TIP: How to Keep Records of Your Troops

LadyInWhite

Keeping a record of the millions of deployments you volunteer for is easy.

Simply make a photo album in your computer, and for each event, make sub-folder with the date and a brief event name. Collect any pictures your troopmates post or that you or your personal wrangler took and keep them in the folder.

Now you have a date and the good memories, too!

Trooping+Photos.jpg

If you don't have photos of your own, shortly after the event, search FB, twitter, Instagram and Pinterest (and whatever other sites you like to peruse) for possible public photos. Sometimes I do this just with "stormtrooper" or sometimes with possible hashtags (#). I'm not always successful but it's fun to see all the junk out there anyway.

Never thought of doing this for troopings (using my calendar for this) but I like it, good idea! But can I make a suggestion about the folder names?

When I store pictures, I usually store the folders in their own years, after that, the picture folders are similar as yours but like this:

"YYYY-MM-DD - Name of event"

When you do it this way, it will always be in order of date taken :)

Of course, if you have lots of pictures (I actually did it this way during some years), it might be advisable to even do have separate folders of the months (still I would name the folders themselves like in my example above, also always with double digits (this because you might see 10-19 before 2 but never before 02.. and yes, you can just do 2 digits instead of 4 for years, I doubt any of us will still be trooping when the year 2100 comes around lol).

Edit: lol I just realize my tip is actually only good for those in Europe and other places where the normal way of doing it is DD-MM-YYYY, you have it MM-DD-YY, the US way of having the date, and then it is already ordered.. soooo ok, for those who have the month always first, disregard most of my post above.. if you're from Europe, it might still be good to think about :P hahaha ;)

Edited by svache

Our garrison does similar idea ... we have a shared photobucket account and after troops all the images are uploaded to pretty much that exact folder structure, then our garrison webpage has a link for anyone who may of got a picture with a trooper taken to look at the images

We have something close too. We have a gallery and calendar that have events pictures and it shows who was at that event and all we have to do is upload are photos to are garrison website and then they approve the pictures for others too see. We also get points for trooping for advancement too.

Edited by Dark Trooper

On the Star Garrison page we track our troops in a thread named the "Death Star Initiative" - for X number of troops you get a certain level of recognition (an avatar that changes color depending on your level). The entry level for the avatar is Level 1, which you have to have 20 troops to achieve. I am one shy of my Lvl 1 cert...with nothing on the calendar for the rest of 2012. So close! But, 2013 already has several events, so it's all good :)

I've been doing this exact thing for years. Here's a tip tho--DO NOT keep these files on your computer! Put them on a flashdrive or on some other external back up. If they are on your computer--one crash or virus and you could lose them all.

I not only do the file storing but I still take my files to Walgreens and get them actually printed. Several years ago I went and bought several 500 count matching photo albums. I still like to look at photo albums (yeah, I'm oldschool), and since I bought several books I've got enough empty space in them to last the rest of my life.

Edited by Laspector