The journey into nerdom... did you always wear it proudly?

Plastic Soldier

Ingrid, Lady in White, made a comment on another post about her "coming out of the nerd closet" about 10 years ago.I wondered how many of us shared a similar story. Thanks for sharing that Ingrid.

I would say I have always been a nerd. geek, sci-fi/ comic connoisseur, however you want to label it. While being passionate about these things, I always was embarrassed to let people know, at least the people who were not into this stuff. I even got to the point where I felt pressured by society to "grow up" and leave comics and some of the ultra nerdy stuff behind. At least that how I perceived it in my mind. I just felt that is what people do so I didn't touch a comic book for 18 years or attend any conventions, etc. I went from hobby to hobby never quite finding one to replace my childhood passions. In the last decade or two I have tried about twenty hobbies.

After I had a daughter I started thinking about how I wanted to raise her and what lessons I wanted her to learn. Did I want her to feel like she had to hide who she was like I did? No, definitely not. I decided to do something about it so I bought a four day pass to comic con, my first con, to finally live out a childhood dream. That was one of the best things I have ever done.

When I arrived at comic con it was a real eye opener. It was staggering the amount of people there that were just like I was and proud of it. I had this moment of realization that I had found what i had been missing for a long time, found my people if you will. I met some of the 501st there and the rest is history. I will never look back and feel like I am finally home.

I now can wear Star Wars t-shirts in public and am proud to do so. I own comics once again and have a great bunch of 501st members to hang out with and that share my love of Star Wars so life is good. Having a very supportive and patient wife helps much of course.

Perhaps I am long winded and share too much but wondered if anyone else had a story like that.

Edited by Plastic Soldier

I've always been very proud of my geeky / nerdy side and always been very open about it but, I suppose, I'm lucky in that most people don't perceive me that way initially. I'm as open about my fetish lifestyle, published erotica photography and my sexuality as I am about my comics and starwars figure collection.

I've always had the view that if I'm open about everything, the people that stay as my friends, are the worthwhile ones.

I must admit I am a closet nerd, didn't really tell people about my hobby allthough they new I collected a lot of scifi merchandise. Trying to explain about making blasters when a few freinds had seem them haning up drying, they kinda looked at me and said "we would never have thought you where a nerd", what a compliment LOL

being in my 50's and a sci fi fan since childhood I was branded a 'geek' back when that was an insult. starting with Elvis presley, his white jumpsuit was my first official costume as a child of 7 or 8. my family was in the record store biz and we lived in las vegas at the time. was interesting going to a few elvis concerts wearing the jumpsuit. got lot's of attention from waiters, and fans in line.

I have a photo and I'll share that soon:

then I moved on to Star Trek, my first costume was a mirror mirror kirk.

also have a photo, and that will also go up.

after that I did some logan's run sandman costumes, a ripped up movie version, a robe, and finally the full sandman costume with follower and gun.

in 1976-1978 I went to conventions all across california to showcase my interest in costuming. I thought I might be able to meet other art minded people and really wanted to study film and special effects.

I met the original authors of the book logan's run, and had the chance to sit and talk with george clayton johnson for about 2 hours, all alone sitting on the floor. had the chance to shoot an original 'bill blake' sandman gun... we had to do it in the bathroom to keep the fire marshall at bay!

when Star Wars hit theaters I made a deal with the manager of the place, and I went in different costumes for most of the summer as part of our deal.

the deal was- wear a costume and get in free, simply stand outside and entertain the line of moviegoers. and buy snack bar food.

I was hooked. then don post made the worst helmets ever, and we all hated them!

my best piece ever was an original screen used battlestar galactica blaster. 75$ back in 1981

what a steal!

now I'm hip deep in 4 suits of armor. star wars is my home now.

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

It's kind of interesting that you mention it. My best friends throughout school were all pretty geeky--we liked Magic: the Gathering, anime (before it was cool), Star Wars and all that jazz. I met my wife in seventh grade, and she was big into SW as well. So for me, it's never been an issue of be being "in the closet" or "out." Naturally, my brothers and parents (all are into cars, hunting, football and such) thought I was weird, and perhaps I was. I kind of wore it like a badge of honor, because I liked it. There was some pressure, but my brothers are MUCH older than me (15 and 13 years, respectively) so they weren't around to badger me about it.

The wedding day: we had a 3-tier wedding cake, with the three main couples from SW as toppers. Anakin/Padme, Han/Leia and Luke/Mara Jade. We thought it was awesome, and everybody that came to the wedding knew what we were like, so they said things like "Well, that's certainly Jeff and Becky's style." We had a video that had Across the Stars playing in the background. The guy from her neighborhood was doing music, and played the SW theme after the reception just for us.

The day I finished my armor: My wife's family came over to see it, because they're all pretty SF-savvy. I've had it for about two years now, and my family still hasn't seen it, because they wouldn't appreciate it. If they ever asked to see it, I would put it on for them, but none of them have shown any interest so far. Yet.

So that's my journey. If my kids ever feel embarrassed; or anybody for that matter, I like to recite the mantra that "The people that mind don't matter, and the people that matter don't mind." It might seem trite in a lot of circumstances, but I think it fits well in this case.

Sorry for rambling. I have a lot of downtime at work lately.

I am soooo passionate about Star Wars, the 501st Legion, and FISD! I think I catch people off guard when I share. :lol: I've always been passionate about life! I am me, I won't apologize. My openess and honesty has pushed some away, over the years. I was a bit of a "loner" growing up. :( Those who chose to stick around where rewarded with a

rare and true friend, indeed! ;) Sometimes, people look at me so strangely when I bring up being a Stormtrooper. :blink: Add the fact that I am a professional belly dancer and a Holistic Health Practitioner... You can imagine some of the conversations that I've held with people. :laugh1: I wear many hats! :smiley-sw013: I am proud! Those people who care to spend the time are as rewarded as I am to get to know them. :duim: I also feel, after only my first year in the Legion, I have met some of the raddest people! I am fortunate and blessed!

So I walked into a Sr VP's office today as he was apologizing for running late for our meeting. I said, "I have several thousands stormtroopers around the world waiting with bated breath for my every tweet, so no worries." He and his assistant laughed.

Yep, no closet any more. In fact, with the acquisition of Star Wars by Disney, it is the biggest badge of honor one can wear around my office.

My husband often has meetings in which someone brings up issues of nerd-dom, and I win even when I'm not there. For example, we saw a screening of The Hobbit a weeks early (yes I'm bragging, thank you) and some people were jealous and said "you can't take your wife! she won't appreciate it!" and my husband said, "you haven't met my wife, have you?"

The guild I started in INN 20 years ago is still running in every MMO. Granted I'm not in it any more, but I'm wicked proud of it! (New OutRiders, in case you're wondering.)

Matt and I will soon be besties, as we clearly have similar stories.

I have never, ever been what I now refer to as "mainstream." My mother is very mainstream and never really "got" me - why wouldn't I wear dresses or play with Barbies like other girls? Why did I want a D&D knight costume instead of a witch or princess for Halloween? What is this spaceship crap I'm reading? But for a long, long time I tried to be mainstream. I tried to "grow up" and I tried to pretend to be "normal."

It's okay, I got her to put my TK lid on one day and she is coming around. It's okay not to be mainstream now. Geek is cool. Nerd is cool. Sir Richard Branson is cool. My eclectic obscure Star Wars t-shirt collection is cool (and I wear a SW tee almost every day to work!).

And this is my home, and you are all my peeps. All hail!

My eclectic obscure Star Wars t-shirt collection is cool (and I wear a SW tee almost every day to work!).

And this is my home, and you are all my peeps. All hail!

I thought it was just me with a t-shirt obsession, I'm a nerd, yay and I'm a peep too. I think Big Bang Theory may have little something to do with geeks starting to be a bit cool also, yes I know they are not scifi, but they are geeky about it :laugh1:

I have been too busy lately to comment much on these but I am happy all of you posted. Many of us have different stories but we all come together as brothers and sisters and share a common passion, our love of Star Wars and helping others. What an honor for me to associate with people who do so much good and live life with such passion. I will revisit this topic soon.

Hmm, my story is a bit different I guess. Growing up, and all through school, I was a science fiction geek. My dad was really into Star Wars and Star Trek...I'd watch all the movies and shows with him. I had my own Star Wars toys, which was considered out of the female gender sterotype at the time. I remmebr the boys in my neighborhood not letting me play video games because they were not for girls LOL. Still, I was not a tomboy at all... I'd just rather play Han Solo and Leia than Ken and Barbie. College and beyond was not much of a social life....I was shy and awkward, a bit overweight, frizzy hair and big glasses :) Rather than going out, I'd stay home and read books....I guess it was one of my roommates who triggered the makeover for me...she got me into fitness, eating right and working out. As I got in better shape I wanted to get nicer outfits, and then went blonde, got contacts, makeup, all of that....I got a job as a Hooters girl and really worked to overcome my shyness. (Those who have met me will tell you I am much more reserved and quiet in person than I am here) With that, my social life improved too :)

So now, I guess I am not recognized as a geek because of my look, but I still enjoy video games and sci fi, i still read alot, and love all you Star Wars guys and girls. I would still consider myself a geek though!

Julie

• 4 weeks later...

I grew up never hiding my nerdiness. I grew up reenacting as well as loving comics and star wars and as i got older i would do living history's for my history class or bring in pieces of equipment to show my class. Alot made fun of me for it but usually after handling the stuff or actually attending a reenactment they tended to stop. I was that kid who usually had a star wars shirt on and would openly read a star wars book or history book in my free time at school and it bothered me when i got made fun of but i couldn't hide who i was since i wasn't ashamed of my passion.

I was a bit self-conscious about starting the road to joining the 501st, but I got over it very quickly :). There was the eye-roll (but full support) from my wife, and my kiddos love that their Dad is a Stormtrooper. I had a few "WTF?" comments from friends when pictures from Trooping started showing up on my Facebook page, but I can't help but think they had a smile on their face when they first saw them :). Funny, when out & about at social gatherings, it is usually my Wife who brings up my "hobby" - and it is surprising to meet people whose significant others, relatives, or friends are Rebel Legion or 501st in other cities/states.