Questioning Centurion CRL regarding Boots.

Hi all, I know I'm probably in the minority here, but I'm not trying to be controversial or start any trouble by posting this...

I plan to go for Centurion status in Feb when my new TK Stunt arrives, but the only thing I have an issue with is the boot criteria:

"Boots shall be lightly scuffed."

I want my TK to be 'factory fresh' as far as possible ( I don't mind weathering the blaster, as it's a prop and looks less like a toy if weathered), and I don't want to have to scuff up a brand new pair of TK Boots.

I know that Tantive IV troopers have scuffed boots, and that's probably where the rule came from, but the only reason they were scuffed was because they were wearing black jodphurs that had been painted white. Numerous takes would naturally scuff up the boots. Had white leather boots been available at the time, I'm sure they would've been used on all troopers and less scuffing would be shown on screen.

I just think that a trooper that is clean all over shouldn't be forced to wear scuffed boots that don't match his otherwise spotless armour.

I'm fully aware that there is a constant dichotomy between 'real' stormtroopers' and 'on screen' stormtroopers, and it's for us to decide whether we want to look like a soldier of the Empire (as if it were real) and an actor from Elstree in 1976. Although I like both disciplines, I would prefer to go with factory fresh shiny TK, as the 'Elstree '76' look with chipped HDPE lid etc., doesn't appeal to me as much, though I do applaud those troops who go the whole hog.

With that in mind, can you please tell me if I could attain Centurion status with clean boots? If so, could the requirement be amended for other troops who want to present a 'clean' look?

Something like:

"Boots can either be clean for 'parade' look, or lightly scuffed for battle-worn look."

I'm sure that within a matter of troops, the boots will naturally become scuffed, but to insist on it for Centurion status is (imho) a little too extreme.

Is this a fair request?

Edited by rapstertee

The additional levels are not so we look like 'real stormtroopers' but rather what we have to go on from the movies, so we become movie accurate troopers. Basic 501st allows for more freedom in how you want your armor to be. EIB restricts that some, and then centurion to a greater level. Since when costuming, we are imitating what we have seen on the screen, because in reality.. those are the only 'real' stormtroopers in the world. They weren't costuming, they weren't imitating, they were it. So the higher levels of accuracy reflect the only stormtroopers we know. they used black boots painted white, therefore scuffed is a good middle ground. It's better then requiring troopers who want centurion to have to find black jodpur and paint them white, which is the pinnacle of prop replication and screen accuracy.

It was my understanding that there were additional amendments to the CRL that were voted on and passed (http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/index.php?/topic/21460-Proposed-Amendments-to-the-Centurion-Requirements-?page__view__findpost__p__266358)

In that, the line regarding boots was:

Boots must either be worn or not and match condition of armour. Do not mix battle worn boots with pristine armour or the reverse.

I believe that the currently available CRL has yet to be updated to reflect these amendments. I was keen to see this one passed as I too wanted the "factory fresh" look for my build.

I am glad the requirements were changed as I also like the look of a clean armor and boots, if you want to look dirty become a Sandtrooper LOL

I am glad the requirements were changed as I also like the look of a clean armor and boots, if you want to look dirty become a Sandtrooper LOL

I'm sorry but I think you can hardly make the comparison between a sandtrooper and a few stripes on the boots of a clean TK. By that sentiment you might as well skip the hand painted helmet and get the clean look because the hand painted looks messy too. I mean, where's the end. I'd go with Derrek's statement and say scuffed is a nice middle ground.. personally I think it's too bad that it has been changed.

Edited by svache

I'm sorry but I think you can hardly make the comparison between a sandtrooper and a few stripes on the boots of a clean TK. By that sentiment you might as well skip the hand painted helmet and get the clean look because the hand painted looks messy too. I mean, where's the end. I'd go with Derrek's statement and say scuffed is a nice middle ground.. personally I think it's too bad that it has been changed.

Scuffed boots would also be approved. It's changed to safeguard against the two extreme cases where the boots could be very worn but the armour spotless. Or the other way around. Common sense will prevail.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Well, thanks for the replies. I'm glad to read that the CRL may be changed. My point is there should be an option for a totally clean TK. If the centurion reflects what's seen on screen, then frown mesh, for example, should be removed. As Ive been told, the TK's in that scene did not have frown mesh. Anyway, let's see what the powers that be say regarding scuffage!

just my 2 cents!

ive always been surprised that we all go such a long way for accuracy and then are allowed TK boots!

they were black chelsea boots in the film so why shouldnt they be the same for centurion?

Availability of accurate and decently priced boots mainly.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

My Centurion boots are so lightly scuffed as to appear pristine to the untrained eye. Any "light" scuffing comes from normal wear. Otherwise, they match the pristine uber shiny ultra glowing white fresh off the factory floor OCD polished look I like to have.

FYI: The proposed changes to the centurion requirements were voted on and passes here on the forum. They have not been added to the official CRL. The timeframe for those changes to be implemented, if at all, has not been finalized.

Please refer only to the CRLs as listed of the 501st.com web page for the most recent version:

www.501st.com/databank/Costuming:FISD_CRL

Aloha,

-Eric

Remember it's simply an achievement in costuming award. Nothing says you have to troop this way. You can always get a second pair of boots and troop 100% clean if you wish.

You can scuff them with some charchol dust or the like too, then clean it back off.

After several troops, the boots will have "natural" scuffing anyway.

It's nice to have a couple of pairs of boots to have a bit of a change around every now and then :)

When I've trooped my TK Boots I've just used a 'Crayola' crayon to give 'em that cracked paint crease effect. B)

You can do it as heavy or as light as you want and it stays in place but you also have the luxury of being able to just wipe the whole lot off without staining or harming the boots. I just touch 'em up when needed and away ya go!!

TKBootsCrayoncreases03.jpg.9c7eff99172886fe2b60631e4099a90e.jpg

TKBootsCrayoncreases01.jpg.4b15ee3098ff42c6adab4eb121ea38d7.jpg

:)

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated