Gent's..What Stormtrooper Helmet?

Evening Gent's,

First Post, I'm looking for some experienced advice on a choice of Stormtrooper Helmet that's authentic to the original? I've searced online and found plenty of info on what's been available over the the years,licensed/unlicensed..? I'm not trying to create a complete costume,i just would like to buy a Helmet that is Authentic to what i seen in the Film as a youngster in the 70's.

So far, all i've managed to figure out is the choice of Stunt/Hero but that's about all?

I've come across two options, EFX or SDS..?

Thanks in advance....

• 2 weeks later...

I ask because RS Prop Masters offers a choice of either material at no additional charge, and suggests that the PVC is whiter and glossier and more durable, which sounded like a plus to me. I am seriously considering investing in a full RS suit and I would like to know which is the way to go if I intend to join the 501st and troop. Thanks.

Well there will always be the issue of making sure that the armour fits you properly and looks proper on you. It's the fit more than the details. Ready-to-wear armour (even RS) is not going to be 100% approved and EIB ready out of the box.

Only minor tweaking would be needed, I am sure, but don't expect it to be that easy. ;)

PVC is thicker and therefore loses some detail but not much. PVS is way better for trooping as it is stronger.

Depends if you are going for authenticity or troopability.

From the sound of the OP you would be better off going with ABS as that is what the originals were made of. ABS still stands up to a lot of abuse, and is more 'authentic' which is what you were looking for yeah? :)

PVC per se is not thicker than ABS. RS is using 1.5 mm plastic for both the ABS and PVC and their overall thickness after forming will be about the same.

Ok, I just want to be clear before I take a decision on this. I'm sure you've heard this a million times before, but my childhood memory of Star Wars is largely idealized. As a noob here, I personally wouldn't mind a fully idealized super-glossy and symmetrical (at least the helmet) suit of armor, or even a ROTJ version, but I need to base my decision on what the 501st prefers, and it appears that accuracy is king. If that is indeed the case, then perhaps I really am better off with a suit of RS, warts and all, than with something "cleaner". Or is the PVC version of the RS suit going to be a sort of ultra-white and super-glossy, compromise between idealized and accurate, and most importantly, does the 501st prefer ABS anyway? In other words, if I went with the PVC version of the RS suit, presumably it would restrict my options within 501st in more ways than the ABS version would? By restriction, I mean the preclusion of more advanced certification levels based on the type of plastic used or whether or not the surface texture is consistent.

I understand the importance of screen accuracy in costuming where the inconsistency of one uniform in a crowd can detract from the entire group's presentation. I just want to be sure that I'm getting the suit that will be the most in accord with FISD guidelines, and if that means having to get a suit that looks like it was spraypainted by teenagers in a dust storm, I just want to be sure that's what is called for before I spend this much money. I plan to build more and various types of armor in future, but I really like the idea of having an accurate ANH reference in-hand, so there's another reason to like the RS.

As a point of interest, I received an email this morning from Rob & Simon, and they suggest that a fully loaded pre-assembled RS armor+helmet+accessories order could be filled by end of January / early February - a lot faster than I thought.

Anway, thanks for all the great advice, and sorry to the OP if I have hijacked his thread somewhat.

The original suits were made from ABS, and a lot of other armour makers use that because it's better than HIPS for trooping. RS are the first ones to offer PVC armour, and you are right in the sense that it is a super glossy kind compared to their ABS offering. But either plastic will not hamper you in regards to any awards like EIB and Centurion. Those come down to assembly and fit.

If you want something super shiny (some ABS can also be super shiny, like TM's acrylic capped ABS) or intend to do some massive trooping where it is more like rugby than standing around for pictures, then PVC would be a better alternative. If you want to do anything else, ABS and PVC are equally durable, and ABS the slightly more accurate material.

Basically it comes down to your own preference rather than any substantial difference.

So it is easy to imagine picking up a PVC version later even if I go for the ABS for my first suit. If I go for the RS in ABS am I going to stand out in a crowd as the home-made looking trooper? I mean, from the perspective of spectators whose memory of Star Wars is idealized, of course. Most people's memory does not seem to recall how rough-looking the helmets and armor were in the first film. How do you deal with most people recoiling in somewhat embarrassed horror for your, in their (wrong) estimation, nice attempt at home-made stormtrooper armor? I'm not suggesting that RS armor looks bad up-close, but to the unenlightened, which is most people, it certainly can.

Which would YOU choose? What if I ask Rob if they can "somewhat minimize the imperfections"? Would that immediately draw criticism? "Hey, that TK doesn't look warpy enough! Get him!"

Any such worries are unwarranted. If anything, you'd stand out as the best looking stormtrooper rather than the worst.

Personally I would go for the ABS. But that's just me. Most troopers prefer super glossy. You can honestly not go wrong with either version. I guess other than the glossyness factor, the only real difference would be the stiffness of the plastic, with ABS being slightly stiffer than the PVC. So some people might think that feels less like armour. But with stiffness come risk of cracks, which is even greater with thicker plastic or HIPS which is even less flexible.

No one has commented or mentioned the EFX or SDS helmets as asked for in the first post, therefore here is my reply about them.

The EFX is an idealised symmetrical helmet, that needs many modifications to clear with the 501st.

Therefore avoid for trooping.

The SDS is not very accurate. The maker has not made it from original moulds.

To save time and Money the ear bumps and vocoder are separate inaccurate pieces glued on over areas with no detail.

I was so ashamed of the build and SDS history, I got rid of mine.

Therefore, also to avoid

• 1 month later...

"Note: A stock (out of the box) MRCE and/or EFX PCR helmet does not meet the basic 501st requirements without the major modification that are necessary. Please visit FISD/whitearmor.net for more info on these modifications."

Hi, im new here!

I can´t find the necessary modifications for a efx helmet?

Are they anywhere here in the forums?

I searched the half day for it...

would be a efx helmet so bad? (even after modifications?)

(sorry for the bad english!)

greetings Sebastian

Not so many people are getting these helmets anymore, thankfully. But that means the tutorials are old, and in this case the images aren't displayed anymore. but the text remains.

-----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed