My project: from a TM kit to a Tantive IV Boarding Party Stormtrooper

I've been in this hobby for a few years now, started from a *cough cough* recast *cough cough* FX kit, to what now I consider a quiet accurate Sandtrooper TE2 armor with all the needed gear. It has been a long, looooooong journey, with lots of reading, researching and learning from the armor experts in this and other communities, within and outside the 501st.

Have build a couple replica helmet attempts in the past, and still have to finish a JoeR bucket in the SE Santrooper fashion, and e Set for Stunt replica from a Cap-W bucket...

But now I will starting to tackle one of my most ambitious projects, an ANH stunt Stormtrooper full "replica" armor. And even if I have not yet decided wether if to replicate an exact trooper, or just replicate the look and feel, this build will be inspired by the Boarding Party taking control of the Tantive IV in ANH. For me, as for many others, those ARE the original Stormtroopers.

So now...

Just yesterday my new TM armor arrived. It is a 1.5 flexible kit with all the original strapping and newey buttons, and the such. Also got a replica belt and an accurate holster and latex handguards. And even a new pair of TKboots which I am deciding if I should dye black and then paint them white, while I can find the real deal. For blaster I already have a doopydoos pipe kit with lots of extra parts and modifications.

I have not worked in TK armor in years, but I am currently helping a freind (Mrs. Fett), to build her ATA kit so I have started practicing and finding out all the little differences from TD armor for real and not just in theory.

It will be a very long road, but I am comfident that probably a year from now, I will have what I can only see in my mind now: a "real" Stormtrooper armor.

So, here are a few pictures just case I know we all love to see pictures... My TM kit fresh from the oven!!

7E8EA6F1-59F1-4142-B98B-391DA29ECA29-164-000000099E70AB9D.jpg

FCE8F8A9-113C-410F-997C-BF8592461FF1-164-00000009CF66FFE4.jpg

8B7AF203-E2A1-4827-B9F2-002D0DDFA131-164-00000009C038DE9B.jpg

982460EA-4216-4FBE-8A94-EBC854EF7586-164-00000009B024D7BA.jpg

FC6A6451-4BE1-4D85-9842-07AFE8563870-164-00000009D6EBB3DD.jpg

E4300915-144E-4689-BAA9-2AE19BBE5285-164-00000009DE55530B.jpg

7FCB5CE1-CBF5-4DA1-AC52-F99A22F88901-164-00000009E964F2E1.jpg

0045E730-352A-4A59-AECA-E5409C8E49AF-164-00000009B6E9119A.jpg

This will be a slow project, but hopefully it will be interesting and I know it will be exciting for me!

:)

Saludos

Juan

I'll be watching this thread with great interest!

Good luck!

Thx Karin,

I still have a debt with you. I believe a owe you some postcards and maybe a few other things. ;)

Saludos.

Just an idea: Build an awesome pristine armor, and then...beat the heck out of it!

Kick it around, throw it to the ground, sit on it,etc! Then use some white gaffer's tape to fix it et voila! Authentic Tantive IV!

Piece of cake! You just need the courage to abuse a TM....

Edit: No worries ;) ,mi amigo!

Edited by Sonnenschein

wow...seems like you got a lot of time in your hands Juan, awesome that your putting it to good use....i too will be watching this build closely....good luck my friend..

but with all your experience, you'll probably fly through this....have fun mate..

wow...seems like you got a lot of time in your hands Juan, awesome that your putting it to good use....i too will be watching this build closely....good luck my friend..

but with all your experience, you'll probably fly through this....have fun mate..

LOL!!!

Actually bro, I work probably +60 hrs a week, have a 2 yr old daughter and lots of family activities. So my armor building time is reduced to maybe 3 hours a week.

That is why I plan to work this over the next year. It took my 3 years to finish my sandtrooper armor up to my own standard. Being a perfectionist, patience is something I have developed.

Thx for you comments bros. This is going to be fun.

Saludos.

This is going to be an awesome build Juan. I am really looking forward to seeing your progress on making what I believe to be the best looking troopers in ANH - The Tantive IV Raiders. I don't know how far you are going with this (i.e. cracks with gaffa tape etc...) but some serious weathering and maybe on-set repair jobs will look fantastic.

Take your with your build and don't worry how long it takes. Do a good job and ask as many questions as you need. Remember to use original armour and screen caps for the ultimate references.

Good luck :duim:

THX everyone... I am very excited about this project, and the TM kit is just a piece of art. Really, had never seen one up close before or seen the kind of details that Paul go into with all the accurate parts and hardware, I will do my best to build the armor and make justice to the awesome kit and all the work that has been put into it for so many years!!

And yes Paul, I have one golden rule above all the rest, and it is something you told me about 3 years ago: If you use other peoples work as reference, you will end up with a copy of a copy. Only use screen grabs or real armor images for reference. And I have tried to follow that to the last single letter!

It will take some time, probably more time spent in reading, researching, comparing and discussing, that actually working on the armor, but I want this to be all what I have dream about!

I realize many ppl might not have seen some of my prior work, so just to give everyone an idea, here are two picts... one of my current TD armor, and the other of a replica Set for Stun lid I build a couple years ago (I love posting pictures!!!!).

TD8800-67.jpg

securedownload.jpeg

Saludos

Juan

Edited by iconoclasta_88
  • Like 1

I don't know how far you are going with this (i.e. cracks with gaffa tape etc...) but some serious weathering and maybe on-set repair jobs will look fantastic.

I don`t really know yet. HEHEHE!

I am not 100% about cracking the armor for real, but I will definitely go for the gaffer's tape and on set repairs look. Also, weathering and black scuffs; of course trimming following the kind of trimming job done on ANH and other stuff.

I am one step closer... I already have the gaffer's tape. Real from film making industry.

c255d9e8.jpg

I'm glad I'm not the only one doing the 60 hours two kids.

How are you going to tackle this project. I'm not clear on what you could physically do to improve the TM other than weathering.

Thanks

I am not planning to modify the armor, just trimming it the way it should be, put it together with the right techniques and meticulously emulate the clumsy (care free) style we see in ANH.

Weathering, and all the correct hardware will help me get the right look!

Lets see how it goes. I am not really sure of everything now, just have a goal in mind and will try to go for it.

Saludos.

I don't recommend adding the crack intentionally. As screen accurate as they are, let them happen naturally and deal with them as and when.

For trimming, you might be better off using a knife and fork to get close to how they were on set. Seriously. The original armour is terrible. I wouldn't go for any set measurements on return edges. Just leave enough for the strapping screws and don't worry if the edges look thin. You can always screw them through the face of the armour rather than the return edge. Use a craft or exacto knife for a wonky cut. No place for clean lines on original armour.

I agree with Jay....that is one killer TD, with all that effort and detail put into that TD and TK bucket, this build will be amazing....

You've done some awesome work there Juan... Bravo...

• 3 months later...

Hi guys!

Have been off the hobby for some time... just logging in sporadically mainly to keep up with my MEPD tasks... 

Lots of work since october/november and not time at all to work on armor.

But I am back and will start working on my armor in a couple of weeks.

Just wanted to say hi and and keep updated anyone that might be interested in my progress.

Stay tunned, this is going slowly, but still going.

Saludos.

Juan.

Hi Juan,

Good to hear you will be back on with this project soon. Looking forward to seeing your progress on this build and hope you don't keep us waiting too long :P J/K. Take your time mate and have fun with everything.

Paul is in a fun mood! It must be "wine" o'clock already :)