ATA anh stunt helmet...finally started!

Looking good, just try to square the corners of the teeth a bit more, I used some small files on mine :duim:

Looking good, just try to square the corners of the teeth a bit more, I used some small files on mine :duim:

Thanks for the input Glen, but I have a question about the teeth...I've read its not good to have 90 degree

corners cut into the plastic for reasons of preventing cracking and it seems like the teeth would be a whole bunch of

sharp corners if they were all squared.

Is squaring the teeth a requirement or is it a personal preference choice?

Thanks for the reply Mathias...I have seen the photos of the originals and I do realize that the teeth corners are squared.

Do they have to be squared off to meet standards and if so, are there any worries about cracking?

Why would you not want to make it like the originals? No, there is no additional risk of cracking. It's not an area that receives any kind of force that could induce any cracking.

Why would you not want to make it like the originals?

I do in most respects, but a lot of them seemed to have been slapped together...(ear gaps, brow height) I guess it's the "idealized vs screen accurate" philosophy.

But mostly it was wanting to make sure the integrity of the plastic wouldn't be compromised in that area. Your answer on that settles it, so I'll be filing away some more!

Thanks!

Yes, the originals were sometimes slapped together, but you can use the same methods of assembly and trimming but just pay more care to the work than they did, for a more finished look. Anyway, I'm glad I could be of any help. :)

that is impressive to nail that close one the first go. It will be personal preference but you can trim them down closer to the buck line and they will not have that "wavey" part around the outside from the moulds.

I did not do that on my first build because I was worried about gaps so as soon as I got them flush, I stopped. Now I will take them down to the buck lines and they look great.

It sounds like you are shooting for basic 501st approval with your build. I was in the same place when I started building my TK. I would encourage you to find that fine line between screen accuracy and living action figure. Keep a list of the Expert Infantry requirements close by during your build and check them off as you go. It is not hard to get if you start your build with EI in mind.

I can tell you from personal experience that its a great feeling knowing you are one of a few hundred who have taken their build to the next level and earned that award.

You clearly have patience so don't be afraid to have a go at hand painting your helmet. In the end it really does look cooler than the stickers and its one more thing to show off when people look at you suited up and their jaws drop. Good luck! post a TON of pictures bro. I'm re-living my helmet build through you right now.

that is impressive to nail that close one the first go. It will be personal preference but you can trim them down closer to the buck line and they will not have that "wavey" part around the outside from the moulds.

I did not do that on my first build because I was worried about gaps so as soon as I got them flush, I stopped. Now I will take them down to the buck lines and they look great.

It sounds like you are shooting for basic 501st approval with your build. I was in the same place when I started building my TK. I would encourage you to find that fine line between screen accuracy and living action figure. Keep a list of the Expert Infantry requirements close by during your build and check them off as you go. It is not hard to get if you start your build with EI in mind.

I can tell you from personal experience that its a great feeling knowing you are one of a few hundred who have taken their build to the next level and earned that award.

You clearly have patience so don't be afraid to have a go at hand painting your helmet. In the end it really does look cooler than the stickers and its one more thing to show off when people look at you suited up and their jaws drop. Good luck! post a TON of pictures bro. I'm re-living my helmet build through you right now.

Thanks Isaac, once I drilled the bottom holes it changed the fit slightly so I had to trim some more. I got them to where I'm happy with it.

As far as EIB, I think it's a great goal to set (maybe even centurion). I need to study the requirements further but I'm certainly up for the challenge!

Hand painted details is definitely the way to go for me and i hope to be getting to it later today or tomorrow...

Thanks again!

Build for centurion and study pictures of original armour, even add things not in centurion requirements. Don't use other peoples armour for reference, because that might make you do the same mistakes they did. If you do it this way, there's no limit to how good you can get. :)

Are there any templates for the tube stripes available for download? I know the placement should be about a pencil width down from the cheeck.

But I am not sure about the actual size of the stripes themselves and is there a certain number of stripes per tube needed for accuracy?

Any info is appreciated.

The teeth look much better. Here is a link to some tube stripes you can print then cut out and use as a template http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/14867-tube-stripe-masking-templates/ . I also would recomend building to EIB or even Centurion standards from the start, truly there is not that much extra work to do and as one who took this road and went from basic approval to EIB then to Centurion in under a week it was so rewarding. Keep up the good work :duim:

The teeth look much better. Here is a link to some tube stripes you can print then cut out and use as a template http://www.whitearmo...king-templates/ . I also would recomend building to EIB or even Centurion standards from the start, truly there is not that much extra work to do and as one who took this road and went from basic approval to EIB then to Centurion in under a week it was so rewarding. Keep up the good work :duim:

Thanks Glen, I appreciate the help!