Any current or former MMO players out there?

Plastic Soldier

Perhaps this thread already exists but I could not find it. Any current or former MMO players out there? If so, what did you play, do you still play, were you and are you now hard core or casual?

I have never been a drug addict but for several years MMO's were my addiction, MMORPG's to be precise. I discovered Ultima Online in 1997 and my world was never the same. I was in the Marines at the time and got a bunch of the guys who worked for or with me to join my guild. They did not have a choice, lol. We ran at first, a standard guild which became a pk guild then later an anti-pk guild. We liked the challenge and was good comraderie.

There were things about it that I were very wild west like compared to todays mmo's. You used to be able to kill people and take all of their stuff, loot their corpse and hack their body into pieces and then mount their head on the mantle of your home. You could be a pirate, raiding other ships while they were macroing and using a mild exploit to board their ship or get close and empty their cargo hold. You could go invisible and hide besides someones home and then stealth in and steal all of their belongings. The world was as you made it, no theme parks in UO. There was also a side of the game with strong community, lifelong friendships and even monuments erected in game for those who passed in real life, RIP Goodman.

Two years later I became a in-game counselor for UO and helped new players along in their gaming. I would like to think that I enriched their game experience and helped make their first mmo experience as magical as mine. You never forget your first mmo experience and nostalgia makes it hard to ever love another game as much as your first.

Enough of my UO life, I later played EQ1 and 2, SWG, WOW, SWTOR and tried a ton of others briefly. I miss playing with my little brother during UO and EQ1. That was our means of keeping in touch when I was in the military.

I am currently playing Guild Wars 2 on and off with my eye toward Darkfall 2.0: Unholy Wars. Now that I have a wife and kid along with more responsibility, my days of hardcore gaming have turned to casual and is now a gap filler between family, work, other hobbies and tv but I will always be scanning the horizon for the next big one.

Edited by Plastic Soldier

EQ1 -> WoW -> SWTOR -> TSW -> back to Panda WoW -> back to SWTOR PF2P

Tried some others, but not worth mentioning. I may re-sub back to SWTOR. But for now, PF2P is just fine.

I tried TSW, was OK but it tried to hard to break the MMO mould I thought, and really didn't manage it.

I'm from the old school so we got brought up on playing outside and getting dirtly, maybe I should become a santrooper LOL

Well, SWTOR is free play now, so I logged back in for a few minutes on the weekend. My character is still alive and rocking - LVL 50 sith : ) ...

I had previously cancelled my subscription...

Edited by YouCantBe Sidious

Did WoW for 5 years. *shudders*

Hey, Vanilla WoW was good and no shame in that. Friends keep you around for awhile sometimes too.

I'm from the old school so we got brought up on playing outside and getting dirtly, maybe I should become a santrooper LOL

I grew up outdoors, it wasn't until I was 18 that things went to gaming. I am from a farm in Georgia. My idea of fun was driving the go-cart down to the swamp then wading through it while shooting cottonmouths with the sawed off 20 gauge and picking off leaches. I did often take my Star Wars toys outside to play even shooting the ones that I thought were poorly cast with my bb gun.

EVE.

*bows* I played EVE awhile. You sir are hard core assuming you are in null sec, low sec or wormholes, pirating, etc. I guess there are carebear miners or high sec roamers in game but no one ever admits it, lol. To each their own. I used to get a big cargo ship and load it up slap full of goods and run through low sec just to shave a bit of time off my route. The main reason I did it is that it was fun evading death day after day. I gave up the game after gate camping with some pirates awhile. It was fun but I really felt like it would take me years to catch up to the guys in the big corps. I found the game economy and politics facinating, just wish the game could support the massive battles in zero sec better.

I used to play the following, not all at once of course.

Ultima Online

Asheron's Call

Anarchy Online

Star Wars Galaxies

WoW

I've tried a few others here and there over the years but not playing any now. Once and a while I'll log into something that's free to play but just not into MMO's these days.

*bows* I played EVE awhile. You sir are hard core assuming you are in null sec, low sec or wormholes, pirating, etc. I guess there are carebear miners or high sec roamers in game but no one ever admits it, lol. To each their own. I used to get a big cargo ship and load it up slap full of goods and run through low sec just to shave a bit of time off my route. The main reason I did it is that it was fun evading death day after day. I gave up the game after gate camping with some pirates awhile. It was fun but I really felt like it would take me years to catch up to the guys in the big corps. I found the game economy and politics facinating, just wish the game could support the massive battles in zero sec better.

We share the same experience of EVE :)

I thrived in wormhole space. I jumped in after the PI and anomaly scanning expansions. While the alliance I was in was small it was easy to manage security, but then we got bigger, war declarations every month, the morals deteriorated once we had to spread the message that we're not to be bugged with. Gate camping, personal vendettas, paying mercs... I felt it went too far and we weren't even safe in wormhole space anymore.

So now I'm an ammo supplier in Dodixie for until my capital ship skills are ready :)

I played some MMO's a loooooooooong time ago, forgot the names lol, it's been too long.

Last year I wanted to give it a shot again with SWTOR but I gave up on that after several months as I got really bored by the game, and never even thought about playing MMO's again, I was too disappointed. Now, however, I actually re-installed SWTOR last night and decided I want to give it a shot again sometime this week or the next, just to see if there is any improvement and if I should cancel my subscription (had it running all year long without even thinking about it, talk about a waste of money lol).

I tested SW:TOR and loved it, saw it improve over time... enjoyed it mostly for the first few months, then realized it has ZERO capacity for social fun other than partying which is not truly social, and now raiding, which never appealed to me. I may or may not reactivate my account. Honestly I have 500 other things I'd rather be doing with my time.

Previously I played Galaxies... dabbled in WoW but didn't really ever get into it. Let's see... crap I can barely remember anything I'm getting so old. I played beta for a lot of MMOs like that LOTR suck.

Back in the day, when time mattered not and nobody had a job right out of college anyway... I played ImagiNation Network - Shadows of Yserbius and ... and Red Baron Flying Aces or wtf it was called. There were some other games, and a lot of MOOs and MUDS, but now I barely remember anything.

Not the first time in the past three days that I've mentioned: My INN guild is STILL AROUND and vying for a Guinness record.

My first MMO was UO. My dad bought it for me Christmas of 1997 because he thought it sounded 'different', which it was! :) It's still my all-time favorite MMO. I was on the Sonoma server, and played on OSI servers for about ten years. I occasionally still dabble in the UO Hybrid player-made shard.

SWG is also one of my favorites. I loved the skill system. The guild city element was awesome! I played that for a long time, until they nerfed it and released the combat upgrade and the NGE.

WWII Online was another one I loved! It was buggy as hell, but I couldn't get enough of it!

Edited by Desto

I love mmorpgs! I played The Realm for a few years. It was a little side scrolling game from Sierra I think. After that I started EQ 1 since day one. Then I got invited to Star Wars galaxies beta 1! It was awesome I got to test the game with all the actual developers. I think there were only about 20 of us beta testing it. I tried out a few in between all those but never got too into any of them. Then I switched to Wow. I played that until the first expansion, then stopped until WotLK came out. Now I still play. It's a lot less time consuming now, so you don't have to play 4 hours a day to make progress.

• 3 weeks later...

I still play SWTOR, but had played Lineage 2, EQ2, Lord of the Rings, which I may play again, and Star Trek. Just finding the time these day to play any type of game is difficult. I got Assassin's Creed 3 for Christmas and I am yet to play it.

I've been wondering if the boredom factor in SW:TOR is that it is too much a detailed story, and not enough open play to just make your own story. I think after level 10 I could have been done with all that story stuff and gone exploring and making my own way in the galaxy. No wonder we all got bored. But once you choose a path at level 0 you're stuck on it through level 50 or whatever. And having other players on the server with you doesn't make an MMO, imho... social interaction and freedom to choose is what makes the Multiplayer sing.

I've been playing MMO's for over a decade. I started with EQ then to WoW and SW:TOR. Oddly enough I never played SW Galaxies. I totally agree that ToR is missing the right aspects for social interaction. Bioware totally missed the boat on that one. They focused on the single player story which as you say is fun to a point, but depending on how much you like to play RPG's can get old fast. I played through the bounty hunter class to 50 and raided with my guild. We had a good go of it, but it was clear the game has a lot of issues as an MMO.

Like I said on the previous page, I did start SWTOR again, kind of to see what to think about it, if I should cancel my subscription or if I could be attracted by it again.. well, after bringing my trooper to level 14 or so I got kind of bored by it again.. I should cancel my subscription I guess lol