the rubber shoe didn't make abrasive contact it has stayed put and water resistant.

Alas, I would willing to try the Angelus on it, since I have ALOT of the Forever Black dye left.

What I really need to do is take the sneakers to a cobbler and have the soles replaced with Adidas Superstars 2.0 soles but I want to keep the original as much as humanly possible.

(Also, how do you make words in a post be clickable to a internet link...like clicking the words "RPF thread" would go straight to the address to my thread on the RPF...without having to post the entire address in the post?)

Edited by Rebel Doughboy

(Also, how do you make words in a post be clickable to a internet link...like clicking the words "RPF thread" would go straight to the address to my thread on the RPF...without having to post the entire address in the post?)

What you do is type the word you want to use as the link work ie: here, then click on the word and highlight it (click on with left button and drag across) then go up to the link tool in the toolbar, then enter the website address, press ok and you are done

Edited by gmrhodes13

Well the conversion went swimmingly. I did feel bad taking such a brand new, clean pair of sneakers and making them as dark as the night. I guess I'll write up a tutorial for anyone else thinking about doing this if they cannot get a hold of Jabbar V2's, or well, want to give it a shot. I want to thank TKBondservant for his excellent advice to use Angelus I am very happy. Just thought I'd post my results.

Difficulty: Easy

Materials:

-Adidas Kareem Abdul Jabbar sneakers (Deadstock if possible).

-Angelus Black leather paint 4oz bottle (not the dye!)

-Angelus High Gloss Acrylic paint Finisher 4oz bottle.

-Angelus (or Fiebings) Deglazer and Preparer.

-Sponge applicator (multiple).

-Small brush for detail areas.

-Small bowl.

8370944961_3cc0a8ee1f.jpg

Adidas Kareem Abdul Jabbars Sz 9 by TK9336, on Flickr

TIME: 3-4 Hours.

Preparation is everything when making a replica, or anything. You don't have to get halfway, and have a "oh snap" moment because then it is very likely it is too late, and a mind numbing fix. Make sure your workspace is ready (some newspaper would do really.) This isn't a messy project, just make sure you shake the paint bottle, put it in a bowl, have a sponge applicator ready, and just take your time.

First off, take the laces out. Remember, if your shoes are "deadstock" they are factory fresh, they have just been in the box for a long time. Make sure there isn't any dirt, or dust on them that could contaminate the paint finish. Take a cloth, wipe it off, and just make sure there isn't anything that screams dirt. If your shoes are dirty however, make sure you clean them with simple soap, and water and dry them bad boys off.

8378155357_ee2332cafd.jpg

The Conversion by TK9336, on Flickr

NOTE: I used Meltonian Suede Re-Nu for my suede toe bumpers. I put on really thin coats and it went on, but it was taking forever, and the best results I was getting, was dark grey, not jet black. I wouldn't recommend it. The tip to painting suede is that a little paint goes a long way. You have to work the paint into the suede, otherwise glopping it on will look bad, and not work well. I don't recommend using that product, as the Angelus works fine, when using a sponge and taking your time.

8379232542_6d392bfff8.jpg

8379231612_13b19365f8.jpg

(Definitely not black...but it served as a great undercoat!)

8378149749_b470de1cb6.jpg

(Painting suede [covered a little later in this post]. One coat on the left versus none on the right.)

Now, where were we? Right.

Deglazer, this stuff will stink up whatever space your working in, and the fumes aren't good for you either. Make sure you have a ventilated workspace! You don't need a ton, just spread over the LEATHER parts. Keep it off the rubber and suede. You don't need much because all your doing is taking off the protective factory finish. You can do the touch test. The factory finish leather will feel smooth and your finger glides across it. Once deglazer is on, it feels a little more natural. It feels a little rougher, but not a whole ton. You can, and will feel a subtle difference. This stuff also runs (consistency of water) so don't soak your sponge in it like I did, and end up finding another sponge to absorb the waterfall.

Coat it with two thin coats. Let dry. Like 10-15 minutes, let the juice do its work.

After it's dry feel to shake up your black paint. This paint has more similarity to sludge than water based paint. Once mixed up, it should have the flow of normal paint. However note: if you let the paint in your bowl sit out too long it will harden. So don't walk away from the paint and expect it to be the same an hour later. With that I recommend...paint in sections! Pour out a little paint at a time, and don't go ham right away! Too much paint too quickly won't settle correctly, or bond as well and be MUCH more prone to cracking.

8378150617_28a121886e.jpg

Don't freak out after you do an area you see streak marks from your sponge, remember thin coats! When you do every part on the shoe, go back and start at the first section you started at. It should be dry to the touch by then! You want a rich black, and that small bottle has WAY more than enough to do BOTH shoes. You could do another two pairs!

AGAIN: With Angelus paint, a A LITTLE GOES FAR! The biggest thing here is patience. Let the paint dry and take your time, hell...enjoy it! Put on TRON: Legacy, or Interstella 5555...I watched Pulp Fiction. Also, remember to have a drink near by. No one likes being thirsty! Rush it, and it will LOOK rushed!

8379229406_17067b6745.jpg

That is the meat and potatoes of it. A little goes a long way here. I recommend doing the center of the shoe, and tongue last. After that, using SMALL amounts, hit up that suede. This part will take time to get right. Just take your time. I have stressed that enough yet? Rush it, and you soak the suede, and you can't really fix that.

If there anywhere you missed, use a small brush and fill in the areas with a good amount of paint (I found this happened on the top areas of stiches, and the recessed seam in the sole). Then your sponge and spread the paint around in that area, and not only is the spot filled, but it doesn't look like you filled it.

Once everything is where you want it to be, put away your Angelus paint Break out the High gloss finisher. You really do not need a lot of this. Just pour a little, work it in. Pour a little more, repeat until completed. You notice a instant change. Essentially, you putting a clear layer over the paint that seals it, and protects it from the cruel world! It should also not be any bit tacky. Once dry, lace those bad boys up and break them in a bit. I think the results speak for themselves.

8378148023_9644893d62.jpg

OPTIONAL: Using the high gloss on the soles. I know, I know the soles weren't shiny...but the protection keeps paint from scraping off left and right. I wore my previous pair of modified Nizzas for about three months around a college campus. I haven't figured out anyway to really paint, or dye the rubber soles to be permanent. The leather paint is most certainly strong, and won't be taken off easily...I really applaud Angelus on that. I also put on the Forever Black tire dye on the soles, for kicks (no, not for kicking people), maybe it might help the finish last longer. I still have yet to put on the gloss finish on the soles, but I first put on the Angelus paint, then Forever Black, and will put on the gloss.

Last reminder...the paint on the soles will only rub off when making abrasive contact with other objects, and the recessed areas will remain black. If out at a con (like I plan to do) I will just bring the tiny bottle of paint and the sponge applicator, and re apply as necessary.

Now for a compassion next to my Nizza Hi tops. You can see they have a little wear and tear from regular wear.

8379224562_2b23bf5798.jpg

8378145667_7346833d00.jpg

8379222646_c64bcdeb08.jpg

8379221852_1fca9b05fe.jpg

8378143009_4f625133ac.jpg

(Yes I only lightly went over the bottom. Once I have a official photoshoot done I will do it for it. Otherwise...it will just come off in time anyways...)

8378142019_f0de4c9351.jpg

8378141073_e6fdd17492.jpg

8372194070_2a5c3bd535.jpg

Up close! by TK9336, on Flickr

That ALL said...if I could just get the V2 Jabbars (which are smooth leather, and all black) I would and skip all this work ANY day of the week. If you can get the Brown Jabbars hi tops V2 in your size, or if your lucky to find black...just get them! When your soles scrape off the black paint on top of the brown, it won't even be noticeable. The only thing with the V2's...is that they lack the suede toe bumper. My recommendation? Once you have V2's in your possession, take them to get a suede toe bumper added by a cobbler. BAM! That's all you'd have to do.

top job using the exact materials I use, and you did a fine job of explaining the process.

this is exactly how I paint my TK boots colors for use in different costumes ie.

TX TKC or Incinerator boots.

the TK boots didn't need to be preped at all, just apply paint and go with the sealer.

it's really easy with a sponge!

painting the sole on a boot most likely would work with the same paint, just would need to apply sealer now again again from time to time.

you would have to test the process.

the TK boots on my TX look exactly like the more expensive jodphur... I'd go TK boot and paint. it's really easy!

much easier than making the shoes shown here in this thread.

Vern can you post a pic of your TX boots? I think I'll just get some bass amsterdams for mine and polish them after reading how much work goes into making the tkboots black. Laziness on my part

it took about 20 minutes to do the black

and 10 to do the sealer 2x

txboot.jpg

I did not use the prep solvent. just poped the paint on with a sponge, and applied the sealer also with a sponge.