My project: from a TM kit to a Tantive IV Boarding Party Stormtrooper

Slowly working to get this don, now have all the arms parts done and the calves/shins.

Now moving into the thighs and then the strapping. And detailing.

Bucket will come after that.

So... Here is another picture.

Posted Image

Hope you like it.

Saludos.

So...

Any thoughts on painting the TKboots black and then painting them white again?

:)

Saludos.

Juan

No need to paint 'em mate, just do some creative weathering and they'll look the part. That's what I did to my ones that I wear when I'm not trooping the Bad-Boy 1090-B's B)

TKBootsCrayoncreases03.jpg

TKBootsCrayoncreases01.jpg

Crayola crayons and black acrylic paint works a treat,....and you can clean or dirty them up as much as you like and you won't harm the boots :)

....or just do as Paul said, get some good looking black ones and paint 'em up.

Yes, I would definitely rather find a pair of original boots, but have been checking ebay for months and also every single shoe store I pass by and no luck yet.

I do want to have the chipped/scuffed painted black under white look for my build, but I am afraid that black paint would wear off too and expose the base white layer. So... wondering what have others done before, and also, hear some expert advice from you guys!

Thx a lot... 

Will keep an eye open for the real boots and will think about what to do with my TKboots a little more.

Saludos

Have worked on the shins and one thigh.

Drilled the holes for the strapping and started detailing / trimming the return edge a bit better.

Already tried the thigh and shin, and even if I have not wore them right, I have a feeling they will be just a couple cms too long for me. I am not willing to trim the parts to fit me better on the lenght, so, I will have to live with it.

Btw, I am 1.78m high. Read somewhere that was the heigh of the actors playing the sandtroopers, so... Hopefully the armor wil fit right at the end.

Still need to trim the return edge and rim on the back of the knees as in ANH armor. I think that will help.

Ayway, here is a picture.

Posted Image

Saludos.

Looks good Juan.

Thx bro!!! :)

Have made some progress during the weekend.

Still far from finished but getting there slowly.

So far, all the limbs are done, need just to add the knee plate and the thigh ammo pack.

Most of the wire brackets and elastics are in place, only need to join the kedney and butt to the back.

Next, would be adding all detailing like shoulder bridges, finishing the belt and all the elastics.

Have fixed the chestplate to the ab plate and just tried it to see if it would fit, but i think it is a bit too long for me. Might just trim the neck line a bit, or maybe try longer elastics fromthe chest to the ab. What do you guys think would be better? Paul?

Also finished the thermal detonator, looks really cool imho.

Here are a few pictures, hope you like them...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Finally, I am about to glue the knee plate to the shin, but cant find a good reference for how to trim it.

I think they are not right, a bit long towards the back, and not sure about the return edge, does anybody have a better reference of real screen used armoror a screen grab that shows how to trim it.

Here are two picts of my knee plate... What do you think?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thx for any comments.

Saludos.

Juan.

Knee plate looks good as is. The trimming varied on screen from very little flashing to a lot, so I would offer it up as is and see what you think. You can always trim more off if like.

For the body being long, you can make longer loops which will allow the chest to overlap more. But, I would wait until you have assembled the full torso to see how it feels before you make any permanent changes like cutting the neck line.

Thx Paul. Will do. 

Now that I am starting to make this kit look like an armor, lots of questions as appearing in my mind.

Will be asking a lot of them iin the following weeks.... ;)

I have been struggling with two ideas, and been trying to let them live in peace together: 501st (Centurion) vs Armor replica.

I guess if my armor is a replica, it should be allowed/approved to all 501st standards and levels. But there are so many gray spots in the CRL and... i think I read somewhere that this precise issue was discussed, not really remembering what was the conclusion. Not looking to start a debate here at this thread or time, but that is in my mind atm.

THX for all your help.

Saludos.

Thx Paul.

I will attach the knee plate as it is and go from there.

I am now trying to tackle the belt...

Question about the drop boxs, never thought I would be building something like that hehehe... So, how are they attached to the elastic, is it gkued and riveted, and riveted to the belt too, or is it only glue?

Will leave those last. Going to focus on the plastic belt, cloth belt and holster for the next couple of hours or so.

saludos.

I just did the drop boxes on my build and Locitus was nice enough to post me some images and info.

The elastic is looped around the belt and is attached with one cap rivet on the backside of the DB (ie. the inner DB).

On my phone and don't know how to link but check out Locitus picture on my build. Post #45.

I think it paints a better picture then I could. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

So, I tried to finish the belt, but faced a problem, I dont know which hardware goes where... This is my first experience with accurate strapping so I have doubts, even if I thinkI have deduced most of the parts.

Posted Image

So...

Dark green: bucket rivets

Red: Ears screws and knotts

Light green: 6 Split rivets for torso side. 1 split rivet for crotch. 1 extra???

Yellow: 2 rivets for knee pack. And the other 6???

Purple:???

Blue:???

I know I will need 3 rivets to fix the plastic belt to the cloth belt. Could they be the yellow ones?

Also, rivets to fix the drop boxes to the elastic and the holster to the belt, but, cant figure out which goe where?

I guess I will need ro figure this out/get the proper info before moving forward.

Paul, hipe you can throw some light over this for me.

Thx for your help.

Saludos.

I just did the drop boxes on my build and Locitus was nice enough to post me some images and info.

The elastic is looped around the belt and is attached with one cap rivet on the backside of the DB (ie. the inner DB).

On my phone and don't know how to link but check out Locitus picture on my build. Post #45.

I think it paints a better picture then I could. :)

Thx a lot bro. Will do.

;)

Saludos.

From my own build / research I would say

Yellow ones: yes.

2 for thigh ammo pack.

3 for main belt

2 for drop boxes (1 each)

1 extra :)

Blue ones: Looks like the holster attachment rivets. 2 for stunt and 4 for hero.

Purple ones: the only place I can see them is on the original strapping brackets. Maybe extras for them?

That's my thoughts on this but I would wait for a more experienced builder to chime in on this.

The drop box elastics loop over the belt and attach to the back of the box with a cap rivet. You can add some glue too if you wish for extra hold. The looped elastic hangs between the rivet and snap on your belt and you most likely have to trim a curve out of the elastic so it does not foul the snap. Then you glue the elastic in place directly to the canvas belt to stop it moving.

In your photo, the fixings are:

Yellow = Ammo belt, knee strap, drop boxes.

Blue = Helmet

Red = Ear caps

Light Green = Abdomen - kidney, cod

Dark Green = Holster rivets

Purple = spare bracket bolts

The drop box elastics loop over the belt and attach to the back of the box with a cap rivet. 

Hey there,

I heard about the dropbox loops being afixed with rivets rather than glued on the back of the boxes before but I can't find a reference pic for this. In fact, the only good pic I've found in the reference pic library is this one here:

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/gallery/image/904-belt-01/

and I can't see a cap rivet on the dropbox. Are there any other sources I'm not aware of ? Give me your knowledge, Paul !  :D

Awesome!

That is exactly what I needed!

Thx a lot Paul!!

And Thx Maxim too!

I will start working on this soon, but have loads of work from today till friday so probably not going to be able to progress at all till the weekend.

Damn job!

Saludos.

Just like to say that I admire the carefree build style you've adopted. I think I'm one of the one's that Paul has described that is being too fussy with my build (my excuse for my lack of progress).

Is it hard "letting go" and stopping yourself from sanding everything smooth?

Good luck to you on the rest of your build.

Andy

Just like to say that I admire the carefree build style you've adopted. I think I'm one of the one's that Paul has described that is being too fussy with my build (my excuse for my lack of progress).

Is it hard "letting go" and stopping yourself from sanding everything smooth?

Good luck to you on the rest of your build.

Andy

THX Andy, 

It was a logic decision for me. After trying to build replicas in the looks for a few years, I  thought I needed to go Full replica from the materials, to assembly to looks. And it has been a lot of fun for me!!

I think this is not the way for every build for everybody. Fortunately, there is room for everyone in this hobby.

Saludos.