Other Sci-fi?

darthyagi

So I got to wondering today: do you nerd out to any other sci-fi? My wife and I have watched a lot of Star Trek: all the movies, all of TOS, TNG, about half of DS9, we'v watched all of Stargate, X-Files, and most recently (and foremost of these) Doctor Who.

So I started wondering: does anybody else nerd out to these things? I would assume so, but to what extent? I've considered making a big box that we got a stroller in into a TARDIS for my son, and dressing him up in his church clothes.

How far does your other sci-fi fandom go?

Are you exclusive to Star Wars?

Are you still reading this?

What is the answer to life, the universe and everything?

I'm going to learn wood sculpting using lots of dremel tips and bondoing, to make Mass Effect heavy pistols from scratch, and maybe a mass relay while practicing. I really like Mass Effect. I don't feel like wearing a soft foam costume though and it seems the cosplaying community haven't started vaccuforming hard armors for Mass Effect, which I have no tools or skills to do myself.

Pretty much any scifi for me, Star Trek of course and all of them, well after Next Gen it was downhill for me, old stuff like Space 1999 , early and late Battle Star Galactica and some early UK shows, Blakes 7, UFO, like I said pretty much anything I will give a go. I am a NERD, but I will be a cool Nerd as there is nothing cooler than living a childhood dream and becoming a stromtrooper :smiley-sw013:

What is the answer to life, the universe and everything?

"42"

I watch almost everything sci fi; very fond of Trek in all incarnations; but I never knew what to make out of The Doctor.

Oh, And Stargate: Universe sucked!

Too bad they cancelled Terra Nova, aswell

Edited by Sonnenschein

I enjoy Firefly, Resident Evil movies ( not acting or story but the world and character of Alice), pretty much any good sci-fi book or movie. I am a sucker for any good world building which is one thing I find appealing about sci-fi. so many world building opportunites to be had when dealing with a whole galaxy or universe.

My second love next to Star Wars is Ridley Scott's/ Giger, Alien and Aliens by James Cameron and even Scott's work on Prometheus to a slightly lesser degree. Not as much into the rest of the films. I have a display of the Alien Queen and some other memorabilia for now but hope to one day aquire some screen used pieces. My collection is just in its infacy but will grow to staggering levels one day between Star Wars and Alien I think. I have been honing my sculpting skills so one day I can create some pieces of my own.

The closest thing to a prop I have now is the giant art edition of Alien: The Illustrated Story signed by Walt Simonson, which drew all the panels and worked on set of the original film briefly. I met him at NYCC and got some time to sit down and talk with him a few minutes about his work on the movie and being on set. It was a treasured moment for me and I have always loved that movie. I was falling off the edge of my seat watching it for the first time. Alien scared the crap out of me when I was a kid, which I liked, that is when you know you are the most alive.

I have a propensity towards strong female characters which is partly what intrigues me with Alien's Ridley, Resident Evil's Alice and Star Wars' Leia. There is probably some pyschological explantion for that but we don't need to go there. :)

Edited by Plastic Soldier

I definitely love Star Trek the original series, I grew up watching reruns of it when I was a kid and remember seeing all of the movies in the theaters when they came out. In fact, my dad built a large scale Enterprise that was used in a McDonalds commercial when the first movie came out.

I enjoyed the new Battlestar Galactica series a lot. I watched a couple episodes of Dr. Who but it didn't move me at all and was a bit cheesy for me to continue on.

I love a lot of Sci Fi! All the Star Trek series, All of the Stargate series, All of the Galactia Series, Firerfly, Lord of the Rings and I'm going to see the Hobbit Tonight!!!!

WHAT?!?! No mention of Buck Rogers?!?!? I'm shocked, troopers. :shok: I just recently found it on Netflix. LOVED the first season. Second season.... I understand why it was cancelled. Never really cared for Trek. My parents both watched it, but I didn't really get into it. Love BSG, old and new.

WHAT?!?! No mention of Buck Rogers?!?!? I'm shocked, troopers. :shok: I just recently found it on Netflix. LOVED the first season. Second season.... I understand why it was cancelled. Never really cared for Trek. My parents both watched it, but I didn't really get into it. Love BSG, old and new.

I loved Buck Rogers when I was a kid. Erin Gray was always a favorite and she still does conventions, a pretty cool person to chat with is the impression I get.

I like BSG too but my absolute favorite thing about the show is this ship. My favorite ship in all of sci-fi.

2j0h8hu.jpg

When I was young, my father introduced me to great shows on TV that we would watch as a family: BSG, Buck Rogers, Wonder Woman, The Incredible Hulk, The Bionic Woman, Six Million Dollar Man, the whole nine yards. I'm sure I'm forgetting something in here. Guess who took me to see that weird new space adventure movie at the local theater...

My parents divorced and I only lived with him in the summers after that. He handed over the Chronicles of Narnia, The Hobbit, and the Lord of the Rings trilogy, and many other classics. By the sixth grade I was the most well-read nerd in existence - well, at least among girls.

Later in life I discovered Trek, Who, comics, etc. I never really liked Stargate or Babylon 5. I loved SF games like Wing Commander and Fallout. I didn't much get into Mass Effect but I like some of the characters. I have an obsession with science, physics, and biological weapons (that make zombies), the apocalypse and post-apocalypse societies, and all that jazz. About a decade ago, I stopped trying to hide my inner nerd. I came out of the nerd closet. Ironically, this surprised my dad. He, who created this monster!

I don't actually like my father and have a lot of baggage, but the intro to SF/Fantasy is the one good, positive thing I have always felt; it may be our only bond.

When I was young, my father introduced me to great shows on TV that we would watch as a family: BSG, Buck Rogers, Wonder Woman, The Incredible Hulk, The Bionic Woman, Six Million Dollar Man, the whole nine yards. I'm sure I'm forgetting something in here. Guess who took me to see that weird new space adventure movie at the local theater...

My parents divorced and I only lived with him in the summers after that. He handed over the Chronicles of Narnia, The Hobbit, and the Lord of the Rings trilogy, and many other classics. By the sixth grade I was the most well-read nerd in existence - well, at least among girls.

Later in life I discovered Trek, Who, comics, etc. I never really liked Stargate or Babylon 5. I loved SF games like Wing Commander and Fallout. I didn't much get into Mass Effect but I like some of the characters. I have an obsession with science, physics, and biological weapons (that make zombies), the apocalypse and post-apocalypse societies, and all that jazz. About a decade ago, I stopped trying to hide my inner nerd. I came out of the nerd closet. Ironically, this surprised my dad. He, who created this monster!

I don't actually like my father and have a lot of baggage, but the intro to SF/Fantasy is the one good, positive thing I have always felt; it may be our only bond.

I also grew up watching all of those shows but my father and mother never were interested, too bad.

Well, I decided to give Doctor Who another shot. I watched the Doctor when I was a kid, the big curly haired fellow with the bright, long, rainbow scarf, the fourth Doctor I think. I enjoyed it but for the life of me could not remember his story. I googled "jumping on point for Doctor Who" and found this article. http://www.tor.com/b...-two-easy-steps

It was an excellent article for people wanting to like the show but find it too weird and confusing like I did. I have also found that I really have a preference for certain Doctors so if you didn't like one, try another. I didn't care for the 9th Doctor much and he almost turned me off to the show but I have to say, the 10th is much better, at least is my preference. I hear the 11th is pretty good as well.

The linked article will start you with the 10th Doctor and explains what a Time Lord is, does, rules he follows, etc. I watched the two part arc they mentioned and the episode after it so far. I found the weeping angels episode really cool, creepy and I highly recommend that one. Anyway, I found all seasons on Netflix, which is included with the $7 download only monthly package if anyone wants to check it out.