Advice on iComm noise

hey everyone,

Looking for some advice. I have an iComm + akar amp. both mounted in my chest piece and wired to a small mic in my helm, you can see a pic here:

-----------

I really don't want to use it with push to talk, one less thing to think about but I'm finding that it pops and does the noises almost continually, regardless of what I'm doing. Furthermore, my voice doesn't appear to come through the amp unless I literally yell (at which point it comes out the helm as well!). The static seems incredibly loud compared to my voice as well, if I turn the amp up to hear the voice, it's just daft, I really couldn't walk round like that, it leaves my ears ringing!

Not sure if I've missed some setting or something to balance the voice with effects?

Any advice welcome

Thank you.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

I would try the aker and icomm away from each other, may not change but worth a try. I know with my cheapy setup I had to try a different mic when I converted to push to talk. Could just be picking up a feed back pulse from when you push the switch, try a different swith too, anything cheap is worth trying first. Good luck

Maybe just try them away from each other first, if that fixes your problem then try to find a place to relocate :D

I have an iComm + akar amp. both mounted in my chest piece and wired to a small mic in my helm

I'm finding that it pops and does the noises almost continually, regardless of what I'm doing.

Im getting the same issue as above with the same set up although im using the headset that came with the amp. It seems to pick up any noise near me and gives me the static

burst and yes I have the white line by the mic piece facing my mouth, I know there is no sensitivity rating so somethings up, im gona try a diffent mic next time.

This afternoon I also decided to try the original mic, just to check (the one in my lid is an Olympus ME 52) with pretty much identical results, except that as it was on my lips more or less, my voice slightly came throguh better. That said, it's still totally drowned out by the static.

I use the Icomm and Aker as well with the supplied mic. I have the Icomm velcroed inside my chest with the Aker hanging from my neck behind the Armor for right now. I use the voice activation setting because I didn't want anymore wires hanging around, especially one going all the way down to my hand. I pretty much have the mic inside my balaclava right against my mouth. I noticed that the static burst was really loud compared to my voice, but there's nothing that can really be done. My Icomm and Akbar are only inches apart and seem to work just fine. I only wish I could turn the static burst sound down a little. My Akar sits just at the start of the ab plate, I would try separating your setup a little to see if that helps.

I do you the ptt and I have noticed that the vox isn't working now when I wanted to use it a week ago, it only is working on ptt. I'm not sure what changed but I suspect one of the commponents may have been affected by moisture. You may try the ppt and see if it works better. If it doesn't, it may be an amp problem and you may want to send Jim an email to get some additonal advice.http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/14832-fs-imperial-communication-system-icomm/

Depends on how much you have used this mic but I have read they do not like moisture. Still sounds like a feedback problem between the icomm and aker

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, static is loud. Always try the system buckets off before installing / glueing. Ask yourself "how close do I want the ME52 ideally?".

Well, very close. Depending on your head and bucket space you will have little freedom of choice. Most people have the headset mike against the lips almost. To me the top of the vocoder is too far, so I installed another place for it. Plus, decrease surface contact with the helmet to avoid vibration noise getting picked up.

IMAG0757_edit.jpg

Rule of thumb: if you can lick it, you got it the right place.

Also learn the frequency response of the microphone, icomm and speaker: what pitch gets through the loudest. It's not always about yelling.

I would recommended anyone using an ME52 to embrace this mounting solution ASAP because one day you will forget to unplug before removing the helmet entirely and need a glue gun when you don't have any. When I forget to unplug the mike comes off before anything breaks.

Edited by Nicky

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds like this could be a common problem

I've been a bit lax in my testing but it's not improving, no matter what I do. Also, recently, a thread was started on the UKG forums about this exact problem, from members I don't even know - the same uber loud static and so on.

I've been a bit lax in my testing but it's not improving, no matter what I do. Also, recently, a thread was started on the UKG forums about this exact problem, from members I don't even know - the same uber loud static and so on.

Kevin,

At any point you can decide that your best course of action is to return the gear that you purchased from me for a refund. Then you can use those funds to purchase something that you would be happier with. I want you to be happy with gear you purchase and I want it to work well for you.

I want to help and I will keep trying. I will explain in detail how the icomm was designed to work so that it may help you with the setup.

I am an active 501st member and fellow stormtrooper. I developed the aker voice amplifiers for costume use because i wanted something better and less expensive than what was available at the time i started. I looked long and hard before i found the right product and I took a few leaps of faith to get there. I took the same approach with the icomm. I wanted to develop something that was plug and play, had simple setting or no settings, had random static burst, VOX, PTT, was protected, and most importantly was $100 or less. I am not an electronic wizard so i found someone else who was a expert to partner with. It took about a year but we did it. I also worked with 5 other experienced troopers to provide us with feedback and testing during the development process.

In order to keep the costs down and to keep the operation simple we decided not to add in a static burst volume adjuster. We had found that most troopers never adjusted the static burst volume on the other sound effect cards that were available. Adding that ability would have added another 40-50% to the cost of the system. So we decided to not add that feature. What we did instead was utilize the 5 testers to give us feedback on the static burst volume. At one point they told us it was not loud enough so it was increased. I was not in favor at the time of that but we choose to listen to our testers.

Now here is the important part to the testing. It was done with an Aker MR1506 voice amplifier and done using the Aker headset microphone. The aker mic is highly directional to control feedback. The aker mic has an opening that must face your mouth and be about 1 inch or less away from your mouth. The aker mic opening is marked by a white line on the mic tip. So the white line must face your mouth. I do have customers (none costume customers) that have issues controlling feedback. I do my best to coach them on trying different microphone positions in relation to the position of the amp/speaker. Basically, I I explain that I can take an aker mic and position it so that it faces my mouth, face the amp an arm length away facing away from my mouth, turn the volume to maximum, and have no issues with feedback. I can then bring that amp to within a few inches of the mic without feedback. However, at a few inches away the slightest turn of the mic or the amp will make it scream with feedback. On a side note, feedback is the result of the microphone picking up the sound of the amp. The sound is then amplified in an ever increasing loop and what you hear is the screech of feedback.

Now why is this important for the iComm? If using only an aker amp then the mic is always on. If you position the mic away from your mouth you won't hear your voice and you will likely have issue with feedback. So it is easy to learn the right way to place the mic if using just an amp. If using the icomm you have built in VOX (voice activation) or PTT (push to talk) so the mic is not live until it is activated. In the case of the VOX the mic will pick up any sound from the direction it faces. If it faces your mouth then it picks up your voice. If it faces your armor it can pick up armor movement. So learning to use the amp/mic by itself is good practice before adding the icomm.

Now you add in the static burst volume. It has been set to be the same volume of an average trooper speaking into an aker mic with the mic facing your mouth and within an inch of your mouth. If the mic is facing the opposite direction then your voice will barely be heard while the static burst is still at a normal volume. I have had many new customers report having this problem to me. Almost all of the time the problem is solved by adjusting the mic position. Which is why that is my typical response and how i responded to your questions.

Keep in mind that the icomm is a custom fabricated electronic. It will have issues and is by no means perfect. I always try to make it right by my customers. if there is a problem I will fix it or replace it. If they just don't like it or don't want it then I accept a return and refund payment. I answer every direct email or PM within 24 hours or less 365 days a year. I am available by phone or text message as well. I enjoy talking to other troopers and helping them with their gear. I do not answer forum postings very often because i am not aware of all of them nor do i monitor every forum. So if you have a problem please contact me. If I don't respond within 24 hours then i likely did not receive the message so try contacting me using another method.

I always recommend that customers use an Aker voice amplifier with the aker mic when using the icomm. If someone buys just the iComm from me then that is the first question i ask before i ship the icomm. "do you already have an aker voice amplifier?" My reasons for this are simple, the icomm was made and set-up to work with the aker amp and mic. If anything else is used i can't promise it will work as designed. The exception is the memorex wireless headset microphone kit. That works with the aker/icomm combo but i still recommend that the aker mic be used with the Memorex transmitter. The aker mics wear out just like any other corded product. So if yours is broken or not working right then contact me. I sell them to troopers at my cost and often I replace them for free depending on where i am shipping too.

That is probably more than the answer you were looking for but i had the impression you are looking for more detail. I plan on posting this response on your whitearmor positing as well so others can benefit from the detailed explanation. Please feel free to share in other forums.

Best Regards,

Jim

TKProductsLLC@gmail.com

Edited by TK6294
  • Like 1

I always recommend that customers use an Aker voice amplifier with the aker mic when using the icomm. If someone buys just the iComm from me then that is the first question i ask before i ship the icomm. "do you already have an aker voice amplifier?" My reasons for this are simple, the icomm was made and set-up to work with the aker amp and mic. If anything else is used i can't promise it will work as designed. The exception is the memorex wireless headset microphone kit. That works with the aker/icomm combo but i still recommend that the aker mic be used with the Memorex transmitter. The aker mics wear out just like any other corded product. So if yours is broken or not working right then contact me. I sell them to troopers at my cost and often I replace them for free depending on where i am shipping too.

That is probably more than the answer you were looking for but i had the impression you are looking for more detail. I plan on posting this response on your whitearmor positing as well so others can benefit from the detailed explanation. Please feel free to share in other forums.

Best Regards,

Jim

TKProductsLLC@gmail.com

Just want to throw my 2 credits in here and say Jim is really awesome. I've only dealt with him on one transaction for the aker, icomm and wireless memorex. I had a problem with the memorex receiver not powering on via batter and let him know. He responded within 24 hours and shipped out a new one free of any charge a couple days after Christmas.

I don't know what my experience is worth to other troopers but from what I can tell Jim is a standup dude that cares a lot about his customers.

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses. Just to clear something up, so nothing gets out of hand - I am not in anyway suggesting the company, or Jim, are in any way unprofessional or trying to fob me off. I have a problem, as do others and regardless of how we fix it, the makers have been nothing but helpful to me from initial purchase right through to my mails and this post.

Yup Jim is a super cool dude. I accidently received the wrong AMP when ordering, I contacted him, and he got back to me in less than 24hours, and had a new one in the mail that day. I received it a few days after xmas too. To those who think of complaining, please remember Jim is most likely just like one of a us (a fan) and took his time, money and resources to give the ST community probably the most important piece that makes a storm trooper (cool robot voice) out of his own time to try and give back. For me even if this was a bad product (which is NOT) Jim has been a stand up guy, not that it would not matter.

Thanks again Jim for your help. I will be sure to post up my set up once it’s fully complete. (if need my smaller bucket before I start to set up)

Edited by mr0072003

All is well between Kevin and I and I am giving him as much help as i can. I just want to make sure that anyone that buys from me knows that i will do all i can to help if there is a issue. There are too many companies nowadays that abandon customers once they make a sale. I never want to be like that or be known for that. As a result sometimes i get a bit defensive.

In this case i think the mic position is key (based on the original photo). I think It need to be pointed at the mouth and within an inch of the mouth. Otherwise the icomm just won't work right. The static burst will be way too loud in comparison to the voice.

• 1 year later...