Adam Savage on Recasting

Evilboy

• 9 months later...

You shouldn't be - the Legion's stance is clear. However the Legion is one part of the costuming and prop building community (think of them in a Venn diagram). Thus each community may have different perspectives. And that's just Star Wars. Want a new opinion? Start talking to scale modelers, or train builders. Yeesh, you think we're bad. :-p

You shouldn't be - the Legion's stance is clear. However the Legion is one part of the costuming and prop building community (think of them in a Venn diagram). Thus each community may have different perspectives. And that's just Star Wars. Want a new opinion? Start talking to scale modelers, or train builders. Yeesh, you think we're bad. :-p

Go on. I want to hear about the modelers.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

• 2 years later...

There is another situation which was not touched on in the video. Some of us in the film industry, mainly those that design and fabricate live fire futuristic weapons own the design. See, we rent those props to the studio. We don't have a written contract per se so the there is no " copyright: work for hire". Studios don't own those particular weapons/props... we do. If someone pulls molds from one of those and begins to sell without permission from myself or another fabricator in the same situation, we are the victims not the studio.<br><br>

I did a weapon for a project some years back. A member of the RPF got a hold of one of them and pulled a mold. Not only did he make a run of them available to the RPF, he took that and went to the studio for a license. He showed them my work as his own. Lol Naturally, I was contacted to verify the piece because the studio saw that it was dead on. Now, I had everything crushed there. However, he still made money off me. The RPF's rules state that if the original artist is a RPF member, you need to get permission from him first. Well, he didn't. But what I find funny is the RPF took the position that since I'm a professional, I don't fall under their rules and hence they felt this recaster was in the clear. What the RPF didn't realize is that I retain IP of those weapons when I rent "my creations". <br><br>

Now, this is just one example. There are other situations where it gets tricky. But I'm just touching base on live fire weapons I design and fabricate and the studio only rents.